Fiji Race 2010

Quarter Pint

Sorrry forgive my ignorance on this topic but what does FBI stand for? Thought it was an American inteligence organisation (I know a contradiction in terms isnt it)

Really, so it required a Coup to stop the Melanisian Fijians being discriminatory to the Indian Fijians?

Fiji born Indian. My ex military life still affects me with the use of acronyms

Yep, that was pretty much the crux of the deal. Like all these things it is way more complex than that but the foreshore/seabed thing was one of the catalysts.

Sorrry forgive my ignorance on this topic but what does FBI stand for? Thought it was an American inteligence organisation (I know a contradiction in terms isnt it)

Really, so it required a Coup to stop the Melanisian Fijians being discriminatory to the Indian Fijians?

Fiji born Indian. My ex military life still affects me with the use of acronyms

Yep, that was pretty much the crux of the deal. Like all these things it is way more complex than that but the foreshore/seabed thing was one of the catalysts.

Not sure I buy the official line sorry, but hey I know all the xpats and kiwis who have invested large are happy cause the new regeme protects them too.

Dont really give a sh*t but just dont trust those who muzzle the media, I have never seen a honest and open administration need to do it.

Good luck

RAYC are having a 'Weather Talk' tomorrow night.

It starts at 7pm and is being held at the RAYC Clubrooms.

All welcome, free entry, and the bar will be open from 5pm....

(Sorry - I forgot to confirm who the speaker is, but I think it is going to be Bob Mcdavitt)

If it is Bob someone mention Global Warming. It's like giving a can of Red Bull to a 5yo.... off like a very powerful rocket. Bloody funny to watch but also a great listen to his take on it all. He is a very interesting and knowledgeable dude even at normal pace :thumbup:

My word. That is impressive.

In the old days we didn't need a website with a countdown to the launch - every half hour someone would come by and say: "Do you realise you've only got x days till she goes in the water?". :lol:

To all race competitors:

Official Race Briefing, Customs finalising & Bula Farewell Party Night: RAYC Tuesday 18th May, 6pm - compulsary attendance required - please call Kevin, RAYC office on 524 9945 for more details (if you have not already received them)

This is to be followed a "BULA FAREWELL" from 7pm - dress 'tropical'

All crew and supporters welcome - theme 'tropical attire' lots of raffles and door prizes to be won!

...the Corinthain Division leaves the following day - lets give them a good send off!!

Am I blind? Where are there any updates on the race on the RAYC site or here? Unfortunately I'm in Suva on my way to Kadavu tomorrow for a job so will miss the finish (and will be out of internet coverage probably)

I'm sure there'll be plenty of updates once the race actually starts. (this week! Wed for cruisers, Sat for racers)

Janine (Bullrush) and Revs are usually very good at keeping us informed...

Dont worry Pete - you havent missed anything yet - our Corinthians start tomorrow, and the rest this Saturday!!

I havent got an SSB set up at home (yet - hopefully in the next few days) and the skeds are being done by Taupo Maritime Radio (not RAYC) this year, but I'm sure I will be able to glean some information for you all!

A number of the boats have Sat phones this year, so some might phone and the reports posted here..

Weather was looking more than a little dodgy last night - Ant afraid of a repeat of last year..seems to have calmed down a little this morning he says...

The Corinthian Division will start from Orakei at 2.00pm today, start boat 'Akarana'

There will be two starters, Cheetah II, a Chico 30 skippered by Michael Potter and Farrago II, a Farr 38, skippered by Cameron Maher.

Conditions for the start are expected to be a light 10 knot breeze on the beam, building significantly tomorrow, but promising an exciting ride, and the possibility of rain.

Both boats will be fitted with tracking units, and a link will be running from the www.RAYC.org.nz site tonight for updates.

For anyone wanting to tune in for skeds:

The freq. is 4146, with Taupo Maritime (Wellington).

The four boats with Sat phones will call in approx. 6.00 am and pm and their positions broadcast to the other competitors prior to roll call at 6.15 am and pm.

Live tracking will be available (as long as the boats remember to reset their units each day!) with extra updates provided by RAYC (on website) approx 1 hour after sked times.

According to race tracker they are off. Not exactly blasting along. Farrago around North Head after an hour but not quite past Rangi yet. Doing 2.4kts. Cheetah report half an hour older, they were only doing 1.4kts and to the south of North Head.

I've not heard from the guys on Farrago yet. They will be busy getting anything out of the light winds.

Archived