Seafaring nation?

1 hour ago, Fish said:

You asked me that yesterday. I'd sail to NZ, we are far more reasonable than the French.

My point is, this thing was framed as a humanitarian issue, "We must get out of the Pacific or face certain death from Cyclones".

People around here have been posting as if the NZ govt are turning away Syrian refugees arriving at out border. That would be a humanitarian issue. Right at the start, in one of the press releases, one of these cruisers said they didn't want to pay the $1,000 application fee to go into Fiji. What is wrong with going to Fiji, they will let you in.

In reality, the issue is they don't want to overstay in FP, and can't get a visa extension. This whole issue is being dressed up as something that it is not.

I wonder if that is correct.  Yesterday for the first time I heard the guy from OCC speak.  There was none of that  he was accurate and low key, even when pushed by the interviewer  .  So i wonder how much of that could be attributed to the media. 

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't see how they would be 'stuck' in Tahiti? With a Carte de Seyjour, they could easily sail to Nuka Hiva or sail to the eastern Tuamotu for hurricane season, or even Hawaii to the north. The

Well yes there sort of is rational and sort of a sh*t load of it. As noted they did ask to come and were told No so what did they do, they thought f*ck you new Zealand, f*ck your laws, f*ck the r

They want to come to NZ not because their son died, not because of weather problems, but because their broker says the yacht will sell more easily here. They left and buried their son in the uk,

Posted Images

The first post in this thread is based on a Herald article. The Herald is renowned for click bait journalism and being economical with facts so as to present one side of a story, to work people up into a lather and click on more headlines...

However, RNZ did report this statement from the Ocean Cruising Clud:

The club said lives and property were at risk, but the latest official response revealed a misunderstanding around the logistics of boat travel.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/426508/foreign-yachties-say-lives-now-at-risk-from-nz-decision

2 hours ago, Black Panther said:

I wonder if that is correct.  Yesterday for the first time I heard the guy from OCC speak.  There was none of that  he was accurate and low key, even when pushed by the interviewer  .  So i wonder how much of that could be attributed to the media. 

I heard that and he struggled to put up any form of solid case and he sounded a little winey. I thought it was more harmful than helpful.

600 people in Fiji would, or could if so many weren't tight arses, have a big impact on their economy, way bigger and arguably way more needed there than they would do for the NZ economy.

30 minutes ago, 2flit said:

So.... If we are taking about the specific case of the Germans; They are EU citizens and can remain in French Polynesia. They would not have been kicked out of FP or had their "time run out"

Tuamotus are pretty desolate if you stay too long and Papeete is hella expensive and has Covid .

I reckon they went for the soft touch option and free flight home .

Anyone want to comment on the legal requirements of ships crew leaving ships in a foreign port? Surely these guys don't need a visa to get from the port to the airport? They are allowed off the ship to go and see a GP, if it is arranged with via the ships agent, aren't they?

If a yacht made commercial arrangements to park up a boat for a while, what is to stop them from sailing into NZ, all the foreign crew using the commercial ships crew legal rights to get from the port to the airport, flying home, and leaving the boat in a marina or such like?

1 hour ago, Fish said:

Surely these guys don't need a visa to get from the port to the airport?

So this is not different to flying into Auckland, catching a domestic flight to Wellington, and departing for Australia.  A visa is of course required for this.  Even flight crew overnighting are issued special Visa's.

"these guys", to just get to the Airport, (a) needed an exemption for their vessel; (b) needed a exemption for entry under the critical workers rules; (c) needed to be granted a Visa (d) needed to comply with isolation requirements

These are the same rules that apply to a commercial vessel and its crew.