Seafaring nation?

8 hours ago, Fogg said:

The boat depicted in the article....The "Solandge" was birthed next to us before we left San Diego two years ago. They were practicing helicopter landing on the aft deck all day long.... allot of noise. We heard they were trying to get things ready for the owners imminent arrival. The whole thing with these super yachts getting in makes me feel like I got drug thru a knothole backwards, arrrrgh!

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't see how they would be 'stuck' in Tahiti? With a Carte de Seyjour, they could easily sail to Nuka Hiva or sail to the eastern Tuamotu for hurricane season, or even Hawaii to the north. The

Well yes there sort of is rational and sort of a sh*t load of it. As noted they did ask to come and were told No so what did they do, they thought f*ck you new Zealand, f*ck your laws, f*ck the r

They want to come to NZ not because their son died, not because of weather problems, but because their broker says the yacht will sell more easily here. They left and buried their son in the uk,

Posted Images

With ze Germans - i note that French Polynesia is up to 2,000+ cases of coronavirus at this point, which might indicate why they wanted to leave somewhere they knew they could stay,

With regards to the ultra-rich and their superyachts - while a single superyacht might well spend more than the entire cruising fleet of "normal" rich people that want to get here, they (the super rich) should also be told to politely f-off somewhere else.

Closed is closed is closed, with one rule for all.

16 hours ago, wkavinsky said:

With ze Germans - i note that French Polynesia is up to 2,000+ cases of coronavirus at this point, which might indicate why they wanted to leave somewhere they knew they could stay,

With regards to the ultra-rich and their superyachts - while a single superyacht might well spend more than the entire cruising fleet of "normal" rich people that want to get here, they (the super rich) should also be told to politely f-off somewhere else.

"Closed is closed is closed, with one rule for all."

Haha, what colour is the ocean on your planet?

17 hours ago, wkavinsky said:

Obviously your one eyed view means you don't rely on these guys been let in for income and been able to pay a mortgage and feed your family.

These guys provide income to allot of businesses which also you probably buy gear from as well for your boat but its these bigger boats that keep these businesses afloat so if they go tits up because these big boats cannot come in where will you get your gear from. 

I don't buy the 'we must let them in for the marine industry' as most of the industry has f*ck all to do with either superboats or cruzers.

Sure a handful of companies may be struggling without them now but I'd argue there is a case some of those have brought that on themselves. I'm sure many will now exactly what I mean.

Tourism is struggling so if we open to support the marine industry on economic grounds so does that mean those calling for the boats to be allowed in are also calling for skiers, trampers, caravanners, freedom campers and anyone or thing related to tourism?

What about schooling? That industry is bigger than marine so if the boats come in then why not all the students as awell

What about simple things like training aircraft pilots, NZ has quite a big industry training pilots from all over the world and for many airlines, those calling for the boats to be allowed in must be calling for all those pilots as well.

Farm workers, again a industry bigger than marine so if the boats can come in them why surely all the desperately needed farm workers can as well.

Where do you draw the line?

As unlikely and 'you're dreamin' as wkavinsky's one rule for all comment is, when you look hard at it that's exactly what it should be...but as BK correctly points out is not.

Totally different argument, sorry. General tourists (by plane) pose a huge and difficult to control (expensive to quarantine) risk to NZ.

The cruising sailboats, on the other hand, are easy to quarantine (anchor out, remove dinghy, or behind barriers on wharf/marina) for the little time they have left in quarantine. Then take the economic benefit that they can provide. 

On a daily basis, the average cruiser will spend less than the average tourist, but as they are here longer, and often refit, it adds up...

Little risk, with good benefits, we should do it. IMO.

5 hours ago, Bad Kitty said:

"Closed is closed is closed, with one rule for all."

Haha, what colour is the ocean on your planet?

4 hours ago, Gappy said:

Obviously your one eyed view means you don't rely on these guys been let in for income and been able to pay a mortgage and feed your family.

These guys provide income to allot of businesses which also you probably buy gear from as well for your boat but its these bigger boats that keep these businesses afloat so if they go tits up because these big boats cannot come in where will you get your gear from. 

I don't, personally support letting anyone in, regardless of what they do, or their net worth - that's the messaging for the government, and, to be really frank, as soon as there is one exception, there will be more. Everyone is desperate for people, or has some solid reason for being let in.

That being said, if we have an exemption for super yachts, who can count time on passage as quarantine, and also quarantine (with their crew) on the quarantine dock in the city center (yeah that's not risky), we should also have an exemption in place for the cruisers in the South Pacific who would normally come here for the cyclone season - the same risk applies there.

Hell, find an island we can station a navy cruiser at, have people serve out their quarantine there, and then let them sail into NZ, and clear as normal, then there's no risk, but again, you get onto exemptions for others, etc, etc.

It's a slippery slope with no good answers, hence the closed is closed mindset.

Makes it all simple to administer.

What defines a super yacht?? 100ft owned by a billionaire or joe average who is more likely to spend more as there are more joe averages around.

The border is shut end of story except for a rugby team And Yes I have issues with that as well.