Seafaring nation?

It depends on the source of capital and the alternatives uses you’re comparing it against. If you’re comparing it against investing $1m in new plant (also a depreciating asset) in a growing business that will obviously generate more positive economic activity for the NZ economy than the boat. But if you’re comparing it against sitting as dormant equity that could be released at relatively low cost (eg $30,000 pa) to generate new economic activity (eg $50,000 pa) then you’ve got a small net gain.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't see how they would be 'stuck' in Tahiti? With a Carte de Seyjour, they could easily sail to Nuka Hiva or sail to the eastern Tuamotu for hurricane season, or even Hawaii to the north. The

Well yes there sort of is rational and sort of a sh*t load of it. As noted they did ask to come and were told No so what did they do, they thought f*ck you new Zealand, f*ck your laws, f*ck the r

They want to come to NZ not because their son died, not because of weather problems, but because their broker says the yacht will sell more easily here. They left and buried their son in the uk,

Posted Images

Slightly related, Tahiti PM catches it.

The latest official figure showed French Polyensia had 2754 cases of which 633 were active.

In July, the borders were reopened and mandatory quarantine requirements were abolished in order to boost tourism and revive the economy.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/428117/french-polynesia-president-tests-covid-19-positive

6 hours ago, Fish said:

Slightly related, Tahiti PM catches it.

The latest official figure showed French Polyensia had 2754 cases of which 633 were active.

In July, the borders were reopened and mandatory quarantine requirements were abolished in order to boost tourism and revive the economy.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/428117/french-polynesia-president-tests-covid-19-positive

FP Active cases.png

FP Daily New Cases.png

Meanwhile, 450 Russian sailors are coming in to work on NZ boats... Admittedly, I have a vague idea why NZer's wouldn't want to work in deep sea fishing for 6 months at a time, even though there is a large number of NZ'ers loosing their jobs.

But it shows the borders can be opened fairly easily, if you've made the appropriate donations to the appropriate secretive political foundation one would assume (reference to NZ First being in the pocket of the fishing industry).

From a practical point of view, the fishing companies are paying for the isolation, but I thought the whole issue was the constraints on capacity and suitably qualified / experienced isolation staff - hence why the cruisers couldn't come in.

The only issue after that is when will the cruisers leave again. The UK family want to leave as fast as they can. Russian sailors, there is fairly good rules around those guys not staying in the country. I'd be fascinated how those guys will go in isolation, sure they are used to being stuck on a ship for ages, but I don't know, I've got a stereotype in my head of heavy boozing and fighting.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/123082031/russians-jet-in-to-save-new-zealands-beleaguered-deepsea-fishing-industry

One of the key issues for the govt may be the exit options for anyone entering NZ.  Ths is where the cruising fraternity run foul.

Anyone entering on a specific purposes work visa HAS to have a statement from the employer guaranteeing return or repatriation at the end of the visa.  I know - I write them.  Fruit pickers, russian fishers, american AC sailors, strippers and CEOs all have to have a repatriation guarantee.

Visitor visa holders do not.  It has just been assumed that they will go.  Currently, that cannot be assumed since there may well be nowhere for them to go.  This especially while COVID-19 MkII is now spreading across the northern hemisphere.

Forget about what the quarintine requirements might be if cruisers enter - I'm picking that is not the issue.  The issue is probably exit strategy and the risk of them becoming long-term residents by accident.