Altex #5 extra coats

Hi all,

About to antifoul my lotus 9.2 that lives in the Mahurangi.  I've been recommended #5 and have got 4l (enough apparently for 2 coats plus a bit for rudder etc).

I'm keen on some opinions as to whether its worth getting another can and getting some extra coats on. how much is too much?

The boat spends a lot of time static and has long periods between cleans.....

look forward to your thoughts...

The rule of thumb with antifouls is simple, one year one coat, two years two coats etc. To a point the more you put on to get the right film thickness, the better. Lay it on really wet so it "melts" and smooths out. Dont roll it out like you would a normal paint, keep the tin stirred and the roller loaded. Dont be afraid to spend money on paint, its cheap compared to the cost and hassle of hauling.

Want real advice, call the techline and ask a boffin.

15 hours ago, slanty said:

Thanks guys. I talked to Altex and they recommend up to 150 micron dry which I'm going to try and get with 4 roller coats. Anyone got any thoughts about how 'multi year' #5 is when laid on thick?

Further thoughts, as time goes by the paint gets less effective. its never as good as the first 6 months unfortunately but it still works ok after a few years. Ideally you want your cleaning routine to match your haulout plans so that by the time you do most of the paint has ablated. What you dont want is a build up of ineffective paint that starts flaking. In the old days with hard AF's you had to go through the scraping back to basecoat routine regularly as the toxins leached out leaving a hard useless matrix behind  but with modern AF's not so much. I use Ultra which is meant to be "hard' but the boat hasnt been scraped since forever because it's cleaned regularly. No 5. is meant to be self cleaning but for a yacht we simply dont go fast enough for that to really work so you have to give it a wipe from time to time, if youre inclined to snorkel on your boat then a soft sponge is the way to go- never use a scotchbrite if you can help it and it's good to remember that those clouds of paint are $$ coming off plus they're pretty toxic  :) 

18 hours ago, Battgirl said:

For my 9.5 mtr I too use hard antifoul and put it on with those tiny rollers unthinned. I get 2 full coats, 3 on leading edges and still have a little left over. 

Wow how do you do that. What anti foul do you use. I have just gone back in the water, antifouled on a warm day with no thinners and don't get 2 full coats. Might have to change the type off roller next year.

Have never had cover like what you get.

29 minutes ago, chariot said:

Wow how do you do that. What anti foul do you use. I have just gone back in the water, antifouled on a warm day with no thinners and don't get 2 full coats. Might have to change the type off roller next year.

Have never had cover like what you get.

I would advise against thin foamys, use a mohair with a 5mm knap. I used to use the yellow ones in the misguided belief that multiple thin coats was the way to go but after long talks with the paint techs and subsequent experience has shown generous paint application is the way to get a good film build up and a smooth finish. Talk to the paint tech for your particular brand on how to do it, they all emphasise managing film thickness and preferably airless spraying for the best result.