Coastal 2020

1 hour ago, Veladare said:

Ok I stand corrected, I did that one but thought it was 200... to much grey matter these days

You could be right. It blew like stink from the north. About 120 boats pulled the pin. Lots of broken boats in Tuts on Saturday morning.

Most boats ever was 275, forget the year but close to 2001. Perhaps the 21st race, maybe 2003? 

SSANZ gets more entries these days because it starts and stops in Auckland and the two crew on board are back in their own beds by midnight. The after race get togethers have stopped altogether and I don’t meant the island party. I recall when groups gathered at the squadron or swashbucklers after the races.

Also for that reason Coastal is an expensive and difficult race to run. Especially in a town, at times, indifferent to the race. Throw in accomodation, 2 sets of race officers, logistics, water taxi’s, councils.

SSANZ is not immune to retirements, look at this years long race, or most years actually where one race is a blow.

coastal is cat3 as opposed to SSANZ cat 4 and cat 3 certs only last for 2 years now. Also half the SSANZ fleet don’t even need a phrf. Another hundred every year

Coastal prizegiving used to be Sunday morning but it got embarrassing to the sponsors at the few people there. So many left after finishing, after the party, early in the morning.

Drifters will happen. I recall on sundreamer finishing late Saturday afternoon. 

its not a small boat race which isn’t necessarily a bad thing anymore than making all the boats in SSANZ sail the long course. Because the bigger boats finish in breeze it is very hard for smaller boats to finish in the overall results. They could start Thursday night but chances are they could spend 2 nights drifting. And would they not want to be part of the start parade?

I’m sure coastal will stay as it is for a long time yet. 

• Upvote 2
17 hours ago, Fish said:

The issue for me is the cut off time.

Yup, this is it for me, too. Either make the cutoff 19.45 and start the prize giving at 20h then party at 21 or have no cutoff because all but the very slowest boats would be in by the time the prize giving starts, and it’s less likely that those last few boats are going to feature in the prizes. 

Who won the cockle shell hero trophy this year? Used to go to the smallest boat to finish. Be a bit embarrassing to walk away with that trophy even though you were sailing a 35footer, or a 40...

bf03de20-e8b6-41e6-bde6-43126bcbe887.png

Who would have thought we’d see less than 20 boats make the finish, and an intrepid fleet of the same size slogging it out until the bitter end at 3pm Saturday?

It’s 2020’s favourite expression: unprecedented, and a test of the fine print in the Sailing Instructions that nobody has paid much attention to, until now. For those who continued racing until 3pm, you “will be eligible for separate prizes which may be awarded if finishing in this manner”.

We know some of you are feeling the prizegiving didn’t acknowledge the efforts that the on-water finishers put in, and we agree. We will be honouring the clause above and rest assured that since Saturday, we have been pivoting (the other favourite 2020 word) to create a solution to reward you for your hard work. Stay tuned, we will announce how, when and where shortly.

The NZMYC committee, organizers of the PIC Coastal Classic, have only admiration for the perseverance shown on the water in all divisions. The race saw a true display of sportsmanship and commitment to the race from those who finished in Russell, finished on the water, or decided to retire early only because they knew they couldn’t make it in time.   

To every weekend warrior who put months of preparation into this important event on NZ’s sailing calendar, you are the lifeblood of the PIC Coastal Classic. We are impressed at how many of you turned up for the prizegiving and danced until closing time at the afterparty. You are an inspiring lot, and we reckon if it weren’t for the light winds, this would have been our best race yet.

Thanks for your continued support of the race, and we hope to have you back in 2021!

- Greer Houston, New Zealand Multihull Yacht Club Commodore

• Upvote 1

So from this little discussion I take leave the dates and current start times-it works for most. Possibly allow finishers up till 18.30 on the Saturday -that would also work for everyone -except perhaps the poor sods on finish boat duty.

On a normal year most boats would have been in well before 3pm.

This year 16 finished before 1500, and 21 finished after that.  If the finish boat could have stayed there for another hour or two, then most of those boats would have got proper finish times.

• Upvote 1

Actually any boat still racing at 3pm will be awarded a place, just not a time. That applies if the boat hasn’t even cleared Rodney.

So reading that, a boat may still win line honours even if no boats in that division finish within the time limit. 

B3A9B7B1-E815-4FF8-A509-501D93E1E998.png

I'm just getting my head around winning line honours without crossing the line.

But there is a concept there. Its like a Mark Foy race in reverse. The boat furtherest up the race course at the cut off time wins.

So the objective is to travel as far as possible in a set time, rather than cover a set distance as fast as possible.

34 minutes ago, Deep Purple said:

Actually any boat still racing at 3pm will be awarded a place, just not a time. That applies if the boat hasn’t even cleared Rodney.

So reading that, a boat may still win line honours even if no boats in that division finish within the time limit. 

B3A9B7B1-E815-4FF8-A509-501D93E1E998.png

Yes I saw that, but there are prizes put up by sponsors for handicap Positions, what happens to the prizes? 

it entirely conceivable that in a division where three boats had crossed the line, a boat that finished a number of hours after the shutoff, could easily topple one of those three for a podium position on handicap and therefore a prize - ie something of value. 

In such a situation it might seem unfair and a deliberate attempt to keep the slower boats out of the prizes despite  the race officially being run under a handicap system. 

I assume that as prizes are often valued at over 50 bucks the giving of prizes needs to occur in a transparent manner?  Is there any scrutiny? Is $50 the limit? (That’s what it is for office sweepstakes, no? Same set of rules?)

25 minutes ago, Fish said:

So the objective is to travel as far as possible in a set time, rather than cover a set distance as fast as possible.

If no boat in a division crossed the line you could also do handicap prizes unter the same  method. Would make it super tactical.