+ve Burnsco Gulf Harbour

On 24/10/2020 at 12:37 PM, aardvarkash10 said:

Like the language of boats (why is a rope a sheet - its not flat, white and on the bed), the language of science can sometimes seem non-sensical.  Its not meant to make sense to a non-scientist.  

Its a rum thing.  Or is that rumb?  

Not wanting to sound too anal but....

most of our nautical terms are from old Norse (vikings) or Dutch.  A scete was the name of a sail and old English had it as SceteLine.  It was shortened to Scete and then shifted to Shete in old English (the same way Skiff and skirt from Dutch/Norse Shifted to ship and shirt)  

I don’t know about Rhumb but the Rh at the start looks Latin  

Halyard is easier.  It’s Rnhlish from Haul Yard.

I just thought You’d like to know.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

AJO look what is in my workshop.   A 1:24 scale radio controlled version of her, complete with twin drives with feathering propellers. Even the steering wheel works. Th

I know several of the people involved in this Auckland cluster. Covid test results in 30 hours.  People have got slack in level 1. Every business is still required to display a code. Even though

Its not hard to get the results if you give a sh*t. Takes less than 3 mins. Just phone your GP. Me and the missus got tested Friday night. My result was back by text 8:30 this morning, so 36 hrs

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, Addem said:

Not wanting to sound too anal but....

most of our nautical terms are from old Norse (vikings) or Dutch.  A scete was the name of a sail and old English had it as SceteLine.  It was shortened to Scete and then shifted to Shete in old English (the same way Skiff and skirt from Dutch/Norse Shifted to ship and shirt)  

I don’t know about Rhumb but the Rh at the start looks Latin  

Halyard is easier.  It’s Rnhlish from Haul Yard.

I just thought You’d like to know.

Addem - well done and thank you for posting a refreshing dose of well-educated insight. Please stick around and post here more frequently! 😊

Like the Dutch designed "schooners" that revolutionized modern sailing . . 

(large craft that could sail to weather like demons) 

"early 18th century: perhaps from dialect scun ‘skim along’, influenced by Dutch words . . " 

As I recall from a year or so ago, one of ya had a young 'un who was researching that in The Netherlands. 

How about an update ?  

CAPTAIN'S LOG: 25th Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race of 2014 – A story of  the "new" schooners…

4 hours ago, Fish said:

Just stating a fact KM, it takes all of 3 min to get your results. But of course if you do take some sort of personal responsibility and get your results, then you can't bitch about how hopeless the system is, ay?

PS, don't touch weeties, there is more energy in the milk that goes on them than the actual product, not to mention the tax dodging outfit that makes them.

No you are not stating a fact or anything like fact, you are only making assumptions and they are wrong.

For a start the calls take over 10min every time, this I know as I've made well over 20 of them probably closer to 30 of them, something you would have known if only you'd asked rather than launching straight into assumptions. Also not to my GP as he retired over 5 years ago so I don't have one, something you would have known if only you'd asked rather than launching straight into assumptions.

Need I continue ;)

Agree on the dodgy tax dodges. If region paid taxes just think of the good it could do rather than it's current helping sustain so much harm.

3 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

"early 18th century: perhaps from dialect scun ‘skim along’, influenced by Dutch words . . " 

As I recall from a year or so ago, one of ya had a young 'un who was researching that in The Netherlands. 

How about an update ?  

CAPTAIN'S LOG: 25th Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race of 2014 – A story of  the "new" schooners…

What about the boat on the left.......it looks very much like my avatar......the Pride of Baltimore II.

3 hours ago, It Got said:

No you are not stating a fact or anything like fact, you are only making assumptions and they are wrong.

For a start the calls take over 10min every time, this I know as I've made well over 20 of them probably closer to 30 of them, something you would have known if only you'd asked rather than launching straight into assumptions. Also not to my GP as he retired over 5 years ago so I don't have one, something you would have known if only you'd asked rather than launching straight into assumptions.

Need I continue ;)

Agree on the dodgy tax dodges. If region paid taxes just think of the good it could do rather than it's current helping sustain so much harm.

Facepalm!

I give up. You are right. I am wrong. 

There is no way I can compete with your superior logic...

Even if 10 min is shorter than 2 months, or 3 weeks.

6 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

How about an update ?  

Best I can tell, schooner is an Americanism from 18th century to describe the fast ships that race around Cape Horn from east to west. 

there are lots of words in Dutch german and English that appear to be cognate with it, most notably the scot word ‘Scon’ “ to skip like stone”. But the best sources think it’s Most likely to have been derived from slang. It is first attested in New England literature. 

the Dutch word Schoener is confirmed as having been picked up from English so that is not the origin. 

nobody knows why the glass of beer is called a schooner but everyone accepts it’s a fine idea somewhat more sensible than the yard glass. 

I think this is very definitely thread drift as I know nothing sensible about COVID.