+ve Burnsco Gulf Harbour

The Pride of Balmer (as the city is pronounced by locals) 2.0 (first one sunk tragically) 

is very well sailed - she took part in a War of 1812 re-enactment of which I played a small part. 

Here is a photo I took of her under sail. Like the Chasseur after which she is patterned, she is faster than she looks. 

(I am also sorry for the thread drift . . . sort of . . a little bit) 

Confessions of a Repentant War of 1812 Reenactor - OtherWords

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

AJO look what is in my workshop.   A 1:24 scale radio controlled version of her, complete with twin drives with feathering propellers. Even the steering wheel works. Th

I know several of the people involved in this Auckland cluster. Covid test results in 30 hours.  People have got slack in level 1. Every business is still required to display a code. Even though

Its not hard to get the results if you give a sh*t. Takes less than 3 mins. Just phone your GP. Me and the missus got tested Friday night. My result was back by text 8:30 this morning, so 36 hrs

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Addem said:

I think this is very definitely thread drift as I know nothing sensible about COVID. 

Well, no one else around here knows anything sensible about covid... 

Sounds like the Auckland maritime cluster is well contained, and it is a very pleasant thread drift. A nice alternative to KM and I trying to make sense of each other (or squable, as some may view it)

Please do keep the thread drift going :-)

AJO look what is in my workshop.

459348774_14Topsidespainted.thumb.jpg.d118d844cc47536c742dbb142e723032.jpg

A 1:24 scale radio controlled version of her, complete with twin drives with feathering propellers.

377179610_43Drives.thumb.jpg.cabe4301c179877874a6f569209865d3.jpg

Even the steering wheel works.

651052337_42Steering.thumb.jpg.90f7f6ef51b296e0d6de49b88b81b641.jpg

The rigging is fun there will be 170 metres of running rigging heres the test rig to sort out the sheeting systems.

1958866383_ATestRig.thumb.jpg.b4707c90e316db1fbd56aee7eabfe493.jpg

3 hours ago, Fish said:

Sounds like the Auckland maritime cluster is well contained, and it is a very pleasant thread drift. A nice alternative to KM and I trying to make sense of each other (or squable, as some may view it)

Please do keep the thread drift going :-)

Not so much a squabble just a demonstration on how just working on the headlines and not sussing any of the back story can lead you down some wrong path. Fish is the 3rd in the last 10 days odd to make the same mistake but he has taken it way better than Rabobank did, they have to reported me to the Financial something or other authority as the banks 'Special Agent Sam' (that's all she would say her name was so I kept calling her Agent 99) refused to believe I have a better knowledge of Sperm than she does. This is going to be a lot of fun.

Agree, I'm liking the tread drift. I'm keen as to know where Sloop is planning on finding such a tiny crew for it.

10 minutes ago, KM... said:

Not so much a squabble just a demonstration on

Well I've always looked at it as an intellectual game of chess, a reasoned debate and something that I enjoy, and thats not just because I'm always right ;-)

Its just that I think to others it may look like you and I are squabbling...

I hate to think how you have managed to upset your bank.

6 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

The Pride of Balmer (as the city is pronounced by locals) 2.0 (first one sunk tragically) 

is very well sailed - she took part in a War of 1812 re-enactment of which I played a small part. 

Here is a photo I took of her under sail. Like the Chasseur after which she is patterned, she is faster than she looks. 

(I am also sorry for the thread drift . . . sort of . . a little bit) 

Confessions of a Repentant War of 1812 Reenactor - OtherWords

I get the fact that USAeans are a proud bunch, but that big flappy thing at the back must hurt up wind, not to mention rattling the dags of ship and crew?

57 minutes ago, Fish said:

Well I've always looked at it as an intellectual game of chess, a reasoned debate and something that I enjoy, and thats not just because I'm always right ;-)

Its just that I think to others it may look like you and I are squabbling...

I hate to think how you have managed to upset your bank.

Hang on I'm googling intellectual. 

It's all to do with the anti money laundering and terrorist financing laws. It's very invasive and the questions very poorly qualified. I went against advice and answered them honestly. The question where it all went bad was "What do you intend to spend that money on?', we have a sum just sitting in Rabobank. I replied 'Sperm', she said 'What?', I said 'Sperm', she said 'What's that?', I said "Sorry I don't feel safe explaining that to a female in these days of #metto', is there a bloke I can explain it too?, she went septic. All she should have done is ask 'Why Sperm?'.

Oh and I said I have dealings with Iran and Iraq, that seemed to be the wrong thing to say as well. But again a simple question would have sorted that, maybe this one 'Why do you have dealings there?' to which they would have been told 'I have mates who I ride motorbikes with'.

But no one asked and just assumed instead so here we are. I'm looking forward to chatting with the men in black.