Antifoul

Megwyn

Ahoy again.

More Crew Guru info needed :D

It's looking like we need to re-antifoul RO's bum. Although it was only done last year, it seems to be coming off very fast.

I believe it is Micron.

There is so much info around re antifoul, and so much disagreement, that we really do not know where to start. The ablative stuff ablates off on the beach when sitting on the hard.

Apparently the really hard stuff is only any good on fizz nasties that go much faster than yachts . . .

So, considering that antifoul is a considerable investment in the yacht, what is the best to use on a yacht that does, on average (at the mo) about 8kt, is regularly dumped on the beach, and lives in an estuary/harbour?

We had thought copper - but have been told that it is not all that good. Pedro said he had tried Micron 66 and it was not much good (in the Weiti). Where she is now is more salt than fresh. She has slime on her bum after a week, and it has now been about 4 weeks since we got out to clean her bum (yes, I know, lazy bastards), and she has slime and barnacles. Bum clean on the agenda for this weekend.

If you use hard antifoul, do you still wipe their bums regularly?

Is hard the best way to go when dumping her on the sandy/fine shelly beach?

What are the pro's and con's of each?

Thanks guys

M

Your antifoul will usually stick better if it is compatible/same brand as the undercoat.

My boats keel can sit in the mud at times so I use hard for the keel and ablative for the rest. The first coat is a different colour from the top coat as well so I know when its getting thin.

Its good to get into the habit of cleaning off slime before a sail and I find those cheap exfoliant gloves from the $2 shop with little bungees around the wrists to stop slippage work really well.

I'm happy with Altex but want to try that waterbased US stuff when that's available.

We use Micron 66 and it's been great. Call Akzo Nobel & talk to a technical rep and they will help sort you out.

Our's has been on for 2 years now, done about 5000 miles and been cleaned with those green pot scrubber things and it's still good. We're out at the moment, was going to redo the anti foul and their rep saw it and said just touch up where we've fitted the new rudders tubes and keep sailing.

Wouldn't use anything else, but it costs a bit extra to start.

All the paints are similar in performance in their particular type. By type I mean, Hard, Medium and Soft coatings. The big issue you have is in using a soft (ablative) paint and then sitting the boat in the beach. Nothing will withstand the abrasion from Sand and Stone. Mud is totaly different. About the best you are going to do is to use a medium like the M66. But nothing is abrasion resistant and you will still get the slime and you will still need to hand clean .

There are specialized products available, which are non copper/biocide based, but very expensive. Like $60+/ltr. But you still need a reasonable Hull speed for cleaning.

Speaking of antifouling paint, I was keen to give the Altex No10 semi-ablative paint a try this time around, but I'm told its not stocked by anyone and is being withdrawn from the market. Anybody got any info on that?

talk to people who have the coppercoat on, if you plan to keep your boat for a while it is well worth it and ideal for a multi, it gives a fast surface and when you scrub you are not removing the coating, you may still need to wipe clean regularly but on a small multi that is not hard and you can expect it to last 10 years. Only reason I have not used it is that I am always changing boats, although I have helped apply it to a friends cat in Auckland and he is happy with it after 2 years.

The coppercoat does not stop all growth and you have to regularly clean it. It is good in that it is hard. It is OK for performance Hulls as long as you can clean them. It does not have biocide in it, so you only reduce certain types of growth. IMO, if you are happy to spend that kind of money, then those Special foulings of Hempels would be a very good choice. They are super slippery Teflons and Silicons and are 10yr anti-fouls.

Interestingly, I hung some pure copper in the water for awhile, just to see what happened and I was quite shocked at how much growth still adhered to it. So Copper is not the be all end all in coating. You still need a Biocide IMO.

There are some tightarse cruisers making their own coppercoat at a mere fraction of the cost (copper powder in epoxy) have a surf of the net I'm sure you'll find a recipe.

Lanolin.

Like Kitty I use Micron 66, it works v well for AC but I don't live in an estuary and I don't dry out. And I hear that these are exactly the wrong conditions for Micron 66 so if I was in your situ I wouldn't spend the extra hoping for better performance.

Thanks AC - She does not dry out on her mooring, but we like to put her on the beach to give her a clean. Its also nice for a picnic - hardly need to get your feet wet :D . One of the many benefits of a multi. :wink:

This is our first moored yacht, so we are all very new to this stuff.

Thanks everyone for your advise so far.

I have been advised against Copper. Apparantly does not last any longer than any thing else. Yet is expensive.

2 1/2 years ago I ought Seahorse on Trademe for $75 for a 4 litre can. It's wearing out but I wil get three years before it is replaced.

The trick is to leave the boat out of the water for a couple of weeks after painting it on. This allows the paint to cure and all solvents to vacate the premises.

2 1/2 years ago I ought Seahorse on Trademe for $75 for a 4 litre can. It's wearing out but I wil get three years before it is replaced.

The trick is to leave the boat out of the water for a couple of weeks after painting it on. This allows the paint to cure and all solvents to vacate the premises.

Well that explains that thanks AA.

The person I spoke to who used copper antifoul does it over the weekend on the hard.

That 4L can is now $140 on TM

I see there is also a Hempel Olympic - hard to tell what it is from the add but I think it is an ablative.

Any one know anything about HO?

M

I am wondering if I should put a different AF on the ama's than on the central hull?

Like, hard on the central - which sits on the beach, and ablative on the amas that are often only just touching the water.

Any ideas?

M

I swear by Micron 66. It is very easy to keep clean.

It self cleans the best of the one's I have used.

it has lasted very well.

BUT it is no good in the mix of fresh/salt water for what ever reason and it is quite soft so wouldn't be good to beach.

I also used Ultra which is Hard antifoul.

That stands up to a good scrubbing but doesn't self clean like the Micron 66.

It also doesn't stay as clean as long.

But that could be due to my location.

You should phone Brent Gribble from Akzo Nobel on 0274 790 708. He will know what will work best for you in your location.

We can no longer give the hulls of certain small vessels a scrub while in the water in the BOP. I have been told it is no longer allowed - would love to see the actual rule.

Also on of the boats I drive was recently slipped and the growth was incredible. It appeared as if a slime coating had inactivated the Antifoul

We can no longer give the hulls of certain small vessels a scrub while in the water in the BOP. I have been told it is no longer allowed - would love to see the actual rule.

Also on of the boats I drive was recently slipped and the growth was incredible. It appeared as if a slime coating had inactivated the Antifoul

So the slime inactivates the AF? Bugger. We get LOTS of slime, needs to be wiped off very regularly.

So this rule states we are not allowed to wipe off the slime?

M

So the slime inactivates the AF? Bugger. We get LOTS of slime, needs to be wiped off very regularly.

So this rule states we are not allowed to wipe off the slime?

M

So I have been told, But I am yet to see the rule. Have not had any luck in finding it. Might have a chat with the regional council.

Archived