Auckland to Bluff

chic014

That or persuade RNI to reschedule, maybe dangle a fiscal incentive or two in front of SSANZ?

Can't see that working, we just aren't that types

Also the RNI is only 14 months away and anyone serious is already prepping

Bluff didn't put up the $440k, the govt (us) have, after Tim and the film guy conned Stephen Joyce with the help of YNZ and RAYC that we the yachties would want this soon to be iconic event.

Are you sure. Thats not how I read it. It implies Govt and other contributors when the figure was quoted.

RNI. How many entries do they get? Does the RNI rate in prestige compared to the S to Hobart.

NZ needs a race that will in time surpasses it and that is their objective with the new race but it should include Multihulls. What are the monohulls discriminos afraid with -- on being beaten by smaller cheaper yachts by a day or more.

The Hobart used to attract a fleet of well over 200 boats every race, the biggest ever in 1994 (my first one) was 373 starters, now days they struggle to get over 100 and this year its down to only 82 boats (down from last year’s disappointing 88). Its a race with steadily declining numbers...

Round North island, 2005 had 12 boats, 2008 had 25 boats, 2011 was restricted to 40 boats due to the logistics and available berthage of the 3 stopover ports.

So Sydney Hobart numbers are going down, RNI numbers are rapidly going up. RNI has proved to be a very successful race with plenty of interest and is an event that's on most sailors bucket list.

Why would you ever try and compete with it? Not only does it make the chances of getting entrys for the A2B race pretty bleak but it also pisses a lot of people off.

RNI is once every 3 years so chucking a new race right on top of it is pretty dumb.

Sorry but I just don’t get it.....

The other issue that I can really see, is the S2H has a pile of safety requirements, far beyond what we currently race the RNI or for matter of fact the RNZ race. These requirements have come in due to accidents. I just dearly hope the A2B race does not cause coastal racing in NZ to be forced to follow the Oz rules, due to boats getting into trouble on the west coast. This is not a place to take lightly.

The timing is shocking. YNZ (through KORC) should have seen the calendar clash - so should have the RAYC. Best way to ruin yachting is to have disparate fleets distilled down and spread around the country all competing in different events at the same time.

The S2H is dwindling every year yet the powers that be see this as the model that's best to follow??

I really hope it's a roaring success despite all the misgivings aired about it.

well OC here's the quote form the NZ herald

'The Government has backed the event, contributing $440,000. Economic Development minister Steven Joyce said it was an excellent opportunity to show why New Zealand's marine sector was among the best in the world.'

Given the set up of the bioard and the way this has been set up I bet it won't be the last of the funding sourced from various public purses.

Nobody wants to bag anything that promotes yachting in NZ particularly offshore racing and you got walk on egg shells when discussing but when the event and the funding is off the back of NZ yachties we are allowed a view.

The top down approach isn't great, the instruction from the spokesman that this race is not for the weekend warrior was patronizing and a disgrace, the idea that the involvement of the CYCA in NZ offshore racing is to our benefit is scary, the scheduling up against the RNI is arrogance (there were about 30 boats in the last RNI), the idea that if the weather went bad they would just divert the fleet through Cook Strait makes you wonder at the competence of the organiser, the Aussie fleet already have a well worn series of races to get the boats from Hobart to Hammo each year if this race is to be the 'biggest' it will need the support of NZ yachties, it is a very major logisitical exercise to get fully crewed race boats to Bluff and back, it will also be a test of the organiser to see there interest in the multi fleet, the S2H is a daddle compared to the challenges this race could present.

Unfortunately this will presented in some forums as Aucklanders bagging bluff, well Bluff could easily claim the seamanship capital of NZ prize and it a special place to visit, walking around the streets of Bluff and hearing the kids identify the various oyster boats coming up the gut without looking over their shoulder just from the noise of their exhausts and the hospitality is unmatched.

Yes it would be great to see investment in offshore racing that is inclusive and includes the multi's and mono's and interest the S2H fleet, maybe a race from Hobart to Bluff might entice some Aussies over this end of ditch and then maybe we could get them up for a feb regatta in the Auck or BOI followed by the Auck/Fiji and a delivery/race down to Hammo, the aussies might be interested in that bi- annually as an alternative to their current treck from Hobart to Hammo

Someone has an idea and now the funding to make it happen. It may or may knot work, but at least he's/they are giving it a go.

What have you hypocrites and whiners done?

My 0.6c worth (there is a recession).....

What a shameful waste of govt $$ ( ours!!) , and a poorly thought out start time/clash, and race course. I give it a 0/10 !!

Tip the money towards event(s) already on the calendar and already popular.

What do you reckon.... 6 entries ?

Guest Saturday Night Special

The Idea is Good " BUT " we aready have some great races that need serious participation a long distance race to bluff is just another race. The fix it by promoting another big race limited to a few will fail my reasoning VOLVO it just is nothing compared to the Vendee globe .Want a spectacle to promote NZ then we need to get Numbers to an event say Auckland Fiji if you get a fleet of say 100 boats going (just a number ) then you will attract Media attention small numbers of glamour boats dont make media headlines.What is the second thing the media will say about the Sydney Hobart on Boxing Day? Start numbers then they will go on to the line honours prospects and then a human interest story like oldest boat or Former multiple Handicap winner or oldest competitor thats what makes a great race History ,entry numbers and human interst .We already have these things in some of our old ocean races .

Before jumping up and down about $440000 being spent on a yacht race... I'd like to see a breakdown of where the money is going (prob never happen). I suspect the figure is being somewhat misreported and a large portion is going into improving local infrastructure and facilities (which probably need doing anyway) and the yacht race is just the excuse to kick it off. I'd like to know what are the costs directly related to the A2B ?

Secondly I believe RAYC has just been contracted to run the race and perform a few functions... they are not the organisers so don't blame them for timing issues etc. I believe they have pointed out some clashes. RAYC won't be getting rich from the race and are just providing a cost effective service.

Finally, SSANZ has had no contact from A2B organisers. It's hard to reschedule the RNI as late Feb start is normally a good weather window, it's warm and it's just far enough away from the xmas mayhem. Unfortunately the A2B expects to be an annual event so that prevents SSANZ from working in with them on alternate years (or whatever to avoid clashes)

Sydney Hobart competitors can (and often do) bail out at Eden if the going gets tough.

A2B entrants and organisers would be unwise to think of Greymouth as another EDEN,

Watch here.

A2B Update: Invitational video and registration open

March

by A2B Media

New Zealand’s new major yacht race - the A2B Ocean Race will set sail from Auckland on the 9th of February 2014.

REGISTER NOW HERE.

It will travel the length of the country, departing our largest city - Auckland and arriving in our smallest port town – Bluff. On route, it will head up through the Bay of Islands, round Cape Reinga, down the West Coast before rounding the base of the South Island and into the town famous for its oysters and southern hospitality – Bluff.

The A2B Ocean Race will be held on an annual basis on the first Sunday after Waitangi Day. With the race expected to take a week to sail, this date maximises spectator opportunities with the fleet departing Auckland on a Sunday and the majority of yachts being welcomed into Bluff the following weekend.

The race fleet is limited to 30 boats in the inaugural year. Half of these boats are expected to be international entries, with expressions of interest already being received from yachts excited at the challenge of pitting themselves against the Southern Ocean.

Murray Francis

The driving force behind the establishment of the A2B Ocean Race has been Murray Francis.

While new to the world of yachting, Francis has developed a reputation as a man that makes things happen. He was the Producer of hit film – “The World’s Fastest Indian” and more recently the Executive Producer of “Two Little Boys”.

Francis came on board with the A2B Ocean Race at an early stage, excited by the opportunity to create a national race which built on the New Zealand’s proud maritime heritage and the ability to show off NZ’s pristine environment to the world through the filming of the race.

In describing his initial vision for the race, Francis said – “we want to create an event which showcases New Zealand’s marine industry. The Auckland to Bluff Ocean Race will not only promote sailing and our marine industry, but will showcase our spectacular scenery to an international audience.”

Stephen Joyce says;

“The A2B, which is to be held in February 2014, is an innovative new yacht race from Auckland to the Bluff. It aims to become New Zealand’s premiere national boat race – attracting international participants including super yachts and maxi yachts, and festivals planned at both the start and finish line.

New Zealand’s marine industry has $1.7 billion in annual turnover, produces $650 million in exports each year, and employs 9000 full time staff. This event is an excellent opportunity to show why our marine sector is among the best in the world”

STEVEN JOYCE, MINSTER FOR ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-MSeS_WbOA

Archived