timberwolf

I must say, impressive tim. But remember you have until end of june next year to get 30kts or no beer! Those sail rocket thingys spent an age chasing less than a knot to get to 50kts. You are still 4 knots away from your target yet! Good luck :thumbup: :thumbup:

What are you doing forward of the washboards!! :shock: :shock:

You did it Tim! Just not quite before July 2012... Surely Russell still needs to buy beer though!

I find it funny after a great days sailing like on saturday everyone talks about there top speed, timberwolf sailed 60nm in around 6 hours 10knot adverage, we sailed on boarderline and finished 19 minutes behind TW, our top speed was no more that 20 knots if TW topped out at 30 odd either there was alot of slow times or back the speedo back a few.

I find it funny after a great days sailing like on saturday everyone talks about there top speed, timberwolf sailed 60nm in around 6 hours 10knot adverage, we sailed on boarderline and finished 19 minutes behind TW, our top speed was no more that 20 knots if TW topped out at 30 odd either there was alot of slow times or back the speedo back a few.

By the time you add the extra distance on from the beat to Gannet rock it would work out to being well over 60nm and therefore more than 10knots for the average speed.

Dude, no one is interested in how slow anyone went :shock:

P1050679%20(Copy).JPG

The speedo is calibrated correctly as this photo shows (speed set by ken ormandy across the harbour in November last year).

The Nexus gear was set up by Woolfy and Gappy from Kiwi Yachting.

Although in the instant of 30.86 on the speedo the GPS is not as impressive I'd suggest that is due to adverse tide (probably 2 knots or so?) and also unashamedly we were not pointing straight at the finish but more like pointing at Takapuna or Narrow neck trying to get a new top speed across the face of the swells.

Whether you believe it or not this is genuine.

Not sure what your point is (other than trying to sound like a know it all). Top speeds are fun, and no one said "we sailed around the track at 30 knots"

On Voom we finished over an hour behind you, but from our GPS track, we averaged 11knots over the ground, you would have had to average a fair bit more than that. Our top speed on the GPS was 21.5 under kite, 19.8 when 2 sailing with 2 reefs and the storm jib.

Of course there is lots of slow times.For us, it was the bottom of every one of those steep waves, or the turning around for 24 minutes to search for and pick up the hatch that we lost over the side at flat rock.

(I did exclude those 24mins from my average of 11 knots thought...)

Nice work Tim, on the win, and the speeds (which I have no trouble believing)

So now you've had a big hard Send or 2, what's your thoughts on your ama and foil changes?

Good, bad, what would you like to tweak if anything or ..................?

Once Tim learns to put his boat on the wind and use his foils efficiently on the wind as well and point the thing in the right direction he might not have little cats finishing so close behind him.

So now you've had a big hard Send or 2, what's your thoughts on your ama and foil changes?

Good, bad, what would you like to tweak if anything or ..................?

In those conditions we can push the boat quite hard, it is safe and fast.

In its original format it would have been a real handful and certainly no where near as fast as that.

As has been pointed out we struggle upwind in sloppy waves like those with the foils down. The new centreboard is lower drag but that also means more leeway when pointing high upwind. We found a nice low and fast mode on Saturday sailing just over 45 degrees true but moving through the water at 10 or 11 knots, our high mode with the main strapped in harder was only a few degrees higher but speed would drop to mid 8's. VMG wise it was a no brainer and going low is ok if you can get a few shifts and we did along the way.

overall Timberwolf is a better boat and is miles faster in reaching conditions than it was before. It is still a great and fun boat to sail on and a huge pleasure to own.

I wish I had a lighter main hull and a taller rig with some new sails but at the moment it is what it is and it won't be changing for a while.

Are you using the canting system at all?

On every leg on saturday we used about 10 degrees cant.

Have found upwind we start canting the rig in 12-15 knots.

Downwind (running) we don't cant below 20-25 knots.

Canting the rig depowers the boat so you use it if you are overpowered.

Nice work on the top speed Tim, glad the alterations were worth it. As we were beating to Gannet in the trailerable mono-slug we were contemplating how quick Timberwolf would be in those conditions.

EE

I wish I had a lighter main hull and a taller rig with some new sails but at the moment it is what it is and it won't be changing for a while.
Don't we both :lol:

Good to see it's all going according to plan otherwise.

DSC08236.JPGDSC08238.JPG

New transom for both hulls incorporating new Carbon Gudgeons.

The new Gudgeons are mounted from the Inside of the transom through angled holes.

Inside the Transom they are Glassed over and the photo shows the Carbon over the new Gudgeon.

The Old gudgeons had peeled off the Old transom, on the Starboard side we hit the bottom soon after the relaunch.

The Port side fell off the Friday before last when we backed it into a mooring post. I glued it up quickly that night to do the Windward Leewards the next day but actually the Glue hadn't been properly mixed and it was probably too cold, anyway that is the one that fell off during Simrad.

Inside ther transom are some flanges and a knee down the centre, so by grinding off the old transom I can get back to that. (Next fine day). Then will glue the new transom on each side and tidy it up for racing on Saturday.

The boat has to come out in September for re antifoul and then I will have the chance to tape around the back of the transom and touch up the Paintwork.