48 replies to this topic

#11 GregW

GregW

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:14 PM

It does seem that with trimarans there's either out and out racers or chunky cruisers but not much middle ground, is that a fair comment?

The search continues...

Some would suggest that the Farriers are the middle ground, as in original (1980s/1990s) concept they were somewhat conservative in relation to the full on race tris of the time. That said there is quite a performance spread between the A versions (more cruisey), R versions and the handful of all carbon rockets that have been built, let alone the various Corsair versions. 

#12 ballystick

ballystick

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:04 AM

There's a multi in Tauranga called Ladyhawk, is this the type of tri or is it too big and slow  https://www.boatdesi...iews/bw2001.htm

We cannot direct the wind but we CAN adjust our sails

#13 B00B00

B00B00

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationAuckland.

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:39 AM

The Grainger 9-10m tri 'Hyper' was for sale recently. Can't seem to find it now so I guess it sold. Was a great boat and I think it was listed for 50k.

#14 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,571 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:54 AM

There's a multi in Tauranga called Ladyhawk, is this the type of tri or is it too big and slow https://www.boatdesi...iews/bw2001.htm

Ladyhawk is a member on here, but you are talking a whole different budget for something like her, even if there was one available. She was built by Richard Edlin, he is currently doing a rebuild on another tri, shes looking great! I'm sure he'd like to build you another!
Attached File  FB_IMG_1558735295123.jpg   56.13KB   1 downloads

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#15 Puff

Puff

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:14 PM

Check out blaydon racer on trademe. Not a racer but pretty quick

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

#16 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:45 PM

Check out blaydon racer on trademe. Not a racer but pretty quick

https://www.trademe....fc12f53e806-002
The best sailors do it two handed

#17 ballystick

ballystick

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:47 PM

Blaydon Racer now, That's a tri with a special history. Going pretty cheaply for sure.

We cannot direct the wind but we CAN adjust our sails

#18 Dave

Dave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:22 PM

Thanks all, great suggestions and comments.  In relation to the previous posts and in no particular order:

Ladyhawk:  Read that article last year, if my current investments come through, as they are bound to do (Lotto, and an offer from a nice gentlemen in a West African country whom I met on the interwebs) then she would be the kind of boat I'd be into like a flash.  For the meantime though, way out of my price range I suspect. 

Blaydon Racer:  A beautiful looking trimaran which has obviously been very well looked after.  For me though, I think the maintenance effort would be considerable and also, as I'm looking for a boat I could single hand occasionally she does look a bit tricky with the ketch rig.

Hyper:  Interested in this boat and probably most aligned with my wish list from those I've seen over the last year.  Concern I have is that she needs TLC and I'm unsure how the Duracore has lasted over the years.  If anyone knows the boat I'm interested in their opinion.

Farrier/Corsair:  F32/33 or C36/37 would be right at the top of my list but as I think someone mentioned, they are a bit pricey, which is nice if you own one but not so much if you are looking for one.  I would assume around NZ$200K?

There was a Crowther Buccaneer 33 (I think) that was on TM last year, does anyone know the boat and/or be able to comment.  I don't think she sold and is in West Harbour.

Anyhoo, really appreciate the input from everyone, many thanks!

#19 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:27 PM

The buccaneer in west harbour is i think a 40 and a nice boat that has had money spent. The marina will know if its still there. Was by the ferries. There was a 33 that I used to own for sale in Devonport. Much cheaper boat sailed well up to 12 knots boat speed. The 40 would be a better boat.

#20 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:30 PM

Krisis is probably for sale panmure boating club should know. A quick older tri that has had cruising additives

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trimaran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users