• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Above-the-Fold

Above-the-Fold

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:50 AM

For no apparent reason, apart from an excess of free time, I just binge-watched some old AC races, including the most recent series.

One thing that struck me is that on the old monohulls there was always something going on ... a bear-away set, a spinnaker peel, a torn foresail ... that was visible to the cameras, with the crew bustling about and setting things right.

In contrast, with the foiling cats, a lot of the sailing was invisible to the spectators, even with dozens of cameras on the boats. On the ETNZ boat, for instance, Peter Burling was pushing buttons and steering (while napping if you listened to the commentary), Glenn Ashby had some sort of electronic controller for the sail trim, but didn't do anything that looked like sailing. And apparently Blair Tuke also had some sort of control over the foils using an ipad thingy on his forearm.

But exactly what was going on was pretty opaque. The commentators had to guess who was doing what and how.

I assume that's pretty much what we're likely to see in 2021.

MS

#2 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 08:23 PM

I think that you have to forget the old boats, no comparison to foiling. The speed makes things far more subtle and tiny changes equals massive differences. We all know how often a harbour race is won or lost by seconds in a keelboat after 90 minutes racing. Even the SSANZ results show boats finishing neck and neck after miles around the gulf so on a boat thats doing 50kts you have to be exponentially more precise. I love the old grudge matches, the cats meh.. but really looking forward to the Boadicea chariot races.

#3 Above-the-Fold

Above-the-Fold

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 03:25 AM

I am looking forward to the Cup races, because it will probably be possible to both be in the spectator fleet and watch the televised race at the same time, owing to the magic of wifi streaming. That will be cool. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users