The ultimate monohull cruiser?

Island Time

there's always a compromise between destination comforts and getting there.

You could spilt the aft berth with a lee cloth, or use the pipe cot when you need to stay kitted up

post-234-141887264649.jpg

FNG, the aft doubles in Island Time split into two singles, the inside one dropping 10cm, and then divide with a leecloth. Gives 4 singles aft, all suitable as sea berths. IMO that is a great setup!

Willow, that sure is a nice boat, with great performance! My comments for a cruiser are - on their demo boat - no dodger, no sun protection in cockpit, at least while sailing, traveler in cockpit (a nuisance, and can be dangerous for kids or non sailors). Also, I bet it cannot take the ground like the Allures 45 - that is a very useful feature in a cruiser. That said, I like it!

Interesting dodger on Willows boat eh.

I met a couple at Barrier a couple or few years ago with an aluminium boat that was based on an ovni. He'd worked for them and then built his own boat. They'd been everywhere in it and it was super sorted ,very clean and uncluttered.

Anyway I was impressed, We left thinking that it was pretty much a weapon and you could literally go anywhere in it, including shallower lagoons etc .

:thumbup: Yes the JP54 is way cool with a couple of exceptions-- she draws too much for all the interesting places, and weird engine for a world cruiser. Now a ply glassed version could be constructed quite economically.... Not sure about the sideways galley in the other one, we spend so much time on the wind down here, guess its fine in the trades.

From an interview with Rodger Martin:

What do you feel is wrong with design today? What do you see as negative trends?

The concept that a cruising boat should have a detuned replica of a race boat’s high aspect sloop rig. This rig is essentially designed for speed upwind. As soon as the wind comes aft it is inefficient without the addition of hard-to-fly sails.

And pic of his ideas

150 RENDER 10-1.jpg

What I see wrong with the two examples above is $$$$$$$$$. I don't know a cruiser who is not on a budget of some sort and even leaving purchase price aside what would the annual operating costs on those two be???

Here's the cheapest design (operating cost) i know of that i could live on

http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/as192939.htm#as29

and its bigger sister

http://mkstocks.tripod.com/boats/as39/

No haulout fees, one man operation to drop the mast without a crane, no deck jewellery, outboard engine - easy and cheap.

What do you feel is wrong with design today? What do you see as negative trends?

The concept that a cruising boat should have a detuned replica of a race boat’s high aspect sloop rig. This rig is essentially designed for speed upwind. As soon as the wind comes aft it is inefficient without the addition of hard-to-fly sails.

And pic of his ideas

Along the designs of the old Freedom 40

imagehelper.asp?file_id=8680

For me offshore cruising & full time live aboard it would be a deerfoot or a pogo50 or a shipman 63...if I was living in nz & racing the odd fiji race rnz etc cookson50 first50 marten 49

If I was living in Wellington and I had two small kids mortgage one income house cars rates etc it would be a deerfoot or a pogo no wait hang on dam daydream it would be the boat I have lol

For me offshore cruising & full time live aboard it would be a deerfoot or a pogo50 or a shipman 63...if I was living in nz & racing the odd fiji race rnz etc cookson50 first50 marten 49

If I was living in Wellington and I had two small kids mortgage one income house cars rates etc it would be a deerfoot or a pogo no wait hang on dam daydream it would be the boat I have lol

Went sailing on a Sundeer 56 recently and in the light I think our Davo35 is faster, very under rigged and drags the stern, the stern is way underwater. We were only doing about half windspeed. Plus you have a tiny headsail and a massive main to deal with which is not ideal for the husband and wife. Raced on a Pogo class 40 and I imagine a cruising Pogo would be a exceptional boat. The chuck paine 62's are nice looking boats.

And pic of his ideas

This one wins ........ it's not a multi but at least you can get in close to the beach and study the sun bathers

We are talking Cruising aren't we??

My dream Cruising boat is one we rafted up to in the Sounds about 5yrs ago. A Mick Orchard Boat called "Trust". Fell head over heals for it. If only we had that kind of money. I could not believe the Room it had inside for it's size.

Archived