Kawene anchor?

gisywaterboy

Hi, I have a 7.8m trailer yacht and am currently using a 3.6kg Danforth anchor with 12m chain. I am wishing to get something with a little more holding power to help promote sleep when at anchor.

Has anyone had any experience with the "Kawene" anchor? It seems like a good allrounder and the 2a will fit well in my locker. how do they compare to the danforth?

Thanks.

An old Anchor design. Nothing special.But it does suit the Bow of some boats better than anything else. Not an anchor I would say as being better than anything else. I would rather have the Plow. In saying that, if you want a really good HHP (High holding power) or SHHP, (S=Super) anchor, then go see KM at Chains ropes and anchors and get them to sort you. They have the knowledge of what will best suit your boat. The Sarca Excel is a Plow design but is far superior to the old Plow and Delta's. Sarca and Manson both other fantastic designs as well.

Stay away from Rocna and Tern. Poorly "Made in China" Items now.

Hi, I have a 7.8m trailer yacht and am currently using a 3.6kg Danforth anchor with 12m chain. I am wishing to get something with a little more holding power to help promote sleep when at anchor.

Has anyone had any experience with the "Kawene" anchor? It seems like a good allrounder and the 2a will fit well in my locker. how do they compare to the danforth?

Thanks.

Good anchors but a little one dimensional meaning they aren't the best all rounders. Like a danforth pattern they like softer bottoms but unlike a danny the Kewene also doesn't mind if it's a bit harder. Kewenes are very popular in the 4-7mt fizzy fleet..... not that that fleet is known for it's anchoring skills. Good secondary anchors for bigger boats. Should be cheaper considering where/how they are made but it's far alone on that point.

You'd want all that chain as a 2A isn't that big for your vessel, I'd be suggesting a No3.

I'd fit a Kewene before a Danny.

KM and Wheels - I thought the Chinese Rocna's Issues had been resolved? And don't I remember them offering replacements or something for the faulty ones? Or am I deluded?? :lol:

Yes and No. Their large going hard marketing machine keeps a lid on it though.

Buying a NZ made Supreme is a smarter option on every level when you head to head the 2. They also have a lifetime warranty like most anchor makers have.

That's close to an advertisement there Wheels.

Only "close", darn, I will have to do better next time then. :wink:

I thought the Chinese Rocna's Issues had been resolved?

If it is still being made, it is still made from the same stuff, in the same "purpose built" Bedroom size Concrete box with no windows.

And the Tern is just yet another from the same place, being made by a Guy that is not even supposed to be trading because of Bankruptcy, but is getting around the Legality of that by having the Chinese be the "flag he waves" rather than himself. The question of how he can be in Business was also brought up in one of the Pro Skipper publications last year.

Buying a NZ made Supreme is a smarter option on every level when you head to head the 2. They also have a lifetime warranty like most anchor makers have.

I bought a manson supreme from KM a year or so ago - awesome.

And they sponsored a winning 930 in RNI - reason enough to buy one? :D

I have a Rocna , pre chinese, and It does what I ask of it. I dragged a boatlength or two at christmas in kaiararararara bay at Barrier when that ex TC went through, That surprised me, but when I eventually got the thing busted out it came up with a plastic rubbish bag over it. So that explained that.

But I have been wondering what the status was with their manufacturing and I found this article, which explains much.

https://plus.ibinews.com/article/x0jquI ... wSqot59Q9I

The memos and transparency were designed to restore confidence in the brand. But CMP took another, more concrete step in January, announcing that Rocna’s lifetime warranty would now include “bending or deformation,” in addition to breakage. “We’re one of a few anchor companies that does that,” says Mitchell.

Mitchell said that the company tested the Rocna line during its due diligence phase, even hiring metallurgists. From a theoretical standpoint, we were confident that the anchors were safe and sound, but we had to clearly communicate our confidence to the marketplace,” he says.

After the acquisition, CMP moved manufacturing control of the anchor line to its wholly owned facility in Ningbo, China. While Hold Fast’s original move to China was the source of the brand’s problems, Mitchell says CMP’s facility in Ningbo has “advanced engineering” that monitors quality control. “In the five months we’ve been manufacturing the anchors, we’ve made significant changes and improvements to the process controls,” says Mitchell.

I actually believe that all of the new generation anchors are significantly better than the types we all used to use.. danforth and CQR types and I'd probably be happy with a supreme or sarca( I'll need a bigger one if we ever do get to get away) but it does seem to me that a reputable company like CMP( we buy their anodes don't we) will stand by their product.

But I'm also a C>R>A>P customer , so I don't mean any niggle there. :thumbup:

Thank you for your answers, A Mason etc would be nice but as with most yachts weight and locker size are a consideration. An anchor that lays flat would be a must as it shares the same locker as my kite and as with most planning yachts the kite takes priority.

A 2a would be the biggest Kawene I could fit in there. I think a danforth of a similar holding power to the 2a would be too long for my locker.

Does anyone know what size danforth would be comparable to the 2a Kawene?

Thanks.

That original Rocna was a great anchor.

But yes, every Anchor can have a bad day and not set and as you found, for reasons not to do with the Anchor itself.

I wouldn't believe a word of that article. To give you an idea why, that company was telling the retailers that the Chain they imported was Canadian "Engineered". Some Retailers were under the impression that is was even made in Canada. They had the idea that CMP was "Canadian Metal Products" and were telling their Customers that. It actually stands for Chinese Metal products. It's Chinese chain and a poor one at that.

Also for instance, many companies test their Anchors by pulling, bending and deforming them. Certainly Manson and Sarca do.

CMP is a huge Metal works in Ningbo China that make everything you can possibly imagine in metal. From Anodes to Electric motors, Kitchen sinks, you name it, they make it and they make it cheap. And it's made cheap to be cheap.

Gisywaterboy, give KM a PM. He's the Anchor expert and supplier.

Was that better Willow? :wink: :lol:

Interesting, wheels.

I actually do carry a kewene myself and use it as a rock or sacrificial anchor for a lunch pick .Its way undersized and found somewhere years ago , I forget where.

My reservation as an overnight anchor would be the sliding shackle/ shank thing. Thats the quick release button as far as I can see ,and I can imagine that it could slide down and release itself when the boat swings at night .

I bought a manson supreme from KM a year or so ago - awesome.

And they sponsored a winning 930 in RNI - reason enough to buy one? :D

Yes Manson Anchors all the way!

Thank you for your answers, A Mason etc would be nice but as with most yachts weight and locker size are a consideration. An anchor that lays flat would be a must as it shares the same locker as my kite and as with most planning yachts the kite takes priority.

A 2a would be the biggest Kewene I could fit in there. I think a danforth of a similar holding power to the 2a would be too long for my locker.

Does anyone know what size danforth would be comparable to the 2a Kawene?

I'd stay with the Kewene for pretty much the reasons you suggest, size, they are physically a little smaller than dannys for the same holding. Or you could sus the Manson Racer, a alloy danny which the lads got jiggy on so it's a little smaller over all then steel ones due to the boss there being a yachtie and also knot wanting his sails shredded. Dimensions can be sussed here http://manson-marine.co.nz/Dimensions/Racer%20Dims%20Generic.pdf

Note to all. If you want a real good danny make sure you buy a Manson made one as most on the market are ex china so don't work quite as well and bend real easy, too easy sometimes. The small extra cost of the Manson is easily offset by the superior metals they use and construction of. The same applies with most anchors ex china and those not ex china. And don't be fooled by the price, some of the Chinese made anchors cost more then better performing NZ or Aussie mades ones that use far superior materials.

Or there is the Alloy Excel demountable. That's out of aussie, made of hi tensile alloy, SHHP approved and comes apart for easy storage. The cruising fleet like them. They are a work of art but that does cost you, they are up there price wise.

post-646-141887265026.jpg

+1 for Sarca Excel.

Best anchor I've ever used bar none. They're made in oz so no chinese build quality thoughts running through your head at 2am.

I was going to buy a rocna ( nz design and all) but Chinese build and the roll bar (storage issues) put me off.

The Sarca Excel is pretty expensive but I wouldn't swap it for all the tea in China

Sarca is local here. The guy in the early days had one of the early versions bolted to the roof of his beat up old F100 with some sign writing....we laughed a lot.

He now has one of the newer versions bolted to the roof with some sign writing....of his very flash and expensive F250.....

We still laugh....after all, the more expensive the effie the better the anchor should be ?!! :lol: :lol:

Good anchors though.

In essence the geometry of the sarca excel is very very close to the delta. (I just measured both) but the materials may be better. The excel tip weight is V down wards, whilst the delta is basically flat.

The earlier sarcas had a broader "plough" with lighter plate.

The obvious single biggest design difference between all the high end anchors is which way up the "plough V" is.

Delta and sarca are like traditional CQRs Rocna and Manson supreme s are up the other way.

They all have fixed (no swivel) shanks.

Hey in some areas of Canada and England they wreckon that the bruce is the bees knees.....go figure that !!

(The very best anchor accessory is an anchor alarm set on your chart plotter...I dont care what anchor it is, they all have their moments. None of them like a 180 deg wind shift in a thunderstorm in close surroundings, if you drag from deep sand to sand over rock you are still stuffed)

CQR, never a problem then moved to a manson supreme with the only concern is the time it takes to bite in which can be a issue in a cramped or crowded anchorage. The CQR took hold very quickly and holds very well. Easier to break out too. I have a small "delta" chinese copy and have tested it a few times. Seems OK but not to be trusted in a blow and I think like all anchors needs a good length of heavy chain to keep it from breaking out.

(the "joys" of not having winch on a 10m boat....)

In essence the geometry of the sarca excel is very very close to the delta. (I just measured both) but the materials may be better. The excel tip weight is V down wards, whilst the delta is basically flat.

And adding in Wetdreams comment, the difference between the Genuine Ploughs and the knock offs are so small, yet so drastically different in how they perform.

So why the Sarca retake of an old Delta Design? Well in Oz, there are rumors that the type of Anchors being able to be used could become a Law. The reason is protection of the Seagrass in those area's it grows. The designs like the Supreme, Rocna and Super Sarca dig holes in the bottom and dig up the Seagrass. the Plough designs tend to do the least damage. The Genuine Delta was an OK Anchor, but not perfect and you can't buy a genuine Delta anymore. The Lewmar Delta is built in China. Sarca went about redesigning the Delta and they made subtle changes, but the performance dramatically increased, so much so that the Sarca Excell has the SHHP designation. Something the Delta, even original genuine Delta, never obtained.

Every Anchor has advantages and disadvantages. For instance, my own design, which is in the Super Sarca, Supreme style, digs in exceptionally fast, keeps going down and grabs in pretty much every bottom type. But try and pull the darn thing out is an extreme effort. Having an Anchor that does all those things on the Setting point of view, along with being able to easily retrieve and not still have half the bottom stuck on the Anchor when it surfaces, is just as important as the setting part.

There is one other Design of Anchor, which KM is sitting on, that I have been pestering him to get into production for over 3 yrs now, that I believe is a very very good design. I am not suggesting it is better, but it will fit some Bow Sprit designs that no other anchor will and thus open up a potential when others won't suit and we come across that every now and then.

Archived