Whats wrong with the marine industry in this country.

Smiley button works fine for me.

Click it, it gives a list at the bottom of the reply window. Under that is a smaller "show all" in text. If the emoticon you want is not in the first list, click that to get more.  :idea:  :arrow:  :wtf:  :silent:  etc...

Reply to Johns original post, I don't think poor service is isolated to the marine industry, it is possibly exaggerated  because its so "blokey"  but NZ is not famous for its service mentality. Most of the customers are men and most of the sellers know blokes often will pay through the nose and accept poor service as long they can play with their boats.

My original post was really a moan about gross profiteering in the marine industry, ticket clipping , overpricing because of the perception that we'll take it. And that in some companies , some big ones, they're so used to ripping us off that they look down their noses at us because they perceive us as easy meat to rip off.

There's some very good companies out there and I try to associate with them. Service wise? Sometimes the bad service is just down to 'too busy' rather than anything malicious , which is the same in any busy industry I agree.

Anyway , as I said , I've identified a couple of new ones that fit into the profiteering category, I vote with my feet and spend it elsewhere. Shame in a way , they have some some nice stuff, but there are plenty of alternatives out there.

Guest Ketchup

Profiteering sucks. Like the bad old days of import licenses, voting with your feet is the best feedback they can get.

I would normally agree but when they have a monopoly over the product (in your area) you prefer then the feet dont cut it.

Also they dont really care as they know there is always another sucker/generation/Alzheimer's sufferer around the corner waiting to buy.

Thats why they keep offering bad service and never go bust!

Man, I've been at the wrong end of the marine industry for 34 years, I'd love a bit of "gross profiteering" my understanding has always been that the majority of people don't want to spend money on their boats. They take the cheapest quickest fix they can. They want them safe and reliable and aren't so worried about having the latest gadget. Maybe it's the location you work in, in the UK I was never in London, in the US/Caribbean I was seldom in the trendy spots, in Oz I wasn't in Sydney and in NZ I'm not ion Auckland.

I'm not saying that everyone that lives in those ares are interested in flashy stuff but the chance for exploitation of cheque book maintenance has got to be higher in an area where people don't have time to do their own work because they can make so much more money whilst getting someone else to do it. When it comes to my own boat I'm a complete scrooge. I wheel and deal with friends in the industry contra deals for rigging, sails, electronics etc. I also see what some of the boat owners want or insist on and they are throwing money away and the attitude of a lot of the industry is "if that is what they are after then just give it to them". Do the job and move on.

As I've never worked outside the marine industry I don't have any comparisons but I'm not blind and it seems to be the same in this industry as in the construction business or any other one you care to name. But to me and pretty much everyone I know in the business the idea of gross profiteering would be literally a joke. In fact it'll make a few people chuckle this week. When I first arrived in NZ I had a "crash landing" job in the marine dept of a local hardware store, the Mitre10 in Kerikeri. I got to see the hardware side which was an eye opener, they have mark ups of 400-1000% I have never seen anything like it in any marine business I've worked in anywhere in the world and yet people pay their prices without a second thought.

Guest Ketchup

Man, I've been at the wrong end of the marine industry for 34 years, I'd love a bit of "gross profiteering" my understanding has always been that the majority of people don't want to spend money on their boats. They take the cheapest quickest fix they can. They want them safe and reliable and aren't so worried about having the latest gadget. Maybe it's the location you work in, in the UK I was never in London, in the US/Caribbean I was seldom in the trendy spots, in Oz I wasn't in Sydney and in NZ I'm not ion Auckland.

I'm not saying that everyone that lives in those ares are interested in flashy stuff but the chance for exploitation of cheque book maintenance has got to be higher in an area where people don't have time to do their own work because they can make so much more money whilst getting someone else to do it. When it comes to my own boat I'm a complete scrooge. I wheel and deal with friends in the industry contra deals for rigging, sails, electronics etc. I also see what some of the boat owners want or insist on and they are throwing money away and the attitude of a lot of the industry is "if that is what they are after then just give it to them". Do the job and move on.

As I've never worked outside the marine industry I don't have any comparisons but I'm not blind and it seems to be the same in this industry as in the construction business or any other one you care to name. But to me and pretty much everyone I know in the business the idea of gross profiteering would be literally a joke. In fact it'll make a few people chuckle this week. When I first arrived in NZ I had a "crash landing" job in the marine dept of a local hardware store, the Mitre10 in Kerikeri. I got to see the hardware side which was an eye opener, they have mark ups of 400-1000% I have never seen anything like it in any marine business I've worked in anywhere in the world and yet people pay their prices without a second thought.

Yip and thats why mitre 10 in Kerikeri and most places has gone!... piss poor service and high prices.....nevennthe new Mega stores are expensive....

And now replaced by Bunnings.

Oh and those 400-1000% mark ups are on top of the mark ups from the buying office of Miter10 hq where they obligated to buy a lot of their merchandise from and I'm sure it is just the same for bunnings or placemkers etc

Guest Ketchup

Smiley button works fine for me.

Click it, it gives a list at the bottom of the reply window. Under that is a smaller "show all" in text. If the emoticon you want is not in the first list, click that to get more.  :idea:  :arrow:  :wtf:  :silent:  etc...

Click what?... there is a twitter, Facebook, G+1, print... icons but where's the emoticon one?

Sigh!!!! Rehabilitated, I thought you were...errr... rehabilitated. Dude, chill out.

How long has anchor straighteners been on the market.

How would I know? KM probably does. Great little device, providing you need one. That is always one thing we made sure of. A customer would come in and say "My mate who's an expert because he circumnavigated Rangitoto, says I need one of these". We would ask why? instead of selling one of those just because he asked for one of those. Often we would work out he actually needed a one on these instead of a one of those. Most of the time though, we would suggest he needs a none of those at all and keep it simple. The advice we give is that everytime you add in something, you add in a possible point of failure. So if you don't need a swivel, don;t fit a swivel, just because your circumnavigating mate says so.
On some occasions though, and it often never seems to make sense as to why, the anchor will come up not in the correct orientation to go over the Bow roller. An Anchor straightener is this dog leggedy shaped thing that causes the anchor to roll back to correct orientation. A very simple and yet clever item.

Hardly Normal I thought was rather obvious, but obvious it obviously was not. It was a tongue in check play on the name of a very large Australian Retail chain we have here in NZ. They sell everything from TV's, Home appliances, Computers, and Furnishings. I thought maybe it was a little unfair using their actual name here.

Does that help you Rehab??

And where is the company you name HARDLY NORMAL you criticize their staff and to label all other sales and commission sales people similar to your examples and opinions is also corrupt and you are not prepared to have your statement challenged by your peers or the real world company. So you do not have self belief, self confidence at what you are posting. Those are all the hallmarks of a bull sh--- it sales person poster.

Guest Ketchup

As soon as you click in the reply box, there should be a menu at the top, like here;

attachicon.gifsmileys.jpg

Do you not see this??

Wow! A whole new world I have never seen!

Nope don't get that!... am I on a mobile site instead of a desktop?

• Upvote 1
Guest Ketchup

Here the small local hardware is no more expensive than the massive ones. Also the local M10 Mega is way cheaper with a far better range than the local Bunnings. But then I don't do Bunnings as M10 are NZer owned not owned by some huge Aussie multinational whose stated aim is to destroy M10. The small local place has the best service by a country mile.

Same applies to the local M10 and Bunnings in my other city, Wellywood. The local Bunnings is a dive run by bunnies and the M10 is far superior...even if I can walk to Bunnings but have to drive 10 min to M10, the drive is well worth it.

The people who shop at Bunnings condone Koala rooting, concentration death camps, racism, sexism and foreign multi-national ownership of NZ. They should be ashamed of themselves.

He takes a step backwards ;)

Mate in my town we only have bunnings and the mitre 10"is long gone.

We have to drive 100kms to a Mega and they are more expensive.

We do have a place maker but they are useless unlessmypu are a big builder and want a gazzilion metres of something special!

So yes! I have to support koala rooting, xxxx beer, deportation of bad kiwis back to their home land... and all those freaken banks!!!

Guest Ketchup

Need new gloves to match the new machine so went for a suss. Gloves everywhere but most seem made in the same factory and branded a 100 different ways. Found some that will work for me but it seems they are all made for the hands of a 5yo, the sizings are tiny so I need X with many L's.

After finally getting someone off facebook I asked for larger sizing. "Na, don't do it sorry". Impressive off the top of their head with no checking I thought. Go to next place, pretty much the same. 3rd place didn't even know the brand and it is a large one in the game.

Went deep and found the importer, just around the corner from work handily. Went in to ask where I could buy them. Young fella was helpful but didn't know much. Boss bloke, I think, comes along "We don't sell to he public get out"... "errr no worries but can you tell me where can I buy the gloves?" "Bike shops" and walks away. A snotty little man he was.

Went online and ordered them from Aussie. They will cost considerably more than buying local but it appears no locals want to sell me any.

What ya moaning about KM... that's normal to excellent!.... after all you are dealing with motorbikes!... not Bentley's

But seriously.. that is about what you get with many organisations.

On the size thing...

That pisses me off to!... everything is made to the 80/20 freaken rule!...

If you cater for the average size then you cater for 80% of the market and you reduce your SKU,s by 50% +

How many anchors do you carry in stock (or your supplier) that cater for 100foot plus boats... Bugger all I bet! And why would ya.

but you will have plenty in the 20-50 foot range!

But gloves?... your hands are not that big are they Mr hobbit?

Try shopping for shoes Bigger than size 12!, Airline seats for 6'4"+, headroom over 6' in a yacht under 40 foot....

There is a huge opportunity out there.... it just a pity short people run to many businesses and countries with zillions of short people are directly/indirectly influencing/dictating product design.

Now on ya bike ya....