Holding Tank, Electic Toilet...looking for an Installer.

I am hopeful of finding someone to fit a new toilet ( electric) and holding tank to my yacht sometime in the next 3-4 weeks.

Any recommendations would be great, yacht is in Westhaven, 33' long.

021 817 671

( apologies if this is the incorrect forum / discussion area )

good luck - trying to get anyone to do anything this close to christmas who is not already booked in is well nigh impossible.

Why not a DIY installation, forget about the electric toilet for now, buy say a bulkhead mounted tank from one of the "swindleries" and run the discharge pipe from the toilet straight to this (no Y valve) and then it can gravity drain thru the existing skin fitting. You will need  a vent which can be run to your anchor locker

Hint - gentle use of a heat gun is the best way to soften the sanitation hose to get it over fittings.

E749 take a chill pill or have a couple of rums b4 you start - I did this exercise a few years back pre xmas trying to get away on time and it was hot/humid and a surprisingly challenging task. No pressure - but if you get it wrong the results are disastrous.

a hint on "increasing" your holding tank capacity and reducing the likelihood of a blocked toilet - do as is done in Sth America and parts of Asia and put the loo paper in a separate container for later disposal. Reduces pollution in the sea as well :razz:

Marin Heiro that "temp" solution to install a bulkhead mount tank may get us through for the next 4-6 weeks of hols. Thank you for the idea , I may look at that this week , unless I can find someone avail to do a tidy job , who is able to on next 12 days. We only purchase the boat 3 days ago and we have a few small jobs to also attend to. IE Oven / cooker doesn't work ...

Hahahhaha ! Yes and at least the fridge / freezer is all good. We aren't going away very far , and not for long but I do wish to have a holding Tank. Most likely we will make a temp solution to get us going. We are new to 1020 yachts , have had a 727 many years ago and loved it , so am hoping 1020 will be as nice to sail.

5 summers if not having a yacht , I have to take small steps to get family keen and confident again. You will see us motoring / motor sailing a lot !

I'd seriously look at wether you can get away without one

They all stink like, well you know what.

We anchor in more than 5m of water and 500m from mhws, or if we can't due to weather then emergency #2s just leave in the bowl until morning and then every morning the batteries need a charge so off you go and everyone uses the facilities

Below I'll add the regs but just think of it as is it better to dump a load once a day in one spot or small amounts at spread out intervals ?

Having said that there are marinas that won't let you in without one or a locking cable tie on your sea cock.

Have just sailed 3/5 way around the world and the first and only time we were asked was Opua.

1.5 Current Objectives, Policies, Rules and Methods

This issue has in the last 15 years been controlled by the Resource Management (Marine Pollution) Regulations 1998 (RMPR), which prohibit discharges:

 in water depths of 5m or less

 within 500m of MHWS

 within 500m of a marine farm

 within 200m of a marine reserve

 within 500m from a Minister of Fisheries declared mataitai reserve.

Jon thats all good to read , I'll have a look at some other 1020s and see what / how they have addressed the Holding Tank issues. As you say, maybe judicious use of bowl may be a way around the requirements. However l would like to have one fitted and electric toilet also

Jon thats all good to read , I'll have a look at some other 1020s and see what / how they have addressed the Holding Tank issues. As you say, maybe judicious use of bowl may be a way around the requirements. However l would like to have one fitted and electric toilet also

I have a manual toilet, a 60L holding tank fitted under the starboard V berth bunk, a Y valve for direct discharge out to sea and an electric macerator pump to empty the holding tank.

You a more than welcome to come and have a look if you are out HMB way or drop by if you see us out on the water.  I chose the manual toilet because there is less to go wrong and if it does I can normally fix it out on the water with the spares I carry.

Next time I think I would look closer at either a Raritan system (Purasan or Electroscan) or possibly one of Matt's Airheads.

Steve

We're intending to use the portaloo this season as well as Jon's solution.  The wife and I can hang on for a good while, the youngest is still in nappies which just leaves the 6yo to manage!  The current head doesn't have a holding tank and I feel that adding one as well as a macerator is on balance gonna take up too much space.  Need to do a tour of other T's to see how others have solved it.  Like the idea of an airhead but it seems like it might protrude too far into the space - tricky spaces up forward!

Hi,  we have nearly the same as Farrari a 60L holding tank under the starboard berth,  we have an electric toilet with a value that either goes straight to sea or to the holding tank. The then have a manual pump that empties the holding tank,  vent is into the front anchor locker.  We use the boat every week so make a point of flushing to keep the water moving.  Happy for you take a look if you are out Pine Harbour way.  Plumbing is simple and you could do it yourself in a  weekend if you have the time.

I used to have a Lectrasan before the Airhead - they do work well, but they also need maintenance, like all mechanical/electrical devices. They consume electode packs - limited number of flushes between replacement, as per the user manual. Many older ones are no longer treating the sewerage effectively. If you have one and the orange light flashes in use, it is almost certainly not treating correctly. IIRC, they work out to about $0.70c per flush in the long run.

The Airheads are good, with virtually no maint, but they do require management. And won't fit in some spaces. There is no perfect solution.

We will see more and more zero discharge areas as time move on, IMO.

IT - a few q's for you on the airhead

Is the crank handle removeable?  I think I could orient it facing forward with the crank handle on the inboard side if it was removeable.

What dia and min bend radius is the vent pipe.  I think I could get it to work if this came out of the unit on the opposite side of the crank but it would be pretty tight to the hull.

And finally - the vent.  Loooks like most vent straight on deck forward of the mast.  Noticeable odour?  I'm trying to decide where would be the best place for one - don't want to poke it out of the deck forward and so might run the pipe all the way aft instead (to a solar vent) but that has its own issues!  Alternatively - side vent under the tramp with a clamshell - this one means a battery connected fan.

Its either that or follow the VB everywhere and just use theirs!

just looked up the website - looks like the crank is detacheable so that's good otherwise its a trip hazard.

Will have another look tonight.  5' of hose won't be enough for idea one but certainly do-able for idea 2.