sunday orca

I'd definitely love the chance to jump in and see them underwater.  The way I see it is that these things are very intelligent and a bit of f/glass or cold molded plastic is not gonna stop it turning you into human sushi if it so wished!

That Orca is either a Female or a young one. I am no Orca expert, but I would certainly think twice jumping in if the Big Male was hanging around. They are happy to take on some pretty big prey, including young Whales. So a Human would be a tasty treat I would expect.
From what I have been told about Dolphin (Orca are a Dolphin after all) is that when they turn over to offer up there underside, that is a sign of "friendship". So it certainly looked like that Orca was interacting with the guy.
Very cool, but he's running a risk of Suit prosecuting him.

afaik

like dolphins

the big males are far more wary of people

and far less likely to come in close for a play

the main thing to keep in mind is that even 'man's best friend' can bite + kill

the odds have to be higher for wild animals that haven't been selective bred for thousands of years to be friendly 

https://youtu.be/D47wdwwYo94?t=341

I think these Organisations are getting way over the top upset with People around these Animals. Some woman interviewed (some Orca association) said what he did was disgusting and DOC needs to prosecute the guy. :roll:
It's not like the Orca was being held or cornered or treated bad. If the Orca didn't want to hang around, it would swim off. There was no motor boat circling harassing the Animal. The Orca swam up to Him to begin with. Also, they showed some guys on paddle boards and made a similar comment. Orca would not hang around if they did not want to. This is all way over the top reactions.

• Upvote 2

Yep, totally agree wheels. As long as the animal is free to leave, is not herded  or controlled in any way, I have no issue with this. Frankly I thought the woman on the news last night was way over the top. 

However, if someone doing this get injured, I have no sympathy for them either! You REALLY would not want to piss off an orca...

Orca don't want people in this country . For that matter , neither do sharks. If they did there would be a hundred or a thousand deaths a year right here in Godzone, but of course there isn't.

We've all swum with sharks ,in most cases we just didn't know it. The times we did, we get a story for rum nights.

I think these Organisations are getting way over the top upset with People around these Animals. Some woman interviewed (some Orca association) said what he did was disgusting and DOC needs to prosecute the guy. :roll:

It's not like the Orca was being held or cornered or treated bad. If the Orca didn't want to hang around, it would swim off. There was no motor boat circling harassing the Animal. The Orca swam up to Him to begin with. Also, they showed some guys on paddle boards and made a similar comment. Orca would not hang around if they did not want to. This is all way over the top reactions.

So true.

He has a further interview
http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinations/nz/83945845/drone-captures-army-bay-orca-encounter
I am concerned he has been named. I hope idiots don't go off about it. But I imagine I would be silly expecting anything different.
When I mentioned the Big Make earlier, it was more in relation to being considered a threat to the little one. In the article, he says he actually checked the Male out first to ensure the Male was OK with him being there.

Further to the "being around these animals" discussion. These animals are so fast and stealthy being under water where we can't see them, they tend to seek us out rather than us seek and disturb them. Although I do think the Guy in Dunedin went a tad too far in trying to Touch the Whale. That thing could have killed in with one tap of a Fin or Tail.

She's likely to have specific approval from the Director Gen. of DoC to swim with orca.  That woman does do good work but like like others who have a similar singular passion, she does have a somewhat arogant impression of her own self importance.  Orca are very intelligent beings but I'd suggest that they would be hard pressed to tell the difference between me and her with a PhD in marine biology - so what exactly is the difference between that pic above (from a video also) and the guy in the Army Bay video?  Besides most people wouldn't have a clue that they're not meant to swim with orca - you are allowed to swim with adult dolphin.  You go for a kayak, paddle or whatever - orca show up around you overtly displaying a playful interest in you - do you a) jump in the water and experience a once in a lifetime oportunity, or b, flip out your phone and google "Marine Mammal Protection Regulations 1992"?  Ranting as she did won't do her reputation any favours.

haha that reminds me of this joke.

Show Him Your Badge! 

A police officer in Penticton stops at a local ranch.
He talks with an old rancher, and tells him." I need to inspect your ranch for illegally grown drugs".
The rancher says, " OKay, but do not go in that field over there," as he is pointing out the location.

The police officer verbally explodes saying,
" Mister, I have the authority of the federal government with me".
Reaching into his rear pants pocket, and proudly displays it to the rancher.
" See the badge old man? this badge means I am allowed to go on any land ... have I made myself clear".

The rancher apologizes, nods and goes about his chores.

A short time later the old rancher hears loud screaming,
looks up and sees the police officer running in front of the farmers Santa Gertrudis bull.
With every step the officer makes the bull gains two, only seconds before the bull reaches him.
The rancher drops his tools and stands up and yells.

"Your badge, Show him your badge!"

Ingrid Visser has made a career out of "studying" cetaceans, not sure of where the finance comes from. She has become the go to person the media contact on anything to do with them, she has also apparently taken ownership of them and considers she is the only one who can interact with them.

copy and pasted from the news article ...

"He says, in a Facebook post, he encountered a pod of orcas while scuba diving off Army Bay 23 years ago. A 9 metre bull "pinned" him to the ocean

floor, "head to head for several minutes."

and

" ... towards the end my mind had a thought of her getting carried away and possibly pulling me down for a tango"...

I think the guys 'head to head' encounter all those years ago may have occurred at the end of his dive and starved his brain of essential oxygen.

Has he finally gone dolally?

IMHO the only mistake he made was putting up a big song and dance about it, and so now he is getting his chops busted.

Break the law if you will and have a cool time experiencing something extraordinary by all means, but keep quiet.

I do wonder what knee jerk reaction there would have been if it had turned bad. Gun toting DOC vigilantes in RIBs chasing down the killer Killer

Whale? They should put the officials at the boat ramp, guns directed toward the land and keep the fecken mad men ashore.

I've been watching you guys carry on with this for a while. Anyone got a link to the biologist's vid? Seems to me that the law is the law and there's a good reason for it. If every Tom Dick and Harriet decides to go on their own little adventure the animals will get no rest. Having seen the pilot whale vid ...