Vendee Globe 2016

I'm not sure I'd give it ago myself but I read that a NZ'er (Derek Watts??) has placed second in Virtual VG. I tried doing a SOL Volvo a few years ago and after I realized that the system would not allow me to T bone, or even call starboard on, my mates boat I lost interest :twisted: . Also I think I may have been 29,787th on the 'water' when I found I had better things to do...

Do these Virtual competitors get prizes or what?

Thought this was a good reminder of the strain these guys put themselves under - http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/18201/vendee-globe-victory-24-hours-from-le-cleac-h-s-grasp

In spite of knocking miles off Le Cléac'h's lead overnight he said he had not slept for two days and was now dangerously tired. Speaking to the Vendée Live show today Thomson said his thoughts were on getting Hugo Boss' anemometers working again rather than the impending finish in Les Sables d'Olonne, France. "I don't think I can catch Armel," he said. "The routing is very clear – we will go nearly to the Scilly Isles, wait for a left shift and when it comes we tack. There are no real options for me any more, I think my options have run out. It might be possible to catch a few miles but it's difficult for me at the moment. Until I can get my autopilot driving on a wind angle it'll be very tricky in the conditions I have. I can't imagine another few days like the last couple of days. I don't have any tension about the finish. I have tension about trying to make the autopilots work. I've got an anemometer in my hand and I'm trying to splice wires. I don't care about the finish right now, I just want to sleep.”

At the latest report he was out to 58 miles adrift with under 300 miles to go, so looks pretty unlikely that he'll be able to slip past.

Looks like he's cooked his goose - out to 88nm.  Must be aweful not being able to use the autohelm, steer, trim, navigate, avoid other vessels etc. all on no sleep for two days.  Bloody awesome result none the less!

would love to get a look inside his boat!

Yes please. soo many details I'd be interested in.

What sort of autopilot / how are they set up / how are they controlled / how good are they etc

Love to see one of these canopies they sail under now, as Conrad Colman describes them, these guys are now trimming their sails in dressing gowns and slippers (CC doesn't have a cockpit canopy)

Sleeping and cooking arrangements

I'm guessing the heads are fairly primitive.

Water ballast gear would be interesting

anyone know when Enda O'Coineen is due in Auckland - would love to get a look inside his boat!

Last AIS position was 18/01 and had him just north of Timaru.

Was in Timaru yesterday after getting caught up in some kelp that jammed his propshaft etc.

https://www.facebook.com/teamirelandvendee/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf 

Fish - I remember seeing Alex T showing off his head in one of his videos. It was a bucket. A nice carbon bucket.

Would solve any question of blow back up the through hulls when doing 20 something knts... Thinking a plumbed head is out of the question.

Would be interested how they have the bucket mounted, and the bracing points / hand holds so they can stay on it when lurching around at speed.

If folks are interested in how they get by on board this video is good:

and a more in-depth version with Edmond de Rothschild

No worries about cat1 lee cloths for your bunk - looks like most of them just crash on a bean bag or piece of foam on the floor.

Also didn't see any mounting systems for their buckets...

You are allowed a simple bucket as dunny for any Safety Category here. The requirement for dunnies is to stop people hanging their arse over the side, a potentially dangerous way to poop when at sea. Hence a 'fitted bucket' is fine, a lid is heavily recommended.

Based on the footage of these boats with waves washing over the entire thing (hence the need for the cockpit covers), I suspect they just go in the cockpit, it would be washed out in about 3 seconds. Not sure how you would keep the TP dry though...

I guess the gennaker sock is due to the tight budget and furlers being expensive. Possible even that it would have been original equipment on the boat, I'm sure I read somewhere it's the oldest boat in the fleet?

He was very close to Nandoor until his forestay let go iirc. Then had a couple of days of not really going anywhere. Once in the weather system behind it seems pretty hard to leapfrog forwards again. Especially with limited sail choices...