Vendee Globe 2016

I had wondered about the square top on the resurrected main, whether perhaps that was part of the original sail, but no, he actually made it that way. A great new write up here...

http://www.conradcolman.com/single-post/2017/02/17/Update-day-104-the-writer-is-back

And he's down to powdered soup and life raft biscuits!

Now 6.2 kts and 116nm in 24hrs will probably be closer to 150nm by morning. This guy deserves a ticker tape parade through Westhaven at least - he won't get one of course but he definitely deserves some recognition from this side of the equator

I've been firing nasty tweets at @1newsnz pretty regularly for their abject failure to pick up on this. NZH as well, though they did have one article a week ago, but pretty generic, not indexed in their search engine and the dismasting rated only a single sentence in parentheses.

I guess that really is Conrad's fault. When you think about it he should have been carrying a signed jersey, worn on the day, by all 15 of the run on squad that won that trophy some call the world cup, lashed to the bow in a neon pulsing lit glazed box!

Alas he didn't, so he'll just have to be satisfied with a hundred thousand mad frenchies turning out to watch him cross the finish line in his old tub with a stumpy mast!

Right now I know which group I'd rather be associated with. Fair to say I've forgiven "the people" of France for the past indiscretions of their polies!

just what I was thinking - otherwise its a long way with no food.  Got to think its against him if its true that he's down to liferaft rations.  Hopeful his crew snuck something onboard before he left!

Have been watching his VMG figures, 0.8 at the moment, assuming that means he is making .8knts towards his destination with 289nm to go , that's another 15days , hope he's got a fishing line or at least some old school hemp rope .