Vendee Globe 2016

According to his ocean racing blog his primary forestay disconnected in over 50kts and his boat was on its side for a few hours. Another sail shredded. He's now looking forward to another mast climb when the wind eases

Read that. Sounds like a crap night for Conrad. I'd imagine it's shaking the whole boat and rig something vicious:-(

A great effort already to get the temp forestay on. That cannot have been easy. This guy is sure earning respect the hard way.

Kia Kaha Conrad!

He's been going backwards for a long time now. Iirc nandoor was 200ish miles ahead a day or so back and is now 600 up. Really hoping Conrad can get the boat sorted out and start making ground again.

I must say I thought it was a brave move starting a race like that with only scrim sails (mylar film on both sides). Every other boat has taffeta on both sides or 3Di composite which adds hugely to the durabiltiy of the sails.

I would agree that he will be fast running out of sail options before the finish. However, when you have an uncontrolled sail attached to the masthead, its probably the preferred option to have the sail shred itself before the mast gives up.