Good blog huh?

Aye, indeed, I think this was my fav part though

https://youtu.be/IQ9O17s0AsA

I'm interested to know how they'd go sailing up to the islands with that massive beam.  I guess the advantage is you could probably do it in half the time of a 'normal' cruiser but it'd be pretty interesting punching into a heavy sea in 35 knots yeah?

ICON but they aren't a ketch even though they have 2 wings ;)

Never heard of them, I thought it might have been a Boreal although I thought their wait-list was (only) 2-3 years

I wanted to buy a craft last year but the mob building them has a 10 year fill order book. It appears they struck a winner design and the punters leaped on it a lot faster than expected and production allowed for. I believe they are ramping up production to meet demand. As tooling is a huge cost it would be a brave mob to build huge capacity unless they know they have huge demand, something many new things don't attract until some are out there doing it and being seen.

The mythical ICON A5. Only 20 built so far and crashing, falling apart and killing people. I'd count yourself lucky

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/may/09/icons-lead-test-pilot-killed-in-a5-accident

Went on a test sail - (posted previously in weekend achievements).

Copied here:

9.4 knts true wind, +7kn boat speed at about 63-64° true. I can't quite zoom in to check the numbers but they're there on the NKE autopilot display.

That's our test skipper on the right (Tanguy Bouroullec), and the prospective owner on the tiller.

Boat ticked all the boxes. And they offer an impressive list of extras available at about 40% off what you'd pay retail. 

Biggest issue was not to get side tracked by the little waterfront house for sale in the village for a reasonable 270k...

36002296776_f516af5f0d_h.jpg

Update: 99% Sure the build will start in January...

Choosing options now... Colours, sail wardrobe, electronics, which kidney to sell...

Hello, I stumbled onto this thread through searching for Pogo 36 stuff. I made a deposit a few months ago, current wait time is about 3.5 years. Curious to hear if your wait ended up any shorter due to some people dropping out? Looking forward to read about the build process.

Hello, I stumbled onto this thread through searching for Pogo 36 stuff. I made a deposit a few months ago, current wait time is about 3.5 years. Curious to hear if your wait ended up any shorter due to some people dropping out? Looking forward to read about the build process.

Hi Escapehatch, 

When we made the deposit, the wait time was not completely clear as the crews in the yard had not yet made 10 boats and hadn't quite got all the efficiency speed bumps ironed out. But we were told time was "at least two years, probably a bit more." Once the yard reached full speed, we recalculated and worked out we'd be about 2y8m.

We picked up five build slots (17 weeks), with people dropping off the list. And then got lucky as someone deferred their build by 7 months, and we were able to take advantage of that. SO Our wait will be just over 2 y from deposit to launch.

3.5 years is a long wait. It's proving to be a very popular boat, and I'm glad we got on the list "early" - Boat was released in Nov-Dec '16, and we joined in April '17 -- officially #47. Have you chartered one yet and been for a bit of a longer sail?

Where are you based? Just wondering if there's going to be another 36 based in the South Pacific in the future...

Hi Escapehatch, 

When we made the deposit, the wait time was not completely clear as the crews in the yard had not yet made 10 boats and hadn't quite got all the efficiency speed bumps ironed out. But we were told time was "at least two years, probably a bit more." Once the yard reached full speed, we recalculated and worked out we'd be about 2y8m.

We picked up five build slots (17 weeks), with people dropping off the list. And then got lucky as someone deferred their build by 7 months, and we were able to take advantage of that. SO Our wait will be just over 2 y from deposit to launch.

3.5 years is a long wait. It's proving to be a very popular boat, and I'm glad we got on the list "early" - Boat was released in Nov-Dec '16, and we joined in April '17 -- officially #47. Have you chartered one yet and been for a bit of a longer sail?

Where are you based? Just wondering if there's going to be another 36 based in the South Pacific in the future...

I'm on the east coast of USA but the boat will probably stay in Europe with me moving back home. I have not sailed the 36 yet but I have chartered the 8.50 in the Caribbean and did some long distance sailing on the 10.50 along with meeting that boat's previous owner (Charlie himself). I'll try to visit the factory on one of my next trips to Brittany.

Dr Watson, deposit and forms have been submitted. Lift Keel option, carbon rig. However we will leave this boat in Europe for the time being. 2 plus years for me at least before delivery also waiting for confirmation.

!!! I had to read this twice to fully get it. Fantastic.!

Well done, Keep us updated.

Shows how much I know about the latest yachts I didn’t know twin tillers were a thing. Is this somehow preferred over wheels?

You get much better 'feeling' with tillers. That and wheels have more gears and or linkages to go wrong, where as tillers are just simple. Generally wheels are only needed for bigger boats, or where the loads are higher, or the rudders poorly balanced.

If you can get away with tillers (due to the loads) they are certainly preferred for feedback and feel.

Some say driving a boat with a wheel is kind of like rooting with an extra strength super safe condom on. You know you're driving the boat, but the sensation just isn't there...

Shows how much I know about the latest yachts I didn’t know twin tillers were a thing. Is this somehow preferred over wheels?

On a wide arsed yacht, two tillers is also nice because it clears the centre of the cockpit. At anchor the two tillers lift up and can lean against the pushpit on either side, completely out of the way leaving more space for drunken shenanigans.

It also means you don't need a massively long tiller extension to be able to sit on the side deck and steer.

Well, it's early days yet but 5h in, at the 1800 sched, the 36 was leading her division - Racing A, including an IMOCA, two challenger series boats, and the other pogo12.50s. 11 boats in that division. 

Other boats of course going for racecourse position at this point.

Also, £1800 to enter the ARC - ouch!

So far so good. The 36 is holding on. It's the smallest boat in the Racing A fleet with everything being 50ft+ except for the other Pogos and one Corby 45.

The 36 is a charter boat as far as I can tell (the name comes up on various chartering websites). Probably a delivery to the Caribbean for the winter. Same goes for one of the Pogo 12.50 which is a pay to play/race operation.

With the ARC it's hard to tell how serious each team is about the racing or if it's just a fast flotilla. Anyhow, I take the data. So little out there about the 36 to pass time.

I have currently not bugged Pogo about stuff that is or isn't on their price list but are you doing anything different from their "standard" offering? Say Lithium instead of standard power system? My current train of thought is that I don't want to deal with the charging regiment of normal batteries and it'd save some weight. I could even imagine going all electric (something like Oceanvolt) but they're a bit too expensive but time is a bit in my favor in that regard.

Yep we’ve asked for a lithium option, as well as a water maker and a radar option. Longer duration short handed cruising is simply less stress with those last two.

Electric drive is at present not feasible given the limited generation ability. So unless you’re on a marina and simply day sailing with no intentions of ever going further afield, then stick with the standard. Having the option to motor for +24h if needed is safety feature that’s hard to overlook.

there was an almost new pogo 30 next to us at westhaven for the coastal classic . Two chaps at whitianga got it built and they raved about it no end . very cool boat and it drew a good crowd of well heeled old fellas from around the marina for the two days it was there ,

the quality of the gear was top shelf and the systems were very clever , bloody big boat for 30ft too plenty of free board and massive beam