Eventually, we'll keep it up north on a mooring. But it's going to be a long slow process to even get on the water. But at least there is a more-or-less definite date.

As progress is made, I'll update with photos etc, but that's a long way off. they won't start the build for well over a year...

Interesting to note, the boat is designed to be beached and has optional alloy legs for just that...

What happened to the one you were building?

Life changes... 

We're not so far in financially with the other one that we can't change tack, and the hardware we've already bought will go straight onto the new build.

We were in the process of finding a workshop. Rent is about 3-4000 a month here in Switzerland, and about 1500-2000 a month in Germany (1h drive away). That cost (dead loss) becomes considerable, so we looked at buying, but again prohibitively expensive, or worse, buying something that is another project so that the first project can be done. Too many projects, only one life.

A reassessment over the weekend while we're at the point of no return sees it make more sense, to buy a boat. The collective costs of materials, workshop rent, tooling up and a year of my labour (assuming it only takes 1 year from this point) means we'll actually be in a better shape financially for me to keep working and get a Pogo. And at the end of it we will have a boat with resale in case of emergency. This will also be faster...

At least this way, in 2y there will definitely be a boat in the water. Realistic timelines for the home build were still 18 months. 

We rent a small workshop in Swissland 5 min from home where we can do little projects so I can still satisfy my DIY side building tenders, furniture etc...

Oh. You're back in Der Schweiz.. I thought you had come back to NZ?? You going to keep the boat in the lake or on the coast somewhere?

Yeah, back over here for a little longer. But we've been back and forth a lot lately as Dad's running out of time and Mum's dementia is kicking in, leaving decisions untaken. We'll keep the boat up Northern Germany for a wee bit, once she's launched - Skandinavia and Ostsee is where we'd like to sail rather than the med. The North may be colder but it's more peaceful and fewer ripoffs.

Awesome, what options did you go for?

Plenty of time to sort that out, but the lifting keel, carbon mast and vinyl ester hull are definite options to tick and need to be decided early on.

Yeah, back over here for a little longer. But we've been back and forth a lot lately as Dad's running out of time and Mum's dementia is kicking in, leaving decisions untaken. We'll keep the boat up Northern Germany for a wee bit, once she's launched - Skandinavia and Ostsee is where we'd like to sail rather than the med. The North may be colder but it's more peaceful and fewer ripoffs.

Sorry to hear about your Mum and Dad. I hear you on the Ostsee and Scandi. Love to sail around there. Need a good heater though!! Better add Eberspacher to your list of options!! :-)

DrWatson, you are a man of fine tatste!  Will look forward to seeing a Pogo 36 in NZ in future.  Such a shame Structures are a small yard & can't produce more boats, there's obviously plenty of demand & I think that once one of their newer designs is seen in NZ some people will start to think about buying these rather than Bene etc.

If they are that popular other big brands may start producing similiar designs?

Yes there is that. The expected delivery is mid-to-late 2019, we're hull #47..., they're starting hull 13 at the moment... Seems like they expect to push about 1 a month out of their yard.

There are a number of other manufacturers making "similar" boats. But I think it will be a little while before the competition catches up in terms of disp etc. current competitors are 20-30% heavier.

I think there are likely a lot of different reasons people choose the boats they do. It seems that many people really want  a boat that oozes opulence or the feeling of opulence (whether the teak is 2mm or 20mm thick - most don't care).

In this case I think the Pogo and it's ilk will appeal to a certain type of sailor who doesn't really care if they get doors on their cabinetry or sail cloth flaps. For us, light and simple is a primary consideration. 

• Light displacement: 8 800 kg

Somehow 3600kg seems... faster... She's probably an awesome boat, and If I were in the market for a more regular cruiser I'd have her high on my list. But I can't see her hitting 15knts in 20knts of breeze... and man that's a lot of rain forest down below...

Yes there is that. The expected delivery is mid-to-late 2019, we're hull #47..., they're starting hull 13 at the moment... Seems like they expect to push about 1 a month out of their yard.

There are a number of other manufacturers making "similar" boats. But I think it will be a little while before the competition catches up in terms of disp etc. current competitors are 20-30% heavier.

I think there are likely a lot of different reasons people choose the boats they do. It seems that many people really want  a boat that oozes opulence or the feeling of opulence (whether the teak is 2mm or 20mm thick - most don't care).

In this case I think the Pogo and it's ilk will appeal to a certain type of sailor who doesn't really care if they get doors on their cabinetry or sail cloth flaps. For us, light and simple is a primary consideration. 

Maybe a dumb question,but if their yachts are in such demand(2yr wait) why would they not build more moulds and get other yards to produce?or would that be a quality issue?

They did say they were looking at ways to speed up, but I think they are very quality conscious. They're not a big production yard and I think they're v proud of that.

• Upvote 2

Re the big guys going this way: some years ago at Sanctuary Cove I had a look at the first First 30 of the current shape in Aussie came back here all excited costings were cheap looked great then did some figures, similar sizing to an 88 all good a lot cheaper than an 88 all good, 60% heavier than an 88 all bad, in a hull that was designed to be light and frisky big production polyester boatbuilding just couldnt do it . If built by Cooksons that yacht could sparkle, but done by Bene -well the videos prove it downwind in a gale just mushing along where an 88 or Ross 30 in particular would be seeing 20 plus -I know having done it on Elbow Room in the early days. 

I wanted to buy a craft last year but the mob building them has a 10 year fill order book. It appears they struck a winner design and the punters leaped on it a lot faster than expected and production allowed for. I believe they are ramping up production to meet demand. As tooling is a huge cost it would be a brave mob to build huge capacity unless they know they have huge demand, something many new things don't attract until some are out there doing it and being seen.

It certainly appears as if this model Pogo is experiencing the same thing. You'll probably find if demand keeps up they will find a way to get more boats out quicker.

Who/what design was it?  

(I've spent the last two evenings reading the Pogo blog on the SA site and need something else to read...)