weeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwww!!!!

Cool, good for you!! Should be a 7 or 8 day trip and you can probably expect a couple of snotty days in that mix. There's a whole lot of not much for most of the time and then the occasional exciting bit. Just remember to clip on and have fun.

Will you sailing down with the ICA rally to Opua or independently?

99% boredom 1% sheer terror

And your going the wrong way, it'l be getting colder each day

You will have fun and also decide if its for you,

But be careful as if you like it there's no stopping at your age from that point on.

I highly recommend taking a little red head torch, and being able to put your jacket / harness on in the dark. The head torch is mint for finding things in the dark without waking up every other crewman while your at it, and red so it doesn't screw your night vision. Also very helpful for not screwing up peels in the dark.

Don't know about the head torch - we grudgingly let the bowman use one - otherwise they are banned. Everytime someone talks to you you look at them and they are blinded...

So nah I wouldn't rush to wear one... Better to go when there is a moon or maybe some stars.

Offer to cook first night out, everyone else will be feeling a bit seedy and they'll remember it forever, with a bit of cunning you probably won't have to cook again fo rthe rest of the trip.

Some people swear by the head torches, but I've had my fair share of blindings with other crew members using them. It's OK when people are aware and don't shine their head torch in your face, but when your crewmate is not so switched on ....

I found a cheap, LED keyring light on a neck lanyard to be brilliant. They cost a couple of bucks, put out plenty of light to be able to find things and are small and light enough that they can easily be worn around your neck for the whole trip so you always know where the light is (tucked inside your shirt to keep it dry).

Good wet weather gear is pretty much essential and thermal underwear and a beanie could well be needed as you get further south. Other than that, it should be fun. :)

Oh yea, definately not for use in the cockpit, and definately no white ones. The red filter helps loads with the night vision / not getting blinded. The red head torch part is very handy up forward / sail changes etc. The idea being you preserve your night vision, not kill it so much you need white torchs everywhere to see whats going on. Grinna's little LED on a lanyard ticks the boxes for being able to find stuff downstairs without waking everyone up as well.

If you use a white torch it takes about 1/2 hr to get your full night vision back.

Coming back from Noumea to Auckland, we diverted to sail past Norfolk Is. Well worth the intersting half way break. We sailed about half a mile off the eastern side, past the landing.

Enjoy and I'd take the RED headlight, and a couple of pairs of sailing gloves, and some clear safety glasses ($8 Placemakers 2 years ago) to stop the cold wind into your eyes at night. Chances are you could be beating to windward for the entire voyage. We were!!.

thermals, more thermals...a pair of thermals, a beanie and new undies you crack out of the dry sack with a day to go. pray there is a dry spot in the boat somewhere. not racing i spose so going forward to do a headsail change they might be friendly enough to bear away a little bit and go bear headed, might even be able to just roll it up a bit. farkin wet up there in 40 on the snotter.

careful with the head lamp.

all of the above but one thing to add keep the feet dry wet feet at sea leads to been cold make sure you have a great pair of sea boots as dry socks and leaking boots are a waste of time make sure your socks are nice and warm to and you will be cosy's

PS I don't mind head lamps but then i am a bow man and shine it in everyone elses eyes

Hey JH. I sailed with ya on Charlatan the other weekend. Good on ya - so jealous!!! Looks like your doing that trip with my mate James. Have fun, be safe and I'll see ya for White Island!!

Archived