This could be a movie worth watching or not ...

We heard about something being filmed in Suva last season too, they were hiring boats of a certain vintage for background shots. No idea if this is the film .

regardless, best it gets noted and then constructively hidden from view.

Not my missus anyway. 15knt to windward is pure torture for her. :thumbdown:

sounds rather familiar...

I've spent quite a lot of time pondering how to get beyond that and come up with zero solutions if anyone has any ideas.

(to be fair she gets better after a few hours but we haven't been out in anything beyond moderate conditions yet)

What do you sail, I can't get above 8 to windward?

A friend was leaving Bundaberg at the same time as Russell Bro,wn on Jzerro. After an hour or two he decided to call Russell on VHF and asked him "what are you getting?" Answer "low 20's" . Dave goes - not too fresh, we'll push on. A few seconds later "boat speed, not windspeed".

Most sailing movies are just plain crap.

Not so sure that this one has much to do with reality seeing the partner appears to have survived.

All is Lost , Adrift/Open Water 2 ,Dead Calm, Message in the Bottle come to mind although the latter featured this beautiful Alden Malabar.

Haha....I wish.

15knts of wind, which usually means its gusting into the twenties.

Thing is, I bought a smaller main and #3 especially for her but always

seem to get my forcasting wrong. 

Should start with a reef when D is onboard.

What you are doing is going the wrong way, never go upwind with the wife on board. Turn around and go somewhere else.

I thought this was ringing bells. I have a book called Tami, Survival in the Pacific,  author Jean Corlett.

I need to re read it  but seems to be ghost written by Jean ( if thats the right terminology) and is the same story. Jean was friends with my folks and I think must have been based at Gulf Harbour.

The boat is a van de Stat design ( but does  look quite HR in appearance) ' cutter rigged yawl', 1981. The bloke in the book is Christopher, not Richard. Perhaps some artists licence for reasons of privacy or otherwise there.

John, I think your mistaken. There may be several books, but the one the movie is based on is "Red Sky in the Mouring" about Tami Oldham and RIchard Sharpe....

This book is about Tami Oldham all right , the boat is called Hazana. I suspect there are 2 books about the same thing.

I just looked at the authors note in the back and indeed it says outright that his name was changed to Chris in the book "...... to alleviate further hurt that we decided to change his name to Christopher..."

book first published by Ems and Sam 1990.

heck, there's three books...

Tami: Survival in the Pacific - Jean Corlett - Google Books
Title, TamiSurvival in the Pacific. Author, Jean Corlett. Publisher, Ems & Sam, 1990. ISBN, 0646023586, 9780646023588. Length, 142 pages. Export Citation ...

Red Sky in Mourning is often cited in the survival literature. Tami Oldham ... Red Sky inMourning is the story of Tami Oldham Ashcraft's 41-day journey to safety, which she survived through fortitude and sheer strength of character. ... Published July 16th 2003 by Hachette Books (first published October 1st 1998

Lost at Sea!: Tami Oldham Ashcroft's Story of Survival - Matt Doeden ...
https://books.google.com › Juvenile Nonfiction › People & Places › General
"Amidst a wicked hurricane in the Pacific Ocean, Tami Oldham was knocked unconscious below the deck of the yacht she was sailing with her fiancee.

Oh, that explains the Chris. ...

Yep, same story, but a fair bit of "based on" or literary licence in the movie. Yep, the boat in the move was renamed to Hazana