Abandoned Boats

I guess we should be happy that in NZ we have public councils and the like that do clear up derelict and abandoned boats. Imagine how much of a sh*t-tip the place would look if that didn't happen.

Plenty of countries around the world just leave boats were they fall...

I remember a wreck of a cargo ship on a nice clean beach in India, couldn't believe it - and no it wasn't being broken for scrap. Just parked there, rusting. Can't remember why it was there, but no-one expected it to go anywhere. Just didn't use that part of the beach.

This is a problem that I have been pondering for some time. A further two cents worth:

1st cent: breaking up and disposing boats involves handling and processing hazardous materials i.e. antifoul coatings and GRP particulates, so consider all the health and safety overheads. (I can already hear the moaning about “health and safety gone mad”). And as someone mentioned this stuff has to be carted to Hampton Downs which is very expensive.

2nd cent: dumping GRP and composite hulls at sea is NOT an option! Like any other plastics, GRP will break down into progressively smaller particles contaminating the ocean. And then there is the residual anti foul particles.

And for good measure ...

3rd cent: maybe we should stop bitching about Councils and work together to solve the problem. Rather than dealing with these shitters piecemeal, How about a biannual “kerbside, inorganic rubbish collection” of unwanted boats that are collected and processed in a large batch thereby realising some economies of scale. There might be a way to use some volunteer labour from the boating fraternity to help further reduce costs. Benefits to the boating fraternity:

Free up valuable mooring space

Free/ cheap salvaged boat & engine parts

Cost effective exit route for owners stuck with obsolete/ knackered boats (either free or a small disposal fee)

Flame away!

• Upvote 2

When our yacht got written off (this time last year)if no buyer found the insurance company was going to get some crowd from west Auckland to come in and cut it up,somewhere out west all the dying/dead Ak vessel go too

As happened with the yacht on the Nth Brighton Beach 2-3 month back. Claim you have sold the wreck, and no you dont have any detail on buyers name. Then if newspaper to be believed, the contractor never charged anybody to take the wreck away. And dont have any name ever on your boat. All solved.

Slight drift , I was gutted to see tne Ross 40 Te Rapauraha rotting away at Russell the other day .

Apparently the owner will not part with it .looks like if it’s left for another year she will be beyond ressurection. Such a waste of what was a great boat

I cant see how it could , is there even such a thing ?

I raised the question in response to an earlier post by ScottiE suggesting that 3rd party insurance be required to help towards costs but I couldn't imagine it being possible. Insurance isn't going to cover you when you make a decision to abandon something and if you've made that decision you're unlikely to still be paying insurance anyway.

I am with KM on this one after a bit of thought.

I have seen a boat pulled apart at Nortcote Point boat ramp. It isnt all that good for the environment. Bits break of and float away.

Most dumps have leachate pumps discharging to our wastewater sewers. Disolved copper cant be treated in treatment plants, it only gets diluted to acceptable levels and discharged into the sea. More fuel is used to scrap a boat and take it to a proper land fill.

Shitters are already covered in seaweed holding them together and full of marine life. The antifoul has long worn of. There is a disused explosive dumping ground just beyond Tiritiri at about 30m deep. Dumping it there, in no time it will be covered with tons of contaminated silt from Auckland roads.

• Upvote 2

There was a 100 ft glass yacht that was broken up with a digger in Taranaki and dumped. In the right place it would have made a great home for crayfish and an interesting dive spot. It was a new build so had no machinery or oils to cause contamination.

France has a tax on new boats specifically to pay for dealing with the old glass boats that litter the place.

Obviously it shifts the costs onto the new boat owner rather than the sucker who left their old one rotting somewhere, but you gotta start somewhere.

This is abandoned boat management in Italy...

gallery_123_40_3508825.png