new ac race dates set

2 hours ago, Romany said:

I like that idea. Then if 1 gains an advantage the other can try to wriggle away to retrieve the situation. Kind a like cat n mouse, sometimes cat wins sometimes not...

Next time maybe. If ETNZ holds it I'd hope so, cos I'd rather see refinement of the wheel - not a new one.

spin it out to get more $$$$ ??

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Romany said:

Nah. I just like the idea of something more like a 'sailing' regatta

wonder how they would go with standard keels??

40 minutes ago, Island Time said:

What a bunch of wingers!  Close regatta, anyone's to take, boats are similar performance. I'm enjoying it :-)

Whingers really ?? boats similar preformance,dont think so,Etnz when behind dont get the thrashing like LR does.

lr does.

• Like 1

LR were the first to win 2 races

LR were the first to win 3 races

it's not enough for etnz to level the score at the end of each day because if LR are the first to win 7 races it's all over!

hopefully they will survive this light wind and be able to get ahead next week in stronger winds

I drove up to Auckland to see them sailing a few weeks ago.  Had an awesome day with Nz Italian and America’s boat flying past me less than 50 metres away and now spending a few days watching at the big screen at the viaduct. Loving the racing and the atmosphere. Incredible what they can do in the light winds yesterday. 

Seems pretty exciting from where I am watching. 

D82306E5-0D84-4E3C-99D5-5163093BD139.png

My interest level just went up three notches  i found out this morning that younger daughter in the UK has a deal with her Italian friend. A chocolate bar for each win. Currently she owes him three bars of Whittaker's and he owes her three bars of some fancy Italian chocolate  

Shit is getting real.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, lateral said:

Overall I am fascinated. There is only one AC and match racing (or lack of it) is only part of it.

The nuances of these foilers, in different conditions, are mind boggling.

Like having to pass thru your own wind shadow and the absolute need of time-to-line precision.

Both crews are still on a massive learning curve.

The challengers accepted the protocol, and a royal battle it is turning out to be.

That we have the ability to design/build/run the event in boats pushing physics to the limit is hard not to be proud of. 

Bit like our success with covid 19. Easy to take for granted.

More wind pls Huey. (For variety)

15 knts + would be interesting

It is sport, but not as we knew it. That doesn't mean its bad, and I do confess to being drawn to the tele like a fly to sh*t each afternoon.

And I agree 15 or 20 would be awesome.

7 hours ago, Romany said:

Hey!  how come BP gets to say sh*t & i don't

Get used to it, it's just how it works here.

Found a couple of hours with unusually nothing pressing that needed doing so thought I'd finish tweaking the DR200 from a learner machine to being my farm bike. Out to cave and thought the AC so fired up the tablet thingy, found You Tube, searched AC Live, cool 7mins to race start.

Got back wheel ready, 2 mins to the race, bang and off they go to no surprise, ETNZ limp, Prada smart and off they go. Finished putting brakes in and wheel back on with AC in the background, Prada tales out the 1st race in a spookily similar manner to what they did yesterday.

Plod on with tuning brakes and the next race is starting. Stop for 3 mins to pop a new beer and see who wins the race. Prada f**ks up bit time in what looked like how they described yesterdays cock up. Gezzz dudes, 2 days in a row you lemons but then so did Eremites I suppose.

This AC is getting repetitive, todays sailing was so similar to the odd bits I saw yesterday but then it is all a bit one dimensional so that shouldn't be a huge surprise.

Listing to the YT commentary team and zero doubt who they have as winner already plus they are going hard out to get the world record for how many times you can say the word Kiwi per minute. The stupid woman calls it Saturday twice, obviously struggling with times zones.

Come into the house for a feed and said to the Wa 'Good run? You missed little in todays sailing, it was very much like yesterdays'.

She comes back 'No it was abandoned, no wind',

'Bollocks I just watched it',

'You can't of it was postponed',

'Bollock I did!!!!'

"No you can't of'

'Next run take more liquids will you, you're obviously hallucinating'

One minute later the TV news kicked in. The 1st headline 'AC postponed due to no wind'

Oh crap!!

I turn to look at the Wa and yeap, see a face chocker with pleasure telling me I will hear about this again.............. and again.......... and again.............

Bugger!!!!!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, lateral said:

Obviously the needle on your AC interest gauge is barely flickering.

It lives purely in hope a race may break out but having sat thru 1.7 sails and not seeing one it's been consigned to the background, if possible, just in case something does actually happen.

Maybe if I'd taken more attention yesterday I wouldn't be getting the sh*t I am today, bugger!!!!

Apologies to the US lady YT commentator for questioning her heritage and ability to use a calendar ;)

54 minutes ago, KM... said:

It lives purely in hope a race may break out but having sat thru 1.7 sails and not seeing one it's been consigned to the background, if possible, just in case something does actually happen.

Maybe if I'd taken more attention yesterday I wouldn't be getting the sh*t I am today, bugger!!!!

Apologies to the US lady YT commentator for questioning her heritage and ability to use a calendar ;)

Possibly, if your attention to detail is so poor you don't know what day it is, you are missing some of the really exciting aspects of what is going on?

The start period and first leg is fascinating, and it is the slightest detail that makes all the difference. Think it was Francesco that said 2 or 3 seconds timing in a maneuver is all it takes to completely change the situation.

Sounds like a pile of Gen Y-ers around here, wanting easy action served up in their lap.

And for anyone watching the TVNZ coverage, shoot yourself now, they have targeted that at Women's Day level. Watch the America's Cup Live channel on the web. They actually have commentators that know what a boat is. You can also run a second TV with the virtual eye coverage, gives all the stats all the time.

2 hours ago, erice said:

E course today...seems a waste, to not use course C and allow people to watch from north head

Little over 2 hours to go and not very encouraging. Course selection looks a little bit suspect too although this morning easterlies were funnelling through there

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 1.51.54 PM.png

does seem a beautiful day in central auckland

that same soft + fluky NE

nary a breeze in the sky

"A big factor yesterday was that the clouds started coming back over the city and once the land stopped heating the winds stopped...," Murray said.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-2021-team-new-zealand-v-luna-rossa-day-five-schedule-start-time-odds-wind-weather-live-streaming-and-how-to-watch/YYW7CQH53NV6DKQQMO6KW3J7ZA/