new ac race dates set

Now that was interesting. We saw it once before in a pre Ac regatta in New Yoirk for the last edition. TNZ was Well last then and everybody sailed into hole and TNZ sailed around them. If your off the foils you’re nowhere. 

I know the feeling of watching the fleet sail away so sympathetic to LRPP

Great day today. Jimmy did damn well trying to maintain a cover in a slower boat, but eventually bounced ETNZ to the right, and into the RH shift. Italy just got out of phase. Once ETNZ had the leverage, game over. Great race...

• Upvote 2

PB called it the Ngapipi shift. If it’s true it worked. 

I don’t think it was a fluke. Did anyone watch the 49er worlds?  He did exactly the same thing in the last race to jump 4 places and win the event. 

• Upvote 3

What a phenomenal race. Before that final shift what stood out for me was those great sailors on ETNZ able to make split second decisions and throw everything at LRPP including that big wheelie around that 2nd last mark. 

Finally found the time to watch races 7, 8, & 9. Holy dang! Fantastic, crazy racing. Race 9 was awesome , and I gotta say that JS and LR dished it out and schooled etnz  on numerous occasions . 
But with a faster boat etnz just kept applying t pressure and pounced as soon as a mistake was made.

Great stuff and a worthy competitors.

with potentially 4 races to go, you’d have to be betting on etnz to get one more win, but I certainly wouldn’t write JS off. Never previously had any time for the guy but right now feeling I’ve been a bit harsh. he’s a class act and knows his shiit. Dangerous. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Romany said:

Imagine Spithill as helm of ETNZ! As good as our helm is now, I'm pretty certain he'd wipe the floor clean.

Yep very good sailing by LR. They seem to have better match racing/ boat positioning skills.

15 hours ago, erice said:

ngapipi is a road coming down hobson bay into orakei

Correct.  A lot of Peter Lester's commentary is good, but he got that wrong. The shift came out of Cheltenham (the right), not Ngapipi (the left).

Lester also incorrectly claimed that Burling spotted the shift.  Ashby said in the conference that they were lucky to get it.  They were just forced right by LR, because Bruni saw a light patch ahead so tacked left.

• Upvote 1

A - course today

due they say to more light wind predicted and the ability to clock the course in any direction

interesting this talk of a 1-off AC in cowes next year paid for by ratcliffe of ineos

1 race and if etnz lose it the cup is gone?

It's practically impossible for TNZ to win out of the starts as we have seen in almost all the races.

If LR is ahead or within a second or two behind but to leeward then they go into high mode squeezing up to TNZ. TNZ slows right down and is forced to tack

If they are to windward then they just have to hang in there because the boundary comes up soon and once about they hold that leeward position and can start the squeeze....

Either way out of the blocks for the first few hundred metres of the course LR has a clear advantage as we have seen and that enables them to lead around the first mark in 2/3rds of the races so far

44 minutes ago, erice said:

interesting this talk of a 1-off AC in cowes next year paid for by ratcliffe of ineos

1 race and if etnz lose it the cup is gone?

Nice idea, and I think they should - but with the provisio that it would be a promo tour - 'coming to a town near you' kind of deal.

Get the design out there and racing, show the public what they can do, learn about course requirements and develop the boat some more - but is the cup up for grabs? Nah! That's the defenders prerogative.