Bay of Islands Sailing Week 2022

Was considering doing the BOISW again after a few years absence (have done it numerous times previously and thoroughly enjoyed) but disappointed by the demise of C division with so few entries last year. It seems everyone is trending towards the "Island Racing" divisions which I would consider other than the fact there are only 3 races! Seems like a lot of effort to get the boat there and organise crew and then only have 3 races? I would have hoped for at least 2 races a day. Am I alone in this thought or do others think the same?

Two races would be better.

I think they should combine C divisions. 1 w/l and 1 Island race each day.  And do separate prizes. We don't do w/l at boi cause we never do w/l races, but if it was part of our series we'd have a good go at it and have some fun. 

This year some island divisions had boats that took 5hrs, so they probably would not be able to do this for every division. 

5 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

have some fun

That's pretty much the reason I don't do windward leeward.

My crew and I really enjoyed the Island racing last year, would not be interested in doing a W/L

Why come to the Bay and then do a W/L, you can do that anywhere. Those Islands were made for sailing around.

I actually found the races a little short but its really hard to know what wind your going to get during the day up there at that time of year, better to finish than not. 

Was on a larger boat doing island racing last time - from memory our total sailing time was less than 6 hours for the whole regatta. A great week and I wouldn't miss it but a lot of effort in getting boat and crew up there and a big expense by owner for the time spent sailing.

• Upvote 1

We've done the last 4. Big effort getting boat up there.Unloading for racing,putting it all back together, delivery crew/race crew,accommodation....and so on. Well worth the effort and we enjoy the format. It's not broken so don't fix it ! p.s. we do Island racing