Online shopping for Yanmar stuff

Have bought impellors through marinedeals, cheapest. 

Wix equivalent filters from partzonline, way cheaper than oem

Water pump and exhaust elbow offshore, 1/3 price of local I think. can give you details if you need. 

22 minutes ago, BOIGuy said:

Have bought impellors through marinedeals, cheapest. 

Wix equivalent filters from partzonline, way cheaper than oem

Water pump and exhaust elbow offshore, 1/3 price of local I think. can give you details if you need. 

Yeah that would be great thanks 

Be interested to hear what your experience is buying direct like this in terms of final landed cost for a part and time to arrive (compared to buying locally)?

I recently bought a small but essential part for Fogg - not going to get too specific because I don’t want to name names - I went through the main NZ agent who told me it was going to take 2-3 weeks coming in from Asia. I ordered and started waiting. Then lockdown came. I tried contacting said agent but was told they weren’t officially operating. Then I discovered they had ordered it through another NZ business who was actually doing the importing. So that’s 2x ‘middle-men’ in the picture already here in NZ without counting what’s going on at the other (originating) end.

This seems like unnecessary duplication. If you’re a main NZ agent for a major global brand surely you should set yourself up to be capable ordering & importing parts yourself from overseas not outsourcing that too?

Whenever we challenge the comparative cost of stuff in NZ we get fed sob stories about importing costs and unidentified ‘middle-men’ etc. But it looks like NZ operators aren’t exactly helping themselves at this end of the supply chain?

Still waiting for a quote from the local yanmar agent on some little stuff, thought I would get a price as freight kills a few of the smaller items. They haven't got back to me after 3 maybe 4 weeks. They have been pretty useless any time I have dealt with them so not surprised.

Seals O-rings and bearings I will just source from seaco, generally about 80% cheaper.

Waterpump was $537 to my door, about a week. was quoted over $900 + gst from memory and not in stock locally.

Exhaust elbow (stainless steel)  $317 including gasket to my door, didn't even bother getting a quote and not worth building your own for that sort of money. https://hdimarine.net/product-category/yanmar/

Ordered a prop Tuesday last week from Denmark, it got to Auckland on Thursday this week, when I bought my last one none of the NZ suppliers / agents came in under price nor could deliver less than 2 weeks, the local agent as above was "place an order I can't tell you when but its usually within 3 months" Didn't bother asking anyone this time. I've got a near new 16x11 sail drive prop if anyone's interested.

I support my local chandlers a bit, they are pretty reasonable and have been quite helpful.

Engine stuff, if your buying from an agent you are probably getting ripped off to the extent that it is worth paying a lot for offshore freight and duties.

27 minutes ago, Fogg said:

Be interested to hear what your experience is buying direct like this in terms of final landed cost for a part and time to arrive (compared to buying locally)?

I recently bought a small but essential part for Fogg - not going to get too specific because I don’t want to name names - I went through the main NZ agent who told me it was going to take 2-3 weeks coming in from Asia. I ordered and started waiting. Then lockdown came. I tried contacting said agent but was told they weren’t officially operating. Then I discovered they had ordered it through another NZ business who was actually doing the importing. So that’s 2x ‘middle-men’ in the picture already here in NZ without counting what’s going on at the other (originating) end.

This seems like unnecessary duplication. If you’re a main NZ agent for a major global brand surely you should set yourself up to be capable ordering & importing parts yourself from overseas not outsourcing that too?

Whenever we challenge the comparative cost of stuff in NZ we get fed sob stories about importing costs and unidentified ‘middle-men’ etc. But it looks like NZ operators aren’t exactly helping themselves at this end of the supply chain?

In days gone by when Power & Marine was the NZ Yanmar distributor they sourced parts directly from the big distribution centre in Singapore and the public could buy  from them in their Beaumont St outlet (the old Whiting Engineering), so there was effectively one markup.

Then the Aussies got in on the act with Power Equipment taking over as the Australasian distributor. Also they now do not have a retail outlet, you have to buy from one of the dealers. So now when you buy that Filter/Impeller/ what have you, the ticket is being clipped three times, by Power Equipment Australia, Power Equipment NZ and the Dealer.

I am currently looking at ordering a box of filters and other bits and pieces from a dealer in USA. Remember the pricing I mentioned previously on a replacement heat exchanger - landed tax paid from USA ~NZ$2,800, vs locally sourced $4,600+gst.

Re filters, I have been warned by James Mobberly (Moon's) that it is safer to stick with Yanmar OEM oil filters, the problem being that you cannot be sure if the aftermarket filters have exactly replicated the internal pressure relief and bypass valving - he did not see an issue going with aftermarket fuel filters. I did discuss this with IT, he felt aftermarket were OK

21 minutes ago, Steve Pope said:

Ryco NZ

Yeah but when you put in the OEM numbers for some filters they give you a match that, when you go check the specs on, have different threads than the OEM.

Highly recommend you stay away from that lot. I've spent hours looking at this and happy to trust wix with my engines.

Have heat exchanger end caps off of my 3gm30f as one was leaking and now after the new O-rings and gaskets to get it back together.

Have found full gasket kits overseas but doesn't look like the come with the parts for the heat exchanger.

The American Yanmar dealers in California -this year a waterpump, $680.00 in my hand one week. Via Power Equipment six weeks from Singapore via Melbourne and quoted $1450.00 plus gst!

It pays to have the exact right part nos though -luckily I do.

36 minutes ago, Kick Ass said:

Have heat exchanger end caps off of my 3gm30f as one was leaking and now after the new O-rings and gaskets to get it back together.

Have found full gasket kits overseas but doesn't look like the come with the parts for the heat exchanger.

https://j109.org/docs/Yanmar-3GM30-parts-catalog.pdf

See if this helps, says its for your model. Fig 35 Cooler. Gives the individual part numbers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BOIGuy said:

Yeah but when you put in the OEM numbers for some filters they give you a match that, when you go check the specs on, have different threads than the OEM.

Highly recommend you stay away from that lot. I've spent hours looking at this and happy to trust wix with my engines.

Ive use Ryco or Wix (cant remember without going to the shed) filters on my Yanmar for 5 years with no issue, as I mentioned I wandered into Repco one day they looked it up in the book and just got it over the counter. 

• Like 1

I’m certainly much more wary of so-called main agents in NZ. Just before Fogg arrived last year I knew I needed an anode for my Maxprop and was told I should go to NZ Maxprop agent (Sopac). I bought said anode for about $120.

Literally next day I happened to be in Burnsco GH when I spotted a whole tray full of the damn things. See photo below for their price. So I bought one there.

And I was annoyed enough that I drove straight back to Sopac and complained about their ludicrous markup (2x Burnsco’s price)! To be fair the guy I saw did mumble an apology and gave me a full refund when I showed him the evidence. 

FF191A46-87BA-4184-B974-2CEB3A87013B.jpeg

The problem with Yanmar is that they lock down their sales by region, so they can charge higher prices in some regions, and prevent prevent people buying direct from the cheaper regions.  The cheapest parts I found were US East Coast (Annapolis area), but they will not ship outside that area.

So I had to set up an account with an east coast shipping company, then get them to send to Portland, then get Youshop.co.nz to ship here.

That's interesting, just had some alloy cleats shipped from a friend in Portland.

For Yanmar parts the cheapest we found was in Lefkas, at an English owned chandlery. I think they have gone now. There is some automotive crossover with Yanmar, The 3JH2E starter motor is Mazda for example.

19 hours ago, Kick Ass said:

Any bearing shop will have "o" rings and just buy gasket material and cut out your own

Oil filters any repco/superchep have them and if you pay more than  $20 tell them too #$%^ off  Thats for under 20hp

Off topic but I approached Holden NZ for a price for a new ECU,$1500 + $150 mapping. Emailed a company in Melbourne $650 including mapping ,just need vin.   Never buy off agents,most people to lazy to shop around and accept given price.

16 hours ago, Fogg said:

I’m certainly much more wary of so-called main agents in NZ. Just before Fogg arrived last year I knew I needed an anode for my Maxprop and was told I should go to NZ Maxprop agent (Sopac). I bought said anode for about $120.

Literally next day I happened to be in Burnsco GH when I spotted a whole tray full of the damn things. See photo below for their price. So I bought one there.

And I was annoyed enough that I drove straight back to Sopac and complained about their ludicrous markup (2x Burnsco’s price)! To be fair the guy I saw did mumble an apology and gave me a full refund when I showed him the evidence. 

FF191A46-87BA-4184-B974-2CEB3A87013B.jpeg

That's a real shocker, even John Burns is making a profit on that blob of zinc