Jump to content

Fisheries amendment act, rescuefish and legasea


Recommended Posts

Last night I went to a presentation at the Gulf Harbor Yacht Club by Scott Macindoe of Legasea. I thought I'd post a bit about it here. It was disappointing  to see only about 40 people there. Do YOU care about the health of our oceans?

It's important - possibly critical - for the health of our waters.

In Parliament RIGHT NOW is the Fisheries Amendment Act. In this, the commercial fishing lobby had managed to get a section basically removing any requirement for public consultation for changes to the QMS (quota management system)  or the quotas. This means that effectively the fishing industry would be in control of their "own" resources, our fish and oceans. This is totally unacceptable - really the fox in charge of the henhouse. This bill has past reading one and reading two (with one to go) before becoming law. It is very concerning that our politicians have allowed such a terrible piece of legislation to be so close to passing into law. The Third reading is next week, and, if passed, will become law. YOUR rights to have a say would be gone. 🤮

However, it is due to Scott (The Backbone of Legasea) and some others, and thankfully a Minister  (The Hon David Parker) with some backbone, that the section of the act removing your rights was yesterday removed - at ministerial discretion. This is a HUGE win for Legasea and the others involved, and if it were not for them this would have passed into law with little public comprehension or awareness. THANKYOU to all involved  in preventing this!

So, if you care about fish stocks, public fishing rights, the health and wellbeing of our oceans, you should join Legasea (free) here https://legasea.co.nz/ and keep yourself informed. 

I also think its really important to understand the failings of the QMS, and our regulatory bodies, who are effectively controlled by the fishing industry lobby. To help in this the website https://rescuefish.co.nz/ and, if you have not, watch this doco, "The Price of Fish" 

Finally, Legasea is, of course, not funded. They could use any donation you can afford, $10 would be great.

  • Upvote 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, the next big issue is the adoption of Kawau bay and Tiritiri Matangi as "high protection areas" - no take of any sort. These areas are large, and mean that locals with small boats will be unable to fish. This is NOT supported by Legasea, and is being pushed mostly by dept of conservation (dept of confiscation!) again with limited (very) consultation.  There is really no such thing now as a marine reserve. "high protection" area status is in perpetuity. This will happen in the next week or so I'm told.

I'm not against reserve areas, however they are labeled. Legasea say there are better ways, and have some compelling arguments. I'm not a fisherman, and anything that will help IMO is good, BUT the lack of transparency and public consultation/awareness is a real issue. IMO.

Who knew about this??

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Island Time said:

OK, the next big issue is the adoption of Kawau bay and Tiritiri Matangi as "high protection areas" - no take of any sort. These areas are large, and mean that locals with small boats will be unable to fish. This is NOT supported by Legasea, and is being pushed mostly by dept of conservation (dept of confiscation!) again with limited (very) consultation.  There is really no such thing now as a marine reserve. "high protection" area status is in perpetuity. This will happen in the next week or so I'm told.

I'm not against reserve areas, however they are labeled. Legasea say there are better ways, and have some compelling arguments. I'm not a fisherman, and anything that will help IMO is good, BUT the lack of transparency and public consultation/awareness is a real issue. IMO.

Who knew about this??

Been a work in progress since 2017.  Strategy was published in June 2021.  A Google search will bring up umpteen hits in newspapers online publications etc...  Eg:

https://gulfjournal.org.nz/2021/06/more-marine-protection-on-the-horizon/

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/fishing-restrictions-and-new-protection-areas-for-hauraki-gulftikapa-moana/OPGVHDBWWKVTBYHFWWQGXETRHQ/

https://www.fishserve.co.nz/news/doc-consultation-proposed-protection-zones-designed-to-revitalise-the-hauraki-gulf

https://www.localmatters.co.nz/mahurangi-news/gulf-plan-to-boost-marine-protection/

There was a thread somewhere on Crew.

Submissions close 28th October 2022 for anyone who wants to contribute to the process:

https://www.doc.govt.nz/get-involved/have-your-say/all-consultations/2022-consultations/help-revitalise-hauraki-gulf/

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem said:

Well, CD, that's one paying attention :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well well IT you were conned listening to Legasea on Thursday night.When on Wednesday .Minister for Oceans and Fisheries said the bill will not procced.

https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO2209/S00202/change-to-fisheries-amendment-bill-a-win-for-the-environment.htm

The Government’s decision to drop controversial changes to fisheries legislation is welcome news to fishing and environmental groups concerned about threats to fish sustainability.

Oceans and Fisheries Minister David Parker has announced he will progress the part of the Fisheries Amendment Bill that enables monitoring cameras aboard commercial fishing vessels from 1 November.

 

Breaking: 🐟🦞🐠🐙 Some great news for people who care about oceans and fish and improving fisheries management. In a surprise and welcome move, Oceans and Fisberies Minister David Parker and Government have decided not to proceed with pre-set decision rules in the Fisheries Amendment Bill.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem with locals in their tinnies in what needs to be a reserve is the abuse that non-locals in their tinnies do to the moana. We saw it a while ago when reef species were taking a massive hit on what was essentially a commercial operation, run with tinnies. 

And big ups to Matt for the thread!

Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as reserves go.Legasea calls them a bandaid.What has Legaseadone since its conception of 2012?? They were and still are against mussel farming,yes but the holding stock and rebuilding fast. So in effect reserves,I have no problem with reserves as too what we are currently doing has not worked.

There is only 5 or 6 active inshore trawlers in the gulf working the same lines(not breaking new ground)We the reccreational take more than commercial.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/state-of-the-gulf-recreational-fishers-catching-twice-as-much-snapper-as-commercial-niwa/FV4YPUKUJ3IVVBERRMPTA35CAY/

Legasea and Co have put so much effort in to saving snapper that they forgotten other species which have become almost extinct,John dory gurnard etc

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, harrytom said:

Well well IT you were conned listening to Legasea on Thursday night.When on Wednesday .Minister for Oceans and Fisheries said the bill will not procced.

https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO2209/S00202/change-to-fisheries-amendment-bill-a-win-for-the-environment.htm

The Government’s decision to drop controversial changes to fisheries legislation is welcome news to fishing and environmental groups concerned about threats to fish sustainability.

Oceans and Fisheries Minister David Parker has announced he will progress the part of the Fisheries Amendment Bill that enables monitoring cameras aboard commercial fishing vessels from 1 November.

 

Breaking: 🐟🦞🐠🐙 Some great news for people who care about oceans and fish and improving fisheries management. In a surprise and welcome move, Oceans and Fisberies Minister David Parker and Government have decided not to proceed with pre-set decision rules in the Fisheries Amendment Bill.

Who do you think was lobbying the Minister about this?

The Minister removed the section about consultation as he believed it was not in the public interest.

The remainder of the bill is before the house for third reading next week, then it will become law.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Island Time said:

Who do you think was lobbying the Minister about this?

The Minister removed the section about consultation as he believed it was not in the public interest.

The remainder of the bill is before the house for third reading next week, then it will become law.

Did you watch the first reading where stakeholders got to speak??

Commercial guy on there about land all catch and what is he suppose to do with bycatch that has no market or very limited market, spiny dog fish and no quota but will be charged deemed value.What for the pleasure of having to land all catch and pay for a species to be turned in to fertilizer. Do you think that fair??

mean while Sam Woolford? dribbled on about nothing quoting facts that werent. When asked would recreational land all catch and not high grade,he didnt answer and went on about commercial fisheries,now if comms have to land all then why shouldnt us recreational do the same?? we take it if legal and have limit of 35cm snapper and I get a 10lber should I discard a 35cm to keep the 10lber??He wouldnt directly answer the question but said recreational have size limits.Quess what Sam so do commercial.

Until us recreational start paying a fishing licence fee then we have to accept what is being handed out.

Legasea say they are not anti commercial but every facebook post is a dig at commercial. We need to work with comms and vice versa. I do not know of any commercial skipper the goes out to waste stock.Yes the QMS is the problem and needs changing and no overseas investors buying quota. At the moment non quota holders contract to holders to say catch,3 t of snapper and price drops then rings skipper do not want it. What does the skipper do?? dump it or land it and pays deemed value for not holding quota of species..

Legasea pushed rescue fish 2 yrs ago wanting 50k signutures,to dat 20 k signed.To me that says 600k fisherman dont care who have no problem with a shared fisherary

There latest campain want 50k so 8k signed to ban dredges/trawlers.either we dont care(which I have no issuie) or their marketing campains targeting wrong media.Watched "scott" on tv3 the other morning pontificated on about nil but he cetainly could sell ice to eskimos. All he promoted was give legasea your $$.

I waswith them from the start donating/promoting but after 3 yrs woke up and released they no or never will have clout.Werent prepared and still not prepared to get pollitical on issue but rather sit and talk and invite the Minister over.Who is only turning up a token gesture.Why should any Minister listen to recreational fisherman if we are all take and no give.At 60yrs old I have seen the decline and the rebuild.No problem to get 7/14 snapper in 2hrs in Auckland but I dont like snaper.Prefer gurnard/Kahawai Trevalley.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem for the uninitiated is there are numerous groups, legasea, commercial operators,  Greenpeace forest and bird et al, doc, mpi, the minister and probably others. They all pretty much agree we should rescue the fish but no two groups can agree on what the problem is or what to do about it. 

So who do we support?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Black Panther said:

The problem for the uninitiated is there are numerous groups, legasea, commercial operators,  Greenpeace forest and bird et al, doc, mpi, the minister and probably others. They all pretty much agree we should rescue the fish but no two groups can agree on what the problem is or what to do about it. 

So who do we support?

Fully agree BP. What about "sea change" spent a couple of yrs nutting out the problems and had some solutions but seemed to be shelved.

What needs to happen ,imo,is the Minister of  ocean/fisheries just grow a pair and say of 1st october 2022 this is what where you can do for the next 3/ 5 yrs. We have been going around in circles for 20+yrs that I know of.

Seriously look at bag limits 7 snapper + 2 kingfish 11 other species + shellfish limits,50 cockles 50 mussels etc at 5.00kg for mussels at supermarkets still cheap and better quality than from any reef. 50 bait fish,sprat/mullet/piper etc daily

Link to post
Share on other sites

dont comment much these days.  They have banned scallop taking, except an area only commercial can get to and I gather maybe a major hatching area.  Go figure.

I think the take should be reduced, who the hell needs 7 snapper?  I also think that commercial should be excluded from a very large portion of the gulf.  The implied value to individuals of recreational fishing is massive compared to the commercial value.  Just think about it.  50 to 100 litres of petrol to get at max 7 snapper!  But people do it because they enjoy it.  So cut the take.

Increase the habitat.  The crew looking to introduce mussels into Okahu bay had to convince MPI as they were moving an "organism" .  Did the Aussie seaweed at the Barrier get MPI permission?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Who watched ocean bounty Sunday tv3? Last 15 minutes some commercial summed it up perfectly.  It's a shared fishery we need to work together. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't see it. Will check it out.

As an aside- https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/home-living/heating-cooling/dehumidifiers/listing/3795935217

Anything to make a buck and pillage the ocean.

Btw-Capture of fish by electrofishing, though legal as a research tool/invasive species eradication,  is not a permitted recreational method and thus requires a special permit from MPI issued under s97 of the Fisheries Act 1996.

It was legal in the 70's revoked 80-90's.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Guest said:

Didn't see it. Will check it out.

As an aside- https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/home-living/heating-cooling/dehumidifiers/listing/3795935217

Anything to make a buck and pillage the ocean.

Btw-Capture of fish by electrofishing, though legal as a research tool/invasive species eradication,  is not a permitted recreational method and thus requires a special permit from MPI issued under s97 of the Fisheries Act 1996.

It was legal in the 70's revoked 80-90's.

Did or have you reported listing to T/M as illegal device?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Guest said:

Didn't see it. Will check it out.

As an aside- https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/home-living/heating-cooling/dehumidifiers/listing/3795935217

Anything to make a buck and pillage the ocean.

Btw-Capture of fish by electrofishing, though legal as a research tool/invasive species eradication,  is not a permitted recreational method and thus requires a special permit from MPI issued under s97 of the Fisheries Act 1996.

It was legal in the 70's revoked 80-90's.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/home-living/heating-cooling/dehumidifiers/listing/3795935217

 

Haha my email worked deleted.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yip, reported to TM & Doc, immediately. Plus a strong comment in questions to vendor.

Good that there were multiple objections!

Not holding my breath for doc to reply.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.doc.govt.nz/get-involved/have-your-say/all-consultations/2022-consultations/help-revitalise-hauraki-gulf/

 

Had another read of it and if you go to page 9 map and page 10 key and look at a chart,its not affecting much,slight increase in the reserve area(thats ignored now) 10a?

no fishing Moana pt to Takangroa island across to Algies bay/mullet pt across to the bee hive and then chanllenger islander,but see lots fishing the area,the proposed expansion would extend out to motutara/moturekareka and take in motuketekete. Have no issue there,10b rest of kawau bay/island seafloor protection,still allows fishing. 

 

The noisies YES to full protection,seabird/penguin colonolies etc,

Down my area ROTOROA island full protection,YES.

2 Key members served on the stakeholders working group and signed off on it,Either short term memory loss or chose to forget??

At this stage no mention of Iwi control which a few of us were concerned had a meeting  with legasea,which from memory gave those with coastal maraes the say whether gathering would be allowed and control on sizes etc. At the same time set netters were to banned from estuaries for flounder/mullet but no mention here.. Have a look at the overal map from doc and its not too bad.

Yes I support it and as keen fisho goes against many but a new approach is needed.But if the gulf is in such a dire mess,wheres the Green party/Greenpeace??

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...