Death By a Thousand Stares

It just a perception and  I have no data to back this up but at times Crew.org seems progressively more quiet and I suspect  there are many who read but never comment. I have seen sites die a slow death as content dried up and users attention drifted elsewhere it would be a shame if that happened here, please post :-)

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Frank said:

It just a perception and  I have no data to back this up but at times Crew.org seems progressively more quiet and I suspect  there are many who read but never comment. I have seen sites die a slow death as content dried up and users attention drifted elsewhere it would be a shame if that happened here, please post :-)

Not unique here ,as a fishing site I follow had over 300 post a day,now down to 5 or 6 members posting every couple of days,apparently facebook with community pages has killed a lot of sights off.

Still find interesting content here. Found community F/B you get real silly answers from no life experienced people.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, ex Elly said:

Yep, blame facebook for that.

Is it just me, or is Facebook also fading away? People I know who used to post multiple times a day have gone strangely quiet. Not that I miss reading that it looks like rain in Ekatahuna and that Ms X has just washed her hair…

• Haha 1
47 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

Is it just me, or is Facebook also fading away? People I know who used to post multiple times a day have gone strangely quiet. Not that I miss reading that it looks like rain in Ekatahuna and that Ms X has just washed her hair…

My contacts all use messenger rather than post 

• Upvote 1

I don't use FB Instagram or any social media, I think they do more harm than good, the young have moved on and FB is for their parents, its seriously uncool. FB is grappling with an existential crisis due to this  aging user base and its keeps prince Zuckerberg awake at night, META is an attempt to avert the slow death.

• Upvote 3

All forums have faded apart from special interest groups where relevant and mostly technical information is shared. The forum format is much better than facebook for sharing and discussing information because its searchable and reasonably organised which you will know if you've ever tried finding or filtering information on a facebook group.  FB is definitely better in some respects like audience reach and instant response but I have given up on it having posted pretty much nothing in the last few years.

Social media is extraordinarily good at promoting negativity, as I understand it the algorithm dishes up whatever it works out is going to get clicks and outrage gets clicks! I made it a rule to unfollow anyone who posts pictures of food or who keeps complaining about politics so whenever I do log in theres pictures of pets, sunsets and boats :)

The best thing that ever happened here was ditching politics other than marine related like the Okahu bay thread since we all know exactly how any political discussion is going to go based on who the posters are, so why encourage division among people in the sport we love? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 15/04/2023 at 4:48 AM, Frank said:

I agree. But i am much happier with tbe way it is now with small talk and general ranting gone. 

Technical and general sailing discussions are what I look for. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Agreeing here with all said above - All forums are dying, killed by Facebook and Reddit which are both designed to keep users within their enclaves.

Even Google is struggling as their search results are filled with useless Search Engine Optimized commercial results and increasing volumes of bot-written content. Using google to search within reddit is sadly now one of the best bets out there.

There's now this weird gap in the "internet knowledge archives" where forums started to die and info for more recent equipment or systems is actually very, very hard to find. There's also old forums going offline and all that knowledge being lost forever.

Nowadays, a lot of the youngest users out there are relying heavily on Youtube (and tiktok!) for info, which is absolutely staggering given how poor 95% of Youtube guides are, how there's no way for accurate content to filter to the top, and no way to reliably seach and locate specific details.

Further, I've noticed an emerging trend now for people to just post their easy to search, simple (or inane) questions on reddit first without googling, and upon finding the answer is more than 2 steps, 20 words, or not to their liking, then asking for a youtube video on it.

I'm worried we peaked somewhere around 2016....

The future is going to be even more interesting as AI starts to answer users search questions by trawling the internet and repeating bad info, scraped from sites written by AI bots all repeating search terms to generate site traffic....

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, motorb said:

The future is going to be even more interesting as AI starts to answer users search questions by trawling the internet and repeating bad info, scraped from sites written by AI bots all repeating search terms to generate site traffic....

Yep - exactly this - I just had a argument with an AI which I asked to help remind me what my underlying engine model was for something unrelated...

If I had not known with some degree of certainty that it wasn't a Mitsubishi, I would of gone down an annoying rabbit hole...

Me: what engine is the volvo penta d1-30 engine based on? 

The Volvo Penta D1-30 engine is based on the Mitsubishi S3L2 engine block. However, Volvo Penta has made modifications to the engine such as the fuel injection system, cooling system, and other components to meet their specific requirements and standards.

Me: No it definitely is not mitsubishi...

I apologize for the error in my previous response. After conducting further research, I have found that the Volvo Penta D1-30 engine is not based on the Mitsubishi S3L2 engine block. The D1-30 is actually based on the Volvo Car Corporation's D3 engine platform, which is a four-cylinder diesel engine. The D1-30 is a marinized version of this engine and has been modified by Volvo Penta to meet the specific requirements and demands of marine applications.

Me: no it is not that either

I apologize for the confusion. Upon further research, I have found that the Volvo Penta D1-30 engine is actually based on the same engine block as the Volvo Car Corporation's D2-55 engine, which is a four-cylinder diesel engine. The D1-30 is a marinized version of the D2-55 engine and has been adapted by Volvo Penta for marine use with modifications to the fuel system, cooling system, and other components to meet the demands of the marine environment.

Me: nope, it is something like perkins? please check your facts...

I apologize for the incorrect information in my previous responses. The Volvo Penta D1-30 engine is actually based on the Perkins 403D-15 engine block. The D1-30 is a marinized version of the Perkins engine and has been modified by Volvo Penta to meet the specific requirements of marine applications. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

Me: that gave me enough info to find out that it is the 403d-11 - not the 15.  You always just make stuff up...

I apologize for any further confusion I may have caused. You are correct that the Volvo Penta D1-30 engine is based on the Perkins 403D-11 engine block, not the 403D-15 as I previously mentioned. The Perkins 403D-11 is a 3-cylinder diesel engine that has been marinized and modified by Volvo Penta for marine use. I apologize for any inconvenience caused and appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

That's just brilliant! I'm going to keep that conversation on my phone for the next time someone says, " you can get the information  you want at any  time just by asking an AI"