Anyone got an update on what the latest is with this boat? 

She's gone from the hardstand at Gulf Harbour and is now anchored off Manly Beach, Whangaparaoa. Apparently towed there by a RIB mid week.

Has she sold, or has she been abandoned there so she becomes someone else's problem, much like the sistership in Queenstown? (Cynical I know, but stranger things have happened...)

3 hours ago, Cheap Transport said:

She's gone from the hardstand at Gulf Harbour and is now anchored off Manly Beach, Whangaparaoa. Apparently towed there by a RIB mid week.

Has she sold, or has she been abandoned there so she becomes someone else's problem, much like the sistership in Queenstown? (Cynical I know, but stranger things have happened...)

Isn’t the keel gone or is that another boat ? Cant keep up with all the  old battle axes 

3 hours ago, Cheap Transport said:

I don't know what is going on with the boat, but I saw it being towed around on Wednesday. I was fishing off Army Bay. Looked like a regular fizz boat towing it. One guy on the hulk, not much else to say. I see it is on a mooring in Tindals. Dodgy as f*ck if you ask me. It isn't close to seaworth. No Keel, no motor, no rigging. It is literal just a hulk. Buggered if I know what they will do with it at Tindals, other than wait for it to bust off and end up on the rocks. Cheap storage. 

I pondered talking to the Harbour Master about it. But they don't have a requirement for boats to be sea-worthy on moorings. And based on my last interaction with the Harbour Master, I would get a better response from my 8 yr old while he's watching TV. The Channel Markers into Weiti were destroyed back in Feb. No Notice to Mariners, so I phoned the HM to report it. He's like, oh, yeah, we know. I'm like, "so, don't you want to do a NtM?!?", he's like, oh, yeah, that is a good idea...

To put this in context, at the same time they had NtM for missing markers around Kawau, AND a NtM that trees were down further up the Weiti on the way to Silverdale. The channel markers are needed for getting into Weiti at night, and err, mark the channel. Really incompetent response from the HM.

@Cheap Transport, do you know if they've fixed the channel markers yet? I haven't been out that way recently.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, K4309 said:

@Cheap Transport, do you know if they've fixed the channel markers yet? I haven't been out that way recently.

Still no starboard marker and the outer port marker is still damaged also. 

There's some re-piling going on in the river at the mo with a few of the council swing moorings occupiers being moved onto piles due to the Penlink crossing. Hopefully the barge will continue down the river and put new piles in for the channel makers once they're done later this week 🤞

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, K4309 said:

But they don't have a requirement for boats to be sea-worthy on moorings.

correct but Auckland does have bylaws which one would thought would be enforced by the harbour masters

https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/plans-projects-policies-reports-bylaws/bylaws/Documents/navigation-bylaw.pdf

The Bylaw seeks to achieve this in Part 2 by specifying general responsibilities of persons within navigable waters and the following specific responsibilities about – • the carriage and wearing of personal flotation devices on recreational vessels • how to undertake certain activities • the use of restricted areas, access lanes, prohibited and restricted anchorages, reserved areas and special reserved areas • when near large vessels, vessels carrying explosive substances or bulk oil, or Explosive Safety Zones • ensuring vessels are seaworthy, identifiable and having appropriate equipment • the need to register personal water craft • the need to get a licence for and to maintain moorings

6 hours ago, harrytom said:

correct but Auckland does have bylaws which one would thought would be enforced by the harbour masters

https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/plans-projects-policies-reports-bylaws/bylaws/Documents/navigation-bylaw.pdf

The Bylaw seeks to achieve this in Part 2 by specifying general responsibilities of persons within navigable waters and the following specific responsibilities about – • the carriage and wearing of personal flotation devices on recreational vessels • how to undertake certain activities • the use of restricted areas, access lanes, prohibited and restricted anchorages, reserved areas and special reserved areas • when near large vessels, vessels carrying explosive substances or bulk oil, or Explosive Safety Zones • ensuring vessels are seaworthy, identifiable and having appropriate equipment • the need to register personal water craft • the need to get a licence for and to maintain moorings

Yeah, but the Harbour Master can't handle basic things like issueing Notice to Mariners. Like I say, I got less sense out of the HM than my 8yr old while he's watch. I think the media would be well placed to get some traction on this. Not a lot of people want an old wreck of a boat sitting in the marine environment.

• Upvote 1

I spoke to the guy who bought is when it was about to go back in the water. He said he planned to take it up to the Mahurangi where he had some land and was going to haul it out up there and work on it. 

21 hours ago, Vivaldi said:

I spoke to the guy who bought is when it was about to go back in the water. He said he planned to take it up to the Mahurangi where he had some land and was going to haul it out up there and work on it. 

Surely not Rudolph shack !? 

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, Vivaldi said:

Interesting, would be a bloody expensive project! 

Is this the most recent buyer, or a previous one that has since backed out? 

9 hours ago, waikiore said:

There is another old hulk sitting by lower Port Road in Whangarei -I wondered if it was Queenstowns one, does sound like Rudolph -heading for Mahu.

That’s on display ? Think it’s on loan to the developers to give a nautical theme to the place . I’m pretty sure it’s the one that needed lee cloths and buckets to keep the water out of the cockpit ….and then the rig folded 

On 19/06/2023 at 7:58 AM, Ex Machina said:

Surely not Rudolph shack !? 

Definitely not Rudolph. He said that he used to have a bit to do with the boat back in its day - knew some of the sailors. He had been trying to buy it for some time and had a couple of court cases in the process. Seemed very enthusiastic.