Registration Offshore such as the Cook Islands

Hi all.

I'm interested to hear from anyone who has registered their vessel offshore (such as the Cook Islands), perhaps to avoid the stringent CAT 1 requirements Maritime NZ seem to impose on vessels. I own a well found launch, which is a tad short for Maritime NZ's view of "what is safe". Grateful for any experiences you may have encountered?

cheers

Will

Hi Will, I’m looking into this as well, it looks pretty simple to register in the cooks- almost too easy, but what’s the catch? does having cat1 make it any easier to get insurance?

The vessel I have recently bought is French flagged and papaetised so not sure if this helps or hinders- I’m not a French passport holder.

NZ/eu/ commonwealth citizens can register a vessel in Jersey. There are some requirements like a tonnage survey and having to prove the last ten years of ownership (ie who owned it).

Works for us but we’re not based in Nz.

Spend a few hundred £ and get part A UK registry.  Any commonwealth citizen can apply for a British Flag for their boat.  This is one of the 'good' things that has happened re Brexit for us Kiwis is that UK wants to strengthen ties to the commonwealth post Brexit, and this is one of those things they have simplified to a certain extent....I say certain extent as there will still be some bureaucratic faffing around, paper work blah blah....but that is true for most things when dealing with governtments around the world

On 8/07/2023 at 4:37 PM, Will Fransen said:

Hi all.

I'm interested to hear from anyone who has registered their vessel offshore (such as the Cook Islands), perhaps to avoid the stringent CAT 1 requirements Maritime NZ seem to impose on vessels. I own a well found launch, which is a tad short for Maritime NZ's view of "what is safe". Grateful for any experiences you may have encountered?

cheers

Will

You say you boat is short of Cat 1 ?

Unless it’s over 24m you will be dealing with a YNZ inspector (and sometimes if over also)

There are both pros and cons to being NZ registered, on of the pros is most insurance companies will accept your Cat 1 as a survey/inspection for insurance 

There is some room for alternative solutions to the regs so have a conversation with an inspector before you go off the idea

Personally I’d not go offshore from NZ without getting an independent inspection of any boat, weather that’s Cat 1 or a marine surveyor unless you’ve done plenty and so has the boat.

(YNZ safety Inspector currently sitting off Denarau in my own yacht)

• Upvote 2
On 14/07/2023 at 9:02 AM, Jon said:

There are both pros and cons to being NZ registered, on of the pros is most insurance companies will accept your Cat 1 as a survey/inspection for insurance 

I would be careful making that claim re insurance, might be the case with some insurers but not most. My experience in getting offshore insurance in 2019 and 2023 with Baileys/Vero included the requirements for a vessel condition report by a qualified boat builder or surveyor plus a rig inspection report, in addition to the Cat 1 cert. A mate got a quote from Pantaneius for offshore cover, they wanted a full out of water survey.

2 hours ago, marinheiro said:

I would be careful making that claim re insurance, might be the case with some insurers but not most. My experience in getting offshore insurance in 2019 and 2023 with Baileys/Vero included the requirements for a vessel condition report by a qualified boat builder or surveyor plus a rig inspection report, in addition to the Cat 1 cert. A mate got a quote from Pantaneius for offshore cover, they wanted a full out of water survey.

Only speaking from my experience with Vero this season, initially they wanted a survey from a boat builder but then said they were happy to accept the Cat 1.
Plus some boats I did the Cat 1 on had the same experience, but everyone can have a different experience from the same situation. However each boat will have different requirements due to age and history 

17 hours ago, Jon said:

Only speaking from my experience with Vero this season, initially they wanted a survey from a boat builder but then said they were happy to accept the Cat 1.
Plus some boats I did the Cat 1 on had the same experience, but everyone can have a different experience from the same situation. However each boat will have different requirements due to age and history 

did Vero prescribe minimum 3 crew for all international passages? I have this stipulation including for the 200 mile passage Vanuatu New Caledonia which is a bit over the top, did it solo in 2019.

On 19/07/2023 at 2:33 PM, marinheiro said:

did Vero prescribe minimum 3 crew for all international passages? I have this stipulation including for the 200 mile passage Vanuatu New Caledonia which is a bit over the top, did it solo in 2019.

Yes plus they need to be approved by them as suitable 

We came up with 4, 1 first timer offshore even though he’d done plenty of local stuff in this boat.

have got 4 experienced for trip home 

On 18/07/2023 at 11:59 PM, Black Panther said:

I never bothered with offshore insurance.  Clear customs and  you are on your own.

Times have changed. In many places, no access to a marina without insurance - can make fueling etc difficult, and I've even been asked for insurance details when clearing in... But anything will do there, they just want the piece of paper...

9 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Ive never been asked for insurance clearing in, where was that?

If you need to go to a marina get (3rd party) locally. I've never been questioned at a fuel dock and tend to avoid marinas.

Malaysia asked when clearing in - once, but not the other times 🙄 , oh and Thailand as well IIRC

We had been on the UK SSR until recently when residency requirements change. We have now registered in Poland.

Polish registry certificate does not have renewal/expiry. 

We found a local agent to complete the paperwork on our behalf as our Polish is non existent. A very prompt and professional service.

We have used Cook Islands and Jersey. Cook islands is expensive, a lot of paperwork and only lasts a short time. Jersey is cheap and lasts ten years before renewal. All you need is a tonnage measurement. Jersey is definitely the best and lowest cost option.

We used Cook Islands when we were operating commercially because they have the same commercial survey requirements as NZ but Jersey do not. Use Cook Islands for a commercial vessel but Jersey is best for recrreational yachts.

On 18/07/2023 at 10:33 PM, marinheiro said:

So singlehanded is out.