Boats For Sale

Changed

When will you guys figure out that the cost to build is only a very minor factor in the selling price of a second hand item.

We get it a lot with houses at the moment, because the cost of building skyrocketed at the same time prices dropped, then yes you could by a "used" house for significantly less than the cost of building one. Guess what, people stopped building, and a lot of those that did build lost money (which was only realized if they were forced to sell, if they are still living in the home eventually the market will ovedrtake them and they'll be happy)

I know what the proa cost to build, but I'm not sure I could sell it for anything.

Regards the boat in question, it may cost more than that to build, but if there are three of them, or similar, available for less, then what's the buyer going to do, build a new one, or pick up a second hand one for pennies on the dollar?

KP is NZ240k?? :shock:

But that is only $185 in Kangaroo dollars. The Aussies have been buying the 6.5s for 30k+NZ and Orbit I believe is heading over there?

A friend from San F also said they are buying a lot of yachts in the States atm

I'm sure with the AUD/USD exchange rate the way it is this is a great time for aussies to buy boats in the US.

There was just a digit in the KP price that I wasn't expecting! Perhaps I'm underestimating the premium on a top boat like that.

what it cost to build or how much u spent upgrading the boat etc is irrelevant. reality in this market (esp nz) u will have to be very lucky to recover anywhere near what u spent. even in the aussie market, take a look at yachttub...just about ever second yacht had "huge price reduction" banner. the question is how desperate r u to sell and how much the buyer want your boat, if u really want to sell u will have to meet the market, if u really want the boat u will have to pay the price...of corse the longer u wait, opportunity cost(either money on running cost, time to enjoy for buyers, etc) mounts up.

I'm sure with the AUD/USD exchange rate the way it is this is a great time for aussies to buy boats in the US.

There was just a digit in the KP price that I wasn't expecting! Perhaps I'm underestimating the premium on a top boat like that.

Where is your surprise? It is the fastest 30footer around, all carbon, beautifully built and maintained, as new condition, price seems reaosnable to me, as you would be comparig to a new build boat, not a 25 year old ross 930...

When will you guys figure out that the cost to build is only a very minor factor in the selling price of a second hand item.

When I did some refurbishment work on BINTANG in 2004, the boatbuilder and surveyor independently estimated that she would cost +/- NZ$1.3m to build then, assuming you could buy the necessary several tonnes of Kauri.

Given that nearly every on-board sytem and most equipment has been replaced in recent years, and that the hull will last for 100 years or so, (and that therefore inflation would roughly cancel depreciation), one might reasonably expect that she would attract that sort of price today.

Nice thought!!!!

Sad to say design obsolescence is the single biggest erroder of boat values.

Where is your surprise? It is the fastest 30footer around, all carbon, beautifully built and maintained, as new condition, price seems reaosnable to me, as you would be comparig to a new build boat, not a 25 year old ross 930...

perhaps you're right, maybe i shouldn't be surprised, don't have any feel at all for that end of the market. but you do have to pay 4x the price to go... 15% faster? perhaps that's reasonable, but it is a big premium.

15% faster?

CU Racetrack - 0.7907 - Much the same as the Top SR's

Karma Police - 1.0249 - Much the same as the 50 footers

Pretty sure you pay more than 4 times the price to step up from an SR to a 50 foot racer too?

Money doesnt always have a direct relevance to speed or else we would all be in multi's

You beat me to it. An 8.5 is around the same speed as a 50 footer lead sled, but waaaaay cheaper! And yes it has to be said - you probably won't spill your beer.

You beat me to it. An 8.5 is around the same speed as a 50 footer lead sled, but waaaaay cheaper! And yes it has to be said - you probably won't spill your beer.
But the beer will be full of salt water so you'll end up pouring over the side anyway..... assuming JH isn't aboard and drinks it.

If you built a boat with resale value in mind you'll never build a boat or you are a brave boatbuilder with spare time and a lots of money just in the bank doing bugger all.

Sure does. Same applies to houses at times as well. Had more then a few mates rack up a lot of extra on their mortgage to make their newly built houses better for resale..... only to live in them for 10 plus years after that.

Built what you want and live with it. It's only money and sooner or later you WILL be going to a place it's knot gonna be any use to you anyway.

yes the beer will be full of salt water cause it will be sitting on the sea floor.. while the multi is upside down. i havent seen to many keelers having that problem. lesson we have all learned from sailing leaners- dont put the beer down!

they get salt in their beer upright too...

done that sort of s**t on force 11...apparently we came out better than most

edit...its not force 11 in the photo. think its the first mumm 30

mumm 2.jpg

Built what you want and live with it. It's only money and sooner or later you WILL be going to a place it's knot gonna be any use to you anyway.

Amen Brother!

It won't always make sense but if you get a great boat out of it then it's worth it.

You can't take it with you. :)

Archived