Davidson 41 or something else?

Guzz

I have a friend looking at the Davidson designed yachts especially the 40 footers eg Outlaw and Archon.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 109080.htm

His primary interest is harbour (Auckland), coastal and short handed racing. There is also the standard summer cruising thrown in. He has a longer term view of spending some time around the islands.

Would be interested in anyone's feedback and any alternatives. I see there are a number of options off shore but the current preference is to find something local if possible. The Davidsons seem to be quick but don’t seem to sell quickly—what is their reputation , faults , good points etc

Hi there Davidson's usually have a great name. They proably arent going to set the world on fire anymore racing wise but they will def reel the miles off easily enough for offshore. I think Outlaw is lovely and I dont really get why it hasn't gone yet. Maybe it's because it's a sort of a small 41footer compared to the import boats? My pick Avoid the import boats!

I owned Archon and did an awful lot of miles on Outlaw including Coastals, Hammo, Gold Cup etc.

Archon is a mid 80s IOR design. Quite seakindly and a masthead rig. Sisterships were Branch Practise (frac) and Canterbury Export - Admirals Cup. Archon has done Hobarts and copius offshore miles. Current owners and recent past owners gave her a good cruiser racer birthday, but she is still relatively sparten. Very good value for money with a near new motor. May need a rerig.

Outlaw is an early 90s IMS design originally known as Power Play. Very well built. Sistership is Elenor (Plug with scoop ) and possibly Spitfire - getting refit at present) Very seakindly, reels off the miles but doesn't boogy like a Ross 40 and not as powerful as a Beale 42.

Current owner did a major refit and racer cruises it out of Gulf Harbour. It has suffered a bit from being out of the public eye.

2 different boats, 2 different price points, both very good at what they do.

Outlaw has had a longer keel fitted. She used to be moored in the Weiti, but had to be re-launched on a very high tide to get her out afterwards. ( At least that's what I understood from the speculation that she wouldn't be able to get out...)

If you do buy her, please please please give her a new paint job. She looked so sexy in red.

I looked at buying Outlaw about 6 years ago when she was still red and prior to the refit. The owner then wanted $140K.

Lovely boat and in pretty good nick back then.

As BE said, shes seems to have had a decent tidy-up since then. Whether or not its worth the extra $$ is a matter of opinion.

Theres also a concrete Davidson 41 for sale as well. Shes cat 1 and in good nick, but at $120k for a concrete boat weighing 14 ton she aint no greyhound and well over priced IMHO. But im guessing concrete isnt on your radar - its a cough, cough, acquired taste.

Thanks guys for all the feedback and I will pass on to my mate.

So it looks like the Davidson 40 footers have several different versions based on the current thinking of the time.

Very interesting to see it was on the market some time ago at $140K. The question then really is was $130k value added with the refit in 2007?

Had a quick look a the likes of a Ross 40. Saw Jesse James there at $190k which looks like a good boat for that value?

The Beales look good was well but seem to be closer to the $300k mark.

Interesting feedback about it doing well in Gulf Harbour. It seems to do well their on handicap so would if any of the Waiti locals have any feedback that would be great.

I have had very little experience with Gennaker but I see it also see it has a fractional gennaker. Would this be primarily for cruising?

For racing you would primary be looking at spinnaker only?

I raced on Midnight (dav's 44) hamo and the coral sea regatta (Cairns to Port Moresby)one of the best yacht I have sailed on over the year's nicely balanced on all points of sailing Typical Davidson

and possibly Spitfire - getting refit at present.

The first Davidson 42 was Teddy Bear, sold before it was launched to America. It was 41' and had an almost plumb stem and no boarding platform.

After that went, they built Mr Roosevelt then Spitfire and Bruneleschi which had more rake in the bow and a small boarding step. Spitfire and Bruneleschi had longer coachroofs compared to the other two al la the Piedy difference

Step by Step, Ealanor, Outlaw were an updated version of that.

There was also a Davidson 42 marketed by a Tauranga crowd - Donalds? It was an IMC, IRC, OIR variant thingy that sat around quite a while before being resurrected as a cruising boat. There was a blue one in Auckland called Resolution or Revolution. Had a white interior and wheel steering. Nothing like the others bar LOA.

I raced on Midnight (dav's 44) hamo and the coral sea regatta (Cairns to Port Moresby)one of the best yacht I have sailed on over the year's nicely balanced on all points of sailing Typical Davidson

That says it all.

I once saw an interview with Laurie. He recalled looking out the window and remarking that a particular yacht sailing past appealed to him. Imagine all the stuff that would zapped through his brain, lines, angles, balances, all a bit beyond us mere mortals.. It wasn't till a moment later that he actually realised he was looking at a Davidson and was pleasantly surprised. That's good enough for me. I,ve never seen a Davo that's sacrificed form for function, love em.

There is a 13 year old Lidgard 42 (regardless type) hull built by Barry Jones, coming onto the market at around $230.000 (I think) just had a total repaint etc.

Would a 42ft Lidgard be in the same performance bracket as a Davidson?

I always regarded them as heavyish cruisers rather than a preformance cruiser.

I have had very little experience with Gennaker but I see it also see it has a fractional gennaker. Would this be primarily for cruising?

For racing you would primary be looking at spinnaker only?

Gennakers are great, probably more for racing than cruising as you need to put a bit of effort into the trimming. The trick is that a gennaker will only work for you over a relatively narrow wind angle when compared to a symmetrical kite. On a nice broad reach or anything a bit tighter than you normally hold a symmetrical kite you should find it faster because the shape is more efficient.

Lighter boats that get up on the plane easily can make even more use of their gennakers because the apparent wind swings forward as soon as they get up and boogey and they are effectively reaching whenever they go downwind. None of the boats that you are talking about are in that category but you'll still find a fractional genni a very useful sail to have on the boat. We've had many +17kt rides out of our one! :thumbup:

I've never seen a Davo that's sacrificed form for function

Laurie would rather we don't remember that he designed the Pelorus 26, but even that did what it was designed to do I guess. My Dad had a D28 for a couple of decades - bloody good boat.

Outlaw raced with us at Weiti for a few seasons. Didn't ever seem to go that well to be honest. Yes he was usually at the front of the Weiti fleet, but against 30 - 36 ft yachts, so he should have been. I recall calling starboard on him once and he had to dip us, so an upstart 29' 5" fast red boat can give him a run for his money upwind on a good day :lol:

I don't know if there was an improvement or not as she hasn't lined up against any of the Weiti fleet since the update. You'd hope so for the money he spent!

A 'Regardless' in terms of performance is significantly slower than the D41 / D42, likewise the older IOR D40 Archon is quite significantly slower.

For racing out of the Westhaven clubs, the D41 is probably better. Not so much a speed thing, more that you'd find a larger number of similar style boats with comparable performance. The D40 would be a bit more of an orphan in that respect.

Just stumbled across this and had to have a laugh :lol: :lol:

I've never seen a Davo that's sacrificed form for function

Outlaw raced with us at Weiti for a few seasons. Didn't ever seem to go that well to be honest. Yes he was usually at the front of the Weiti fleet, but against 30 - 36 ft yachts, so he should have been. I recall calling starboard on him once and he had to dip us, so an upstart 29' 5" fast red boat can give him a run for his money upwind on a good day :lol:

I remember a day clearly doing a barrier race and DNF'ing the rest of the fleet as they were so far behind and didn't even make the time limit. When I was about 13 I won the simrad two handed div 1 with my dad on outlaw and also many times battling with Akatea the Cookson 40 in the old configuration and was also lined up to win the 2 handed around north island until we broke the rudder off gisborne.

We used to club race mainly with the family and only using spinnakers in the ideal conditions due to short handed and very short courses to get a footer around.

Wicked boat and also taught me so much and taken me on so many amazing journeys and always pulled through in those tough testing conditions

Archived