Yacht sinks by Princess Wharf

chic014

The way that Antaeus was charging around at Bay Week, that doesn't surprise me. Especially before the start of the race to Roberton where everyone was sitting around waiting for the breeze, and they were dicing between everyone.

Saw Antaeus in Westhaven this afternoon with no apparent damage, but I wasn't looking for anything.

FYI Antaeus General Handicap in Bay Week Passage 1 Division went:

0.985 (appears to have been changed to 0.825 now)

We were listening to the incident on Ch16. Another Boat called a Mayday, said two boats, one being a very large Sailboat, had collided very hard and two people were in the water, one being a Female that was seriously hurt.

Through the various discussions, the two in the water were lifted out and the Coastgaurd were arriving on the scene. Gave up listening at that point and later on, heard the Mayday cancelllation.

That's a pretty bad accident, and a real shame - I had been admiring Gypsy while watching her motoring around in the same bay up at Mahurangi over the weekend. Not one of the small/low freeboard classics either so I'd have thought she would be reasonably visible while under sail.

We saw a wooden spar sitting vertically in the water just off the wharves while we were coming in later in the afternoon, not sure if it was the top of her mast or just debris. I'm guessing that they would try to lift/salvage her?

grrr. from that article, from the skipper of the motoring yacht:

"The sail boat actually just came across the bow of my boat and I didn't actually see it because there were a lot of yachts around and I was trying to manoeuvre my boat up the harbour - it was literally just one of those accidents."

what bs. there was virtually no wind and anyone sailing was barely moving at all. the only possible explanation was that nobody on the motoring yacht was paying any attention at all to where they were going.

He said he was "motoring slowly" but it can't have been that slowly to sink another boat. But strange that there was apparently only minor damage to Antaeus?

grrr. from that article, from the skipper of the motoring yacht:

"The sail boat actually just came across the bow of my boat and I didn't actually see it because there were a lot of yachts around and I was trying to manoeuvre my boat up the harbour - it was literally just one of those accidents."

what bs. there was virtually no wind and anyone sailing was barely moving at all. the only possible explanation was that nobody on the motoring yacht was paying any attention at all to where they were going.

After 3pm there was a good breeze - 15knot northerly.

I know its dangerous to rely on the information provided by reporters but, it seems like the skipper of Anteaus was at fault and could possibly be charged with failure to keep an adequate watch and failure to give way to a vessel under sail. Surely Maritime NZ would press charges if its as straightforward as it sounds.

It seems that Gypsy would have had a hard time getting out of the way as the wind was pretty light around 1100h, however, they failed to avoid the collision so may end up caught up in a prosecution.

A worst nightmare scenario,being run down by a vessel not watching, thank goodness there was no one below .

Gypsy is a particularly well maintained classic from our NZ classics fleet and with a relatively low number of family owners who have always kept her up. 1939 Logan, either the last or one of the last Logan bros designs( Deacon B could clarify that), there's a nice photo of her in Carters 'Glory of Sail' under her original gaff rig.

Really nice people who own her and sail her, they've been sailing her particularly well in the various classics events over the last season or three and keep her at North Cove, Kawau.

She's a piece of our heritage , in all probability lost to us now.

He said he was "motoring slowly" but it can't have been that slowly to sink another boat. But strange that there was apparently only minor damage to Antaeus?

Seen the size of Antaeus? Shes a big solid boat that would make a mess of any 100 year old piece of woodwork infront of it. Sure know it would sink my boat easily!

Its hard to read who is at fault by just the herald articles and given how many miles Antaeus has done with him driving the guys is now Newby to boating so give it time for the real story to come out i would say!

After 3pm there was a good breeze - 15knot northerly.

yes, but this was around noon near the start in still nearly drifting conditions. gypsy wouldn't have been able to get out of the way - we were maybe a hundred metres away at the time and drifting.

Got to hope that he's been misquoted in the Herald. if a powerboat sunk a classic yacht and responded like that there'd be lynchings. :thumbdown:

At noon off princess wharf I can't believe any boat under sail was doing more than 3 knots, not that it makes any difference.

Its a fair wake up call for my, and i suspect plenty of other people's prejudices, how many of us immediately thought it was a launch that was part of the collision?

I was coming home mid arvo, and there a few idiots out there. Clearly the 12 knot limit is not well known by a few.

On the plus side, there were a couple of very well behaved gin palaces we saw on saturday morning making their way down the harbou at the 12 knot limit. We got a few good puffs and passed them....

Archived