What makes a good foredeck hand ?

RushMan

As it seems I will be staying on the bow again, perhaps the fine folk of Crew would be able to post the things they look for in a foredeck hand.

Hopefully this will not become a "knuckle dragging gorilla, buys all the drinks" thread but rather a source of information for future aspiring foredecks to see what the rest of the crew expect from the silly buggers on the foredeck.

I may actually find some useful bits that I can take on board to improve my work on the pointy end.

Someone who runs the next manoeuvre though their head before it happens. By that I mean someone who knows what they have to do before they get on the foredeck and stand there looking like a possum in the headlights while they try to work it out. A minute or 2 before the next corner I'll run thru it all in my head including where my feet should be, hands doing, other foredeck people should be etc, so when the time comes there isn't any 'Err... now what moments'. If that run thru includes making sure other foredeckers or the fantasy land team do what they need to at the time I need it done so be it and the 'Are you ready to XXXXX for me?' question will be asked. Being honest that last bit is a good way to make sure fantasy land is awake sometimes without having to throw empty stubbies at them. As many of the brotherhood will attest, fantasy land can often drop the ball leaving the foredeck hanging right at the wrong moment.

It's easy to do and can save time and cock-ups. Often as you are doing it you'll notice a little something like a sloopy sheet, badly run rope or something like that, which you can easily tweak at that time rather than having to sort out a large clusterfuck 1/2 way around a mark.

A good foredecker has good 'forethought and preparedness' I suppose you could call that bit.

Scarily, I agree with KM.

There are some physical attributes that can help a bowman ... like being light, but strong is good. Having lots of stamina is good, good balance is essential and being relatively flexible and agile can make life easier for the bowman but a lot of what makes a good bowman is actually attitude and preparedness .... just as KM has described.

a good bowman

doesn't drop the kite in the piss (oh wait thats the keyboards man)

doesn't get the jib sheets the wrong side of the pole topper/downhaul, if he does, he sorts it faster than the people at the back of the boat can tack

can keep track of the 4 kite/genniker sheets and 2 braces, 2 masthead and 2 fractional halyards, kite pole and 2 tack lines when peeling extras

puts the prod away cos the piano man doesn't

talks the skipper into doing headsail peels

never has the jib sheets the wrong side of the stays

can tell the crew how to reef

can pull themselves up the mast while the others tail the halyard

can walk the prod

can fix broken stuff, i do this by making sure stuff doesn't break

has tape and a knife in his pocket

stops the waves going to the back of the boat

runs all sheets before racing because you don't trust the garden bar folk to do it

can wool the kite before the next downwind leg

i make a fiarly good foredeck hand at the worst of times. i recon once a season the trimmers should have a go on bow during a wednesday night race or something so they know what needs to be done. i find it doesn't matter how many times i run through a float drop, gybe set, conventional drop or a bear away set, kiwi drop, shotgun takedown, windward hoist they never look at whats going on at the front as to when to let things go or ease them out. maybe i just sail with monkeys sometimes

some recon my attitude is all wrong, if so why am i still asked to do bow?

As it seems I will be staying on the bow again

Can't get someone else, know the problem.

As much as i hate to admit it also agree with KM, although at the start of one short handed race he did yell hoist and i hoisted the bag up the mast.

Thinking about what needs to be done is the main ingredient just wish those behind would also.

A good bowman is easy, most cock-ups are from aft and not pulling the right strings at the right time and then blaming the bowman.

Years ago sailing Javelins we had a good bowmans union run by a guy in Wellington, perhaps that should be reserected.

http://www.bowmansunion.com/

A shirt that we could all get

shirt-751786.jpg

Some terms from the bowmans union that could also be usefull

Leech

A crewmember that never seems to have a dime when its time to pay for drinks or meals

Luff

The Front part of a sail that everyone but the helmsman seems to pay attention to

(see also Telltales)

Luff up

Something racers do to each other to catch the back of the fleet

Head

(See Stern Pulpit)

Halyard

Something that only jams or breaks when you're winning

Sheet

A line made to rip gloves or hands apart. Has ability to tangle on anything.

Bow

The part of the boat that no one should have to work on.

Temporary section of an offshore Catamaran

Backstay

The last thing to grab as your falling overboard

Stem Fitting

The hole made in a competitors boat when your helmsman misjudges a Port / Starboard crossing

Snatch Block

Men use to spend a lot of time at sea. They must have been shaped very differently in those days.

Hatch

A hole to fall into

Companionway

Another name for a hole to fall into

Heave to

Newcommers quite often find themselves heaving too

Anchor

The thing rotting in the bilge of every racing yacht (unseen)

Sewerman

A sailor that has a fetish for wet soggy nylon

Foreguy

First guy to the bar

Afterguy

Last guy out of the bar

Lazy Guy

Most YachtRacers when they're not Racing (if this one offends you, please leave)

Winch

A thing you grind till it squeals

Wench

A thing you grind till it squeals

Keel

A very heavy depthsounder only used on Unamarans(monohulls)

Interior

A term not used in conjuction with racing yachts

Comfort

Another term not used in conjunction with racing yachts

Bunk

A small uncomfortable area for wet sailors to attempt sleep

Inside Overlap

The part of a race that resembles a political debate

Round Up

Easiest way to get the oncoming watch on deck

Round Down

A bad, bad thing for a bowman out on the spinnaker pole

Gybe Set

A great way to end up on Port Tack right in front of the whole Fleet thats approaching the mark on Starboard

Pop the Chute

The sound a Poly Chute makes just as it blows apart(see America One)

Cunningham

A Sly Pig or a complicated term for a downhaul

Tactician

A kind term for a Smart Ass or Arrogant SOB or Dumb Ass or Lucky SOB

Helmsman

The nut attached to the rudder through a steering mechanism

As the old saying goes. If you are good at the boat you will stay there forever.

the only way to get off the bow is to cock it up. Then you get to move further back the boat :thumbup:

I don't mind doing bow, but only on a boat that has people that know what they are doing in the back. If they don't, your screwed.

A good bowman generally knows everything about every other position on the boat

A good bowman also need thick skin :thumbup:

the ability to anticipate is the difference between an average foredeck and a truly awesome foredeck.

being able to see the bigger picture and adapt as conditions and sh$t hits the fan is key as well.

unfortunately if you're light and good, you're in for a long esteemed career as foredeck.

But you'll find all the best brains trust's ( those at the back of the boat) have spent time at the sharp end.

some ends are sharper than others, 12 foot skiff sharp ends are sharp, as are 2 handed ones.

Well I am not anything like what Grinna has suggested :lol:

As the old saying goes. If you are good at the bow you will stay there forever.

the only way to get off the bow is to cock it up. Then you get to move further back the boat :thumbup:

I don't mind doing bow, but only on a boat that has people that know what they are doing in the back. If they don't, your screwed.

A good bowman generally knows everything about every other position on the boat

A good bowman also need thick skin :thumbup:

Sums it up pretty well.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, now to remember how everything goes together on Saturday.

The kite sheets go around the forestry, wrap around the lifelines, then get connected to the kite....

It's OK Rushman, I don't think it's essential for a bowman to be all those things .... I sure wasn't. :D

Attitude, forethought and a thick skin are pretty essential though. :)

Scarily, I agree with KM.

There are some physical attributes that can help a bowman ... like being light, but strong is good. Having lots of stamina is good, good balance is essential and being relatively flexible and agile can make life easier for the bowman but a lot of what makes a good bowman is actually attitude and preparedness .... just as KM has described.

Light... Nope

Strong... Sort of

Stamina... Hardly

Balance... Normally don't fall over until the 3rd rum

Flexible... I can see my toes, does that count?

Agile... Debatable

Hopefully the skipper will read this and realise I shouldn't be on the pointy end :D

Archived