Who else thinks this is dumb?

Cheers Squid. Just in time as the supplies were running out... That should keep us warm as we hike our asses off in the next simrad race!!! :-P

Damn - the next lot just arrived - better give some more away!!

And one for someone I was going to send somewhere I do have an address for. It'll come to me probably at 3am :?

Well its actually funny, while I kind of agree that an arm cant make too much difference to the overall stability on a 2.7ton boat, I find that on boats like the Y88 where the lower life line is tight and also quite inboard, sometimes its hard to stay out when the boat does a big heel , so the arm actually helps to get the balance point further out so that you don’t fall back inboard. Sounds strange but it’s true.

So in this case it makes a massive difference as it keeps my whole weight out instead of having me sliding back against the cabin.

I fully agree with you on this. I find in the gusts I need to stick an arm out just to keep myself from falling into the cabin

If we were to fill a chilly bin with beer + ice and keep it on the rail, would it count as moveable ballast or would it count as keeping the crew topped up?

Thanks Squid, suprisingly there was not much in the way of yachting pictures in a google of "stupid hiking", had to make do with what was returned...

Damn - the next lot just arrived - better give some more away!!

And one for someone I was going to send somewhere I do have an address for. It'll come to me probably at 3am :?

That is me hopefully. My address should still be in your inbox.

I'm away in the South Island skiing (and some work) for the next couple of weeks though.

I do believe you are right on both accounts Mr Slacko :thumbup:

Mind you we did drink the boat dry on Saturday. No panic, I think we have a dozen odd left in the reserve stash so yours is safe...... for the moment ;)

Having read all 6 pages on this post, I can't resist adding some more useless info. while I expect all my crew to stack out between the lifelines, this wasn't always the way. I dug out some scrap book "Herald" photos from the 1971 One Ton Cup sailed on the Hauraki Gulf. In the third race, an olympic triangle, Two boats, Optimist B which won the race and Warri have crew members with their legs over, but in both cases their bodies inside the fence. The caption reads "It all looks a little casual, but crew members with their feet hanging over the weather side, seem to be the "in" thing these days." I notice that in both cases several crew members are just sitting on the deck and on Warri there is even one perched on the cabin top. How things have changed. By the way the Fossil was a 40yr old and competing.

Good post Fossil. 1971...well, at least I was born by then. :wink:

Two other styles, on the same sort of tangent:

- the good old days in the A class when being on the foredeck meant you went round the entire track without leaving the foredeck. Didn't one of them have a mini cockpit up there?

- the 12 metres with the face-down, one-leg-over-the-side style.

From Sa

How are we to attract young people into yacht racing with pics like that?

Hey come sailing with me, you can get sliced through the stomach by a lifeline, see nothing, be uncomfortable and look like a dipstick.

post-3043-141887164057.jpg

Saw that one too. it could be that they're just doing that for the photo - a bit like they're all studying the keel for the photo. Otherwise we can just read the whole series of posts again regarding this shot too!

I just dont see what the issue is here, its just like any sport where your body mass can make a difference, if you want to win you have to push as hard as you can, if that means haging over the side of a boat then so be it, its part of the sport.

Check out these guys on the side car motor bike, you cant tell me thats either safe, comfortable, or easy but they do it because you have to do it to win and thats the whole reason they are out there.

images.jpeg

images1.jpeg

images2.jpeg

I get you point Booboo, and agree it makes a difference, but the difference it makes is pretty small.

Hiking makes a massive difference in dinghies, and only a very little on a 60ft keelboat. Your example with sidecars is comparable to a laser. If the guys that race big rig truck cabs around had a co driver hanging their head out the window, that would be a comparable example to a big keelboat. :D

However all racing drivers know the advantage of a right hand corner over a left hand one in a right hand drive car. It's huge. As for side cars, that's got to be the craziest pastime in sport, especially the speedway guys. If the difference between 2 60 footers was nothing and the other guys were doing it, what do you reckon you'd do?

Ok, well I get your point, but any advantage is worth it in my books.

so a TP52 or similar is around 7-8000kg, 15 crew at an average of of 85kgs is 1275kg, its over 15% of the weight of the boat, higher ground 3200kg, 10 crew at 85kgs is 850kg, thats over a quarter of the boats weight and close to the total bulb weight- Crew weight is a significant porportion of the stabillity on any racing boat.

What does a big rig cab weigh? 3-4 tons at a guess, hanging an 85kg person out the window is going to make no difference.....

Don't disagree Booboo, but why not accept it, then change the rules so it can be done in an intelligent manner?

Traps?, wings? or just keep all body parts inside the lifelines - if the same rule applies to all boats, then no problem.

Archived