NZ designed Mini 650 kitset and South pacific Mini circuit.

B00B00

Guest creative suffering
Personally I would rather coff up my share ( perhaps 2k ) towards having an international stamp with the view to perhaps being able to sell for euro 45k instead of nz 45k, and so it holds us up two months, doesn't bother me waiting. And you will also find our versions are not that much heaver than the carbon cash cows. We are only talking around 30kg difference. But hey CS I sure the others would be happy for you to join us in whatever you bring to the table. Hows that thicknesser and ram set gun going, you must be planked by now, how about some progress photos

Understandable. but it would be good to keep the interest for the local thing going.

and yes the thicknesser has done the job and the "nice little/long strips" of timber are looking fine in their stacked bundles. The jigs getting some final tweaking while i wait for the electrician to finish the new wiring for the extra lights, power points, a extractor fan , and a 2nd hand heat pump (to keep my fingers warm and the place dry!.)

the lounge is looking a better option at the moment! as i don't do below 10 degree's! 8)

Apparition you make some valid points.

Some things to think about

- Should you wish to possibly race in say the round nth Is which is currently cat 2 you will still have to go through the ISAF ISO regime.

- should you wish the boat to hold value you need to make it internationally attractive, which means a class or box rule.

- we have been quoted eu 4000 for plan approval for the mini, a huge amount on its own, but when it's pooled between all interested parties it becomes a small price to pay for international acceptance

- Personally the class 950 attracts me, but we are all different, and most of us are budget driven.

- Rob Shaw has drawn an 8mtr fixed keel yacht that would fit your wish list if you increased the cabin

- Most of the people attracted to the mini are thinking longer races that are cat 2 or 1 for the ultimate goals. the mini is the only boat that ticks all the boxes within the budgets of most.

- google class 950 and tip top and you will find a budget version of that class, but do note that to build one now the plans should be ISO compliant. We started with a budget driven mini concept, but the group wanted to step up a notch

- the other scary thing now is that if you used say your ross 35 for an example and you wanted to change you keel, the structure is required to meet ISO should you wish to go round the north Is, and the plans should be stamped.

All good points fng... I have been reading about the Classe 950 for a while and think it is probably a better fit for what I want. I know KM has shown interest in them also. How much would the budget have to be increased to build one... 2x the cost of a 650??

Re: the ISO requirement for my keel job. That is a frick'n pain in the ass. One of my primary motivations for doing it was RNI next year. I'll have to have a chat with BBW about that. Who's going to check anyway? I am sure the Transat, OSTAR etc is a bit more stringent but is anyone from YNZ really going to police this for local racing?

YNZ are still trying to figure out what to do, they are conversing with the Aussies, but they (YNZ) are pretty pissed about it as well.

Guest creative suffering
Apparition you make some valid points.

Some things to think about

- Should you wish to possibly race in say the round nth Is which is currently cat 2 you will still have to go through the ISAF ISO regime.

- should you wish the boat to hold value you need to make it internationally attractive, which means a class or box rule.

- we have been quoted eu 4000 for plan approval for the mini, a huge amount on its own, but when it's pooled between all interested parties it becomes a small price to pay for international acceptance

- Personally the class 950 attracts me, but we are all different, and most of us are budget driven.

- Rob Shaw has drawn an 8mtr fixed keel yacht that would fit your wish list if you increased the cabin

- Most of the people attracted to the mini are thinking longer races that are cat 2 or 1 for the ultimate goals. the mini is the only boat that ticks all the boxes within the budgets of most.

- google class 950 and tip top and you will find a budget version of that class, but do note that to build one now the plans should be ISO compliant. We started with a budget driven mini concept, but the group wanted to step up a notch

- the other scary thing now is that if you used say your ross 35 for an example and you wanted to change you keel, the structure is required to meet ISO should you wish to go round the north Is, and the plans should be stamped.

FNG, So what you mean is..

if you want to do anything it is going to cost $$$$ and you are always at the mercy of the ISAF ISO!

sounds to me that we should do our own thing! because... there is no residual value to a compliant 650 when it could be redundant in ten minutes or by one poor ISAF / ISO rule change!

lets do the cheap local thing, stick a finger to ISAF, set up our own club and make our own rules! and take all the "crap" costs of compliance in the sport and kick them for touch once and for all.

the 650 could be a watershed class in NZ! and maybe?... just maybe, the world might come to us for cheap racing! and to get away from ISAF (the french like that kind of rebellious stuff)

After all how much compliance do cruising guys need when they sail offshore (those private individuals)

Also...mlets face it anybody can sail from these shores with little saftey compliance (remeber that trimanran from nelson that went missing with the Aussie owvener skipper!) if their boat is reg'd in another country so all we have to do is find a country with '"FLEXIBLE" rules and we are away.

ALL compliance and regulation does is take the fun, development,innovation, and and danger out of the sport while charging you for the privilage!

Cs valid points, my take on this is we engineer it to iso anyway and perhaps worry about the stamp bit later. It would be good for yachting nz to say enough to isaf, but the do a lot more than just offshore racing so it will never happen. I will reserve my judgment untill Class Mini finally come back to us. ISAf have answed finally only stating what I allready now know.

Apparition class 950, yes Knot me is being realistic at 3 time a mini. You could beg borrow and scrape and do it cheaper but you still need to be able to keep your sanity during what ever project you undertake. I have copies of most of the relevant ISO keel guff in PDF and will forward this to you.

To help the rest of you who maybe confused with ISAF and ISO.

ISO is a world wide standard - from saftey equipment to construction. In a construction sence they are an upgraded or modernised standard to ABS.

ISAF is the International Sailing Federation - like yachting nz, but for the whole world.

ISO is a world wide standard

Actually ISO is a bunch of people. The same people who set standards, many of them the most bizarre things you'll ever see.

Sorry, having issues of late with people asking for 'ISO' goodies at work. 'Which bloody ISO standard are you wanting?'. 'Oh I dunno. The one about chain'. 'Which of the 400 odd ones about chain?' 'Oh I dunno'.

"CS valid points". Oh my God, I must have missed the Blue Moon. Where, I have to suss this.

By golly there was one or 2. Fancy that, it is possible who would have thought :lol: :lol: And only having a crack at ISAF this time, which is both surprising and something I agree with.

Come on, this is a Candid Camera thing surely. Where you hiding it? :wink:

I was having a look on the class mini website, it seems 2 kiwis are doing the mini fastnet this year. starting today. 480 Conrad Colman Racing (Betelgeuse) Conrad Colman, Jerry Richards.

does anyone know anything about them?

Just been swapping emails with some of the guilty parties, we might need another get together in a week or so to look at the results of all the work that has been done and make some serious decisions.

Guilty Parties met yesterday with some very promising results. We have a little fine tuning to do prior to calling the next meeting ( most likely in a week or so )

A few images to keep you interested to follow

post-234-141887154188.jpg

Hi

I have a 6.5 ready to go but boys couldnt get time off from youth programe so she wasnt sailed in ssanz series.

When they get back from goves cup they will start sailing.

IMG_2285.JPG

Not sure where Tiller is right now, but last week he was at the SSANZ briefing and was disappointed to win a spot prize of a handheld vhf. He had his heart set on a bottle of rum!!

Archived