2013 SSANZ ATL B&G Simrad Series

Cameron

The tracker is great :thumbup:

What would be better if it actually showed the course for each division.

I have tried to find the courses on the SSANZ website but there must be a secret location or special secret squirrel handshake required.

Why are the long haul 1 boats going both sides of Waiheke?

Wow i'd say! Over two hours ahead? Is that a typo or one hell of a story? That SR got round the shorthaul track faster than Akatea did! Nice work!!

Why so much topside to topside bad touching along with multiple discussion about peoples ancestry at the start, yet knot one protest flag was seen?

And just how many turns/tries did Revo Blues have at getting the line side of the IDM? :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was a good morning to be standing on the start boat as you, the fleet, were very entertaining.

you looked to be enjoying yourself there KM--must of had breakfast by then !!!!---Yes-- there was some blantant barging by some who should know better right sat the beginning of the video .

Happy to support Urban Cowboy if they had their red flag out .

Happy to support Urban Cowboy if they had their red flag out .

Only one boat protested of the startline and it wasn't even a boat that was infringed...someone protesting on their behalf. From what I saw Urban didn't fly a protest flag.

And just how many turns/tries did Revo Blues have at getting the line side of the IDM? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let's see...

"That start was so fun I did it three times"

or

"Didn't want to ruin my nice new lifelines" (thanks KM)

or

"Should I protest myself?"

(Worst start ever for RB, fortunately caught on film. :oops:)

Great video - total entertainment. And surprising not to see a few red flags here and there. Nothing like losing a protest and getting DSQ to discourage barging! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For the record, our approach (Hanse Off) seemed to work out ok... position in a horrible spot upwind from line, wind dies, heart stops, limp accross the line as the last mono in the race over 2mins after our gun, try to avoid being pushed into the IDM, hide face from committee boat... sigh. :oops:

No chance for protest, the IDM was about the only thing we had to avoid! ...and then we were the first to catch the new wind, and the boat loved it... twas very surreal sailing past so many boats in our own private little wind. :sailor:

Sailonline's virtual ATL B&G Simrad 50 is now open for pre-race practice. A good way to check what NOAA is predicting for wind forecasts... the WX slider in SOL goes out 7 days ahead... downloading updates 4 times a day and "releasing it" into the game in 10min pieces. V useful as you can not only review the movement of the winds but also, from an associated site, download the grib files.

There'll be a round-the-cans type practice race for anyone wanting to join in this evening (Euro time) and tomorrow... the cans remain in place so anyone wanting to use em to test mark-rounding is v welcome to do so.

The cans are Pink (Dots if you are using the default interface, boat-shapes if you are using the Classic one)!

Tonight's practice race info is here

Simrad 50 Race report for Freedom, an modified GBE, written while recovering in the spa pool!

This was my second Simrad race on Freedom, having brought a half share the week before the Simrad 100.

Going into this Race we were tied for first place with Hooters and so it turned into a bit of a match race. We totally mucked up the start timing so didn't get a great start but still just behind Hooters. It was a nice two sail reach to navy sitting on high teens the whole way until a light spot saw us throw up the screecher just before Tiri channel. Did a nice peel to the masthead genny just before Navy buoy which saw us just slip ahead of hooters. Navigating our way through the long haul monos (which had started 30 min before us) let hooters sneak ahead and then they slowly extended. Tigre had some issues just before Navy buoy but now caught us and passed us too but we held of Whio.

At Ganet rock we ended up only a few boat lengths behind Hooters but they took off on the beat home. We made some bad decisions on head sail changes that didn't help us to. By the finish, Hooters had smoked us so they should win the series on handicap, but we at least held of Whio.

Some observations from a recent multihull convert:

- My Boat is a terrifying addiction! One day I hope the fear of capsize will dissipate! Multihulls are awesome though!

- It's mind boggling to be doing 10kt on the wind, pointing higher than monos, but still getting your arse kicked!

- Today was my graduation to a long haul course. Funny thing is I did the small boat course in my 6.7m piedy, graduated to shorthaul in my 7m sportboat and then moved to longhaul in an 8.5m boat!

Archived