What is it with Jet Skiers

Battleship

Cannot understand the mentality of these Guys, we had this Genius buzzing the anchored boats yesterday in Tauranga Harbour, given that they can be a long way away in a very short time and they were less than 1 minute to a ski lane why do they choose to harass anchored vessels?

I suspect it was to display to us how awesome he was, I would normally have told him to fuc off but I wasn't on my own boat and the wife was giving me that look so bit my tongue.

Einstein1.jpg

Yeah, I've had the same issue.

FWIW, I don't think they're actually trying to be a pest; more like the sensation of speed is enhanced if there's something to actually speed _past_.

Last time it happened I got good results by making the same "slower", palm-down gesture used by road workers.

Having said that, the day you can buy homing torpedoes at Burnsco you'll find me at the head of the queue.

Anyway - aren't they supposed to be registered... and display said registration? Or is that only Auckland? He sure looks as if he's exceeding 5 knots...

I beleive this story to be true, but it might just be urban legend as I've never verified it.

One year on one of those lakes in the Waikato a jet skier got shot in the arse with shot gun pellets, wasn't seriosuly injured, just couldn't sit down for a week. The police appealed for witness. 10 different guys stepped forward and said they'd shot him.

It was the first day of duck shooting season.

No one was ever charged.

Its like one of those doble jepardy things, if everyone says they did it, but the evidence says only one did, they can't prosecute anyone as there would be "reasonable doubt" at least one of them was lying.

The thing I find most implausible is that no one could surely be so stupid as to go jet ski-ing on a lake in the Waikota on the opening day of duck shooting season...

We have a big assed spud gun that fires full sized potatoes for jet skis fizzys and other doosh bag's like this. We set the range to 30 meters if thy're inside that they become target practice.

Carpet Tacks? Just make sure the sharp end is up. :think:

The jet unit is pretty durable. Sugar in the petrol tank would be a better idea.

I think one problem is that most of the Seaflea owners don't actually know the law. I bet if many knew just what the rules actually were and thus the restrictions, there would be less actually owning one. I reckon a rule book should be supplied along with the Seaflea when it gets purchased.

I have forwarded the photo along with the name of the Launch they were off to the harbour officials.

Notice also the the pictured rocket scientist has no life jacket on so a least an instant fine is in order.

Water bomb slingshot.

Many years ago a jet skier was pissing people off in Wellington. 3rd shot was a head hit. He and his mate got the message - they did not come back.

There was a huge cheer from all those near including the then speaker of the house.

On the weekend I went to Motuhuie and anchored almost abeam the end of Home Bay wharf and close to 1/2 way across the bay. Enter from the beach area a fizz boat driver who was fixin' on entertaining his chillen on a ski biscuit.

Good on him I thought after the 2nd time he bloody roared through the moored yachts and other stinknasties just 30 m from the ski lane in full view of the Coasguard boat emblazoned with signs about boating education! And this was before my wife had swum back from the shore...

By the 5th time I was gritting ma teef, got the air horn out and warned my luvely wife ("watch ya ears" at which she looked at me kind dof funny) . A LONG blast went forth & got their attention (go figure) and I advised them politely ... ahem ...]"use the f'n ski lane"[/b.

Dumb, blank looks came back to me.

By this time the biscuit rat was clambering back on and obviously my message didn't compute so they started to move off again. Now I truly can say what I like to her - she cannot hear.

Apparently the time lag between my second warning to the Mrs and the hair trigger on the horn was not long enuff.

I absolutely believe they did not know what the ski lane bouys were.

Ignorance - while annoying is understandable but not to be excused lightly, and so with the spirit of educating my fellow sea going mates that I have yet to meet, I have resolved next time to politely row over, with air horn concealed & at the ready. I wll convey my message in a dignified fashion. If I cop any abuse they will get more than they expect - at very close range.

Air horns wake up arseholes -even the dead headed ones!

While I did feel like a bit of a grumpy prick I hope I was doing everybody a favour - even the dumb shits. I have heard that some people throw stuff...Baked beans/broken winch handles/cans of beer - although the latter never off a Townson boat. That would just be silly.

" I know a Jet Skier named Tim

I like to throw tomatoes at him

Tomatoes are soft and don't hurt the skin

But these fuckers do as they're still in the tin"

Down at Westhaven on Sunday I was impressed to see one of the harbourmasters boats shadowing fizz boats in and talking to them and writing notes :D

I was also impressed when a fizz boat roared past a yacht making its way in to see the marina security guys who were near holding up a sign telling them the speed limit.

Nice to see people doing things to protect the rest of us!

Every year I help out the Thundercat assn with their role in the harbour swim by warning boats about the swimmers. I always try to get the westhaven entrance as its more interesting. The responses from boaties when they are told the harbour is closed and they'll have to wait 15 mins and go over to bays water behind the last swimmers are amazing:

"Do you think I can sneak through them". No

"f*ck this. This is ridiculous." Not for the swimmers

"There was no notification of this event". No, none sir

"But this is a fishing charter". So

Strangely the yachties just shrug and say thank you.

Archived