Tragedy in the USA

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not mother? Agreed, but how about wise friend? Before tit's get tangled, if there is a severe weather warning  perhaps the RC could amend the SI's to reflect that? Yes we know weather is unpredictable

I bought my 15yo a Piedy, figured he is better off at a Piedy raftup than doing what I did in my youth!   I did sail my Starling from Taikata to Rangitoto & back some 38 years ago. Ended up in t

That is 100% correct. To suggest otherwise is simply wrong.   The RC is not your mother.

Nope. If you are old enough to race, you are old enough to be responsible for yourself.

Different story for learn to sail of course.

Hmmm, not too sure on this one.  In some ways yes and some no.  

I periodically take my kids along on the variety of boats I race on, admittedly, usually only if the conditions are looking ok. While we have our individual safety briefing and the rule is basically "you're on your on - I'm busy" in the event of catastrophy, I'm still responsible (legally in the case of my 12yo) 

I know I'm not the only person who takes kids racing and think it would be sad if we couldn't.  While the older child isn't all that into sailing, the younger one loves it - his biggest thrill this year was doing the (evening) race to Kauwau on the mighty Sundreamer - obviously he couldn't do much because he can barely lift the ropes but it's the experience of being a part of it.

Matty wouldn't have been much older when he was racing on SD though right Phil?

On the Desert Rd analogy, wanting the RC to take responsibility for your safety is like stepping in front of a truck crossing the road, getting killed, then complaining to Auckland Transport for not keeping you safe.

It's all about personal responsibility.

It would appear that personal responsibility is going much the same way as common sense, I.e. Not so common anymore...

I'm finding this, seemingly now constant, agreeing with you a little disturbing after you being so wrong so often in the past. What's happening to the world :D  Yeap totally agree, it does seem common sense is following the Dodo for sure.

At times there is a need to watch people and be their mummy but that shouldn't be in a grown ups yacht race. By the stage you are up to that you should have a good idea of limitations, possibilities and consequences. Kids are a little different as they have to learn a lot of that so they do need more mummy action.

It is a tricky one but who will know best, someone on the spot with it in their face or someone far away warm dry fiddling with a mouse?

Hmmm, not too sure on this one.  In some ways yes and some no.  

I periodically take my kids along on the variety of boats I race on, admittedly, usually only if the conditions are looking ok. While we have our individual safety briefing and the rule is basically "you're on your on - I'm busy" in the event of catastrophy, I'm still responsible (legally in the case of my 12yo) 

I know I'm not the only person who takes kids racing and think it would be sad if we couldn't.  While the older child isn't all that into sailing, the younger one loves it - his biggest thrill this year was doing the (evening) race to Kauwau on the mighty Sundreamer - obviously he couldn't do much because he can barely lift the ropes but it's the experience of being a part of it.

Matty wouldn't have been much older when he was racing on SD though right Phil?

Just to claify, i was talking about children racing by themselves, not with adults. skippers responsibily, whether the skipper be 7 or 70.

This thread brings to mind a little cruise i did years ago. I must have been around 13 or 14, it was my last year in P Class. Faced with a long weekend with no racing scheduled a mate and I went for a cruise. 2 P class, one pup tent, 2 sleeping bags and some food. Pretty much circumnavigated Whangarei Hr in 2.5 days.

Yes my parents were involved, they dropped us at the Yacht Club and picked us up when we got back. Bloody good fun. They'd probably get arrested for allowing it today.

Swallows and Amazons anybody?

The stuff of my dreams.  When my mate and I were 14, we put together a scrupulously planned kayak holiday around the harbour, unfortunately our parents refused to allow us to go.  In hindsight, we possibly were ill-prepared but then we did all sorts of other things that I hope my kids never do.  But these experiences make up who I am so…

In a couple of years’ time, I shall be encouraging the, by then, 14yo to take the trailer yacht out by himself. 

Maybe I’m old fashioned?

I bought my 15yo a Piedy, figured he is better off at a Piedy raftup than doing what I did in my youth!

I did sail my Starling from Taikata to Rangitoto & back some 38 years ago. Ended up in the dark with no wind at low tide walking it back around the mangroves whilst Mum/Dad wondered where the hell I was. Hadn't intended to go that far, just seemed a good idea at the time & on the sail out I had never considered the time it would take to come back. Parents were not overly impressed as I'd only mentioned to Mum first thing in the morning I was going out for a sail...