Lazy Jacks... the good, the bad and the ugly

2 hours ago, Terry B said:

Mine has them separate. Less blocks/yokes, less friction. At the spreader attachment, mine are about a metre and a bit apart from each other - can't really see the point in yoking them but others might think differently? Plus, when not deployed and not yoked, they don't add to the tangle slapping the mast at 2am as they're not near the mast.

And I can tighten or loosen each side easily (they can need adjusting a little because they're attached at the spreaders - if you deploy them on a broad reach for instance, then when the boom comes back to the centre when you drop the sail - one side will be taut, the other slightly looser).

But they both tie off together on the same cleat.

Very good points,  thanks TB.  Absolutely hate the mast slap at 2am.  

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm interested to help moderate as I think everyone should be. Can I suggest a rotating system of moderators. ie someone help Matt for a month then someone else then someone else month on month about.

I have had them on many different boats from 28 to 46 feet and would not be without them. Always leave them up too. If you have full battens and good cars with a lazy bag you can just let the halyard

My take home from rehab's last post is that lazy jacks might prevent dousing the main in a hurry if the wind pins the main against the lazy jacks. I agree. They are fine when you can point into the wi

Posted Images

On 5/04/2020 at 1:48 PM, Kevin McCready said:

My feeling, subject to being corrected, is there is less need the smaller the boat. I wouldn't bother on my 30 footer. They've been great on a bigger boat though.

Tend to agree

4 hours ago, harrytom said:

Had them on the cav 26,already fitted at purchase,useful?yes when single handed.same set up on spreaders and mast cleats,easily adjusted.,roll up head sail drop main,all tidy.ancher.no problem

That's where I want to be.

Ive had them in the past but not now, similar setup as Terry's but mine were cleated off on the boom in such a way that you could let them off and pull it forward to save chafe etc. Really good for shorthanded sailing but not so good being left up permanently. Never had issues with snagging, you just have to get the boom spacing right and mine were spliced on halfway out on the spreaders.

• 2 weeks later...

Used to have a stacpac awesome system,used to get the end of the full length battens snagged when raising main,not a big issue.Also made it virtually impossible to use trisail which had it's own track on mast.Ended up putting in a deep third reef In mainsail.Fantastic system for single handed reefing just drop sail haul in out haul slip ring over hook haul up and done.

• 1 month later...
On 6/04/2020 at 1:00 PM, Young Entertainer said:

we have the same setup,  pull the lines forward when we are sailing/racing,  never leave them out when the cover is on,  dont put them out to raise the main,  but do put them out to lower,  on my last boat (1020) i made them strong enough to hold the boom up for the drop and it saved having a topper.  Current boat has a hard vang so not required to hold the boom up and do work slightly better when a bit looser.  We will strip the boat for racing but somehow the lazy jacks get to stay

Sailed / delivery, on boats that had them and sailed / delivered boats that had them & did not have them.

Preferred the not having them. Not having requires a boom cradle on the boom.  

The boom angle controlled by the main sheet. Could hoist, drop, and reef with out changing course or having to pointing to windward. No tangling of battens.

One person could do it all.

One crew to put reefing ties on without mainsail being blown all over the place before ties were fastened.

In an emergency if pressure had to be taken of mast. Quickest way, ease main sheet, drop main instantly all the way, again no three crew to fold and tie with ties during all heavy weather sailing conditions.

Well Rehab, sorry but I find some of your posts very difficult to follow, including the one above. 

I use a stack pack on island time, and slab reefing. Full Length battens make a stack pack easier. The only time they are a minor issue is on the hoist, but having slugs on the main means I usually go head to wind for hoist and drop anyway, to help reduce friction. I just have to watch the main on hoist so the end of the two lower battens does not catch. 

I do remove the stack pack if I'm doing a real race, but mostly not. For a cruiser over about 34 ft, I would not be without one.