Ed - to clarify yes I was referring to coverage on the CC website itself not publishing to mainstream media. I’m thinking of those of us who are specifically interested in sailing and prepared to hunt down the best website for good info whether it’s crew.org (the old days) or CC website (more recently) or LSD (headlines only).

And if all the other options are providing unpredictable coverage then I’d expect the official CC website to be the one source you can rely on. But not so this time. There were no hourly updates or any juicy coverage on progress and individual boat stories there.

I’m in the minority of people not on Facebook or most other social media - because I work too closely with ‘Big Tech’ and I’ve known for 10yrs what they do so I came off SM long ago.

But if the simplest and most cost-efficient delivery channel for the (budget conscious) CC is FB and other SM platforms then I’ll just have to accept I’ll miss out on the CC coverage. It’s a small price to pay in return for my privacy which is far more important to me than an annual yacht race 😊

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Again I'd like to highlight the comments about how good the party was. Is the Coastal Classic a yacht race or a party? The quality of the racing is being substantially degraded to enable a b

So, 119 NM in 28.5h if you’re in div 5.  If it’s upwind the whole way, which we know is not likely as you’d normally get a reprieve if and when you round Brett, but just for argument‘s sake let’s

I would call it an 'Event' rather than having to define it as either a race or a party. People do these 'events' for many different reasons but in all cases its for a weekend enjoying doing what you l

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Clipper said:

The lack of discussion here probably has more to do with crew.org than lack of interest in the coastal classic?

Here is the  for the last few years the use of crew.org has been pretty static. The stats used to say 1200 odd users per day, but most of that was spam users. That stat is still similar, but unimportant.  Now that the newer software lets us filter that out much more effectively, we have more accurate statistics. Here is a graph of the last 2 years from google analytics...

image.png

So you can see we have about 450-500 real users per day on average. This is down about 10% on last year. Most only read, and don't post. Most of the advertising we used to have has gone to Google. Most of you are using ad blockers, so the revenue from that is virtually gone.  IMO this is due to fewer sailing posts and more political nonsense and arguments.

People here like to read about sailing. Members should be encouraged to post their experiences and activities. I'm open to suggestions, or anyone who would like to take on the admin role.

The graph below is this year - pretty stable totals now.

image.png

Before selling the Davidson 28 (which has gone to a lovely young couple down in Napier) I did the math on a CC race just for a laugh. Reckoned we could finish before cutoff given ideal weather the whole way up but anything else would be hopeless. It's pretty hard to set up an event that long that caters to everyone from the ocean racing crew down to the bottom end with the piedys etc.

Currently sitting on the cash pondering it should go to a house deposit or more boat shenanigans. 🤑

19 hours ago, 44forty said:

Have to agree but I’ve noticed SA has also gone a bit quiet Since covid hit . Less interesting sailing talk and more bitching and moaning .

as for the coastal you do have to scan all the Media platforms to flesh out the picture a bit which is fine if you put the effort in . 

Generally speaking (I could be wrong) media and sailing dont really get on. The sport is slow and technical from a spectators point of view but lacks wide appeal of another dull sport like test cricket. The nicest way to put it is live sailing is an acquired taste from a spectators point of view. The last AC had every brain in the media business, vast gobs of money, the pinnacle of yacht racing in a stadium format and yet it still failed to really capture a wide audience.

The interesting thing about the AC (and MotoGP, F1 etc) is the human backstories, the infighting, the politics- the coastal gets interesting when big swinging dicks are competing for records. The race out of the Sydney harbour on boxing day is a classic!

Sailing forums like SA are sadly densely populated with middle aged men mostly keyboarding about glory days or putting other people down, so I would not use forums as any kind of metric to gauge interest in the sport. 

12 minutes ago, Veladare said:

From a competitor perspective is was a very well run event.

Pre organisation was good and from the minute we got to Russell it was superb. Prize giving was seamless and the after match was awesome...cant fault it. 

So well done NZMYC

That’s cool and I’m glad it was enjoyable. But I’d also like to hear from some of the 85% of boats (some +140 crews) who didn’t make it into either the media feeds or the race cutoff. 

Remembering of course that all their entry fees contributed considerably to the financial cost of running the race and hosting the party - probably 25k or so?

41 minutes ago, Tamure said:

Generally speaking (I could be wrong) media and sailing dont really get on. The sport is slow and technical from a spectators point of view but lacks wide appeal of another dull sport like test cricket. The nicest way to put it is live sailing is an acquired taste from a spectators point of view. The last AC had every brain in the media business, vast gobs of money, the pinnacle of yacht racing in a stadium format and yet it still failed to really capture a wide audience.

The interesting thing about the AC (and MotoGP, F1 etc) is the human backstories, the infighting, the politics- the coastal gets interesting when big swinging dicks are competing for records. The race out of the Sydney harbour on boxing day is a classic!

Sailing forums like SA are sadly densely populated with middle aged men mostly keyboarding about glory days or putting other people down, so I would not use forums as any kind of metric to gauge interest in the sport. 

I meant media platforms that the coastal was being covered on ...Instagram , Facebook , live sail die , YouTube etc .

ironic comment about middle aged keyboard sailors on sailing forums ! 

12 hours ago, crump said:

Before selling the Davidson 28 (which has gone to a lovely young couple down in Napier) I did the math on a CC race just for a laugh. Reckoned we could finish before cutoff given ideal weather the whole way up but anything else would be hopeless. It's pretty hard to set up an event that long that caters to everyone from the ocean racing crew down to the bottom end with the piedys etc.

Currently sitting on the cash pondering it should go to a house deposit or more boat shenanigans. 🤑

When i launched first boat in 1980 it was equal to a 4brm house in mt albert. When i sold It 8 years later I  got a 15% deposit on the same house.  If i had bought the house instead of the boat i would have been 10 times better off and could have bought the boat as well.

Sad but true.