This Weekend's Achievements

you missed the E1050. Or did you just assume it would be quicker than Steinlager 2?

Thanks for being RO, hope head wasnt too bad in the morning.  But next year, please dont forget to order some wind.

Opps, you're quite right you were in there as well.  The head was thumping a bit, not unlike the diesel banging away right under it which sure did n ot help. The RIB was far nicer to it. That cream stuff, very tasty but it was not really needed at the time :)

In from one of the Nigels when I asked if anyone knew of the origin of the term.

'Nigelated', I'm going to have to get that one in somewhere :)

nigel.png

Had a thought then pulled most of my deck gear off and re-jigged it all.

Some got repositioned, most got totally replaced.

Got in just over 8hrs flight time in 2 different aircraft. Nice.

Rebuilt a morse. $400 up for a new telegraph put us into valium mode. The old MV-1 was seized, years of salt getting in and no grease. I jokingly said to a friend as I removed the back of the gear box "this is usually when a spring flies out..". A spring and a ball bearing flew out. Soaked it in diesel and got the neutral button freed up, stripped it down and added a grease nipple. Works! What a job hooking up the cables..Another story.

Pulled my mainsheet and jib tracks off, drilled out oversized holes in preparation to epoxy and re-drill then reseal the bolts (they were starting to leak).

Had the same on the jib tracks. Are they counter sunk on top? We used a sealant a year ago as the water was getting down through the counter sunk screws last year. Didn't have to remove them. Not a problem since.

Had the same on the jib tracks. Are they counter sunk on top? We used a sealant a year ago as the water was getting down through the counter sunk screws last year. Didn't have to remove them. Not a problem since.

Yeah, they are counter sunk into the track holes. To be honest, most were fine. Except for a few where a bolt entered on the outside but didn't exit in the cabin...

The main reason for doing it was to seal those few up. On the mainsheet track, two of the starboard bolts would leak when water was pooled there. When I drilled them all out I found some mushy core. A bent nail on the drill cleared that out, just letting it dry for a while before applying epoxy.

I'll probably cut the track a bit shorter because the water was pooling due to the track touches the cockpit sides and the water couldn't clear properly. I have plenty of mainsheet to run the boom all the way out, so don't really need the last car position. Looking at it, the original track has been cut to size anyway.

This weekend was spent bogging and grinding (and cursing!).

The bob stay was slowly falling off and that held the rig up, so needed fixing. Once off the reason for the issues became clear- no filler or reinforcement. The bolts were simply through bolted into duracore which offcourse was now the consistency of soup.

Pretty lucky we did this actually. So traced the wet stuff back and luckily it was constrained by glue lines. Still big hole in my boat;

A37A0B84-9D25-45BB-8835-4F9AA1EEAB28.jpeg

So replaced with high density foam and hi density filler, laminated with biaxial cloth and faired. Vinyl patch and new fitting goes on tomorrow.

While out I antifouled and started to fit my new Selene prod so one the rig is properly secured we can load her up.

Wow tazzy lucky you caught that before it tore right out. An item like that bolted through foam is a disaster waiting to happen.

We have been ver busy on the Motorboat II(ex squealer) Elliott 10.5. Replaced some large sections of deck where there was some soft spots, rewired the entire boat, all new lights, all new instruments, new autopilot, new stereo(quite large...), sorted safety gear for cat 2 plus so many smaller jobs.

And 2 weeks ago I completed the trip from France to NZ with the family, sold the 50fter and brought the Elliott.

Been a big few weeks, or years actually.

received_183953015832627.jpeg

20181102_235705.jpg

• Upvote 1

Got my track holes all drilled out, bolts in and sealed up with lots of sika. Also trimmed the end of the main track off as this was causing water to pool as it was too close to the cockpit side.

Next is to attack a bunch of old deck hardware holes on the cabin top which have been filled with just silicon.

Our "weekend" has lasted 6 months. New

Pulpit. Stem repairs. Winch service. New forsail. Deck rain catcher...launch tomorrow.

That theme sounds familiar. Congrats on your self discipline.

Looks great.

A 3 month "quick and dirty"  morphed into  10yrs leaving no stone unturned.

Nights, weekends, the odd week off.

Did one 22hr shift on the deck. The boys fronted bigtime.

Still puzzled.

Salt in them tha veins?

That theme sounds familiar. Congrats on your self discipline.

Looks great.

A 3 month "quick and dirty"  morphed into  10yrs leaving no stone unturned.

Nights, weekends, the odd week off.

Did one 22hr shift on the deck. The boys fronted bigtime.

Still puzzled.

Salt in them tha veins?

Thanks Lats, looks good from a distance...up close? Well, the paint is ON! Rain catcher getting a good workout right now in Pekapeka Bay, Whangaroa and ran the still saturday so now have 7lts of premium export quality Crazyhorse HOOCH...life in the wind and rain (with fresh snapper) isn't too bad!

1543776676896883790776.jpg