This Weekend's Achievements

Was transported a shortish distance from yacht club to my house up a twisty road utilizing a Nissan Navara with a Hydraulic transmission lifter lashed on the tray, Borrowed digger trailer with an engine lifting crane bolted to the back end, motorcycle tie downs, carpet off cuts, a not insignificant amount of overhang, a firm belief in luck and no plausible Level 4 get out of jail story....

Middle coat is Resene 81a Etch Primer.

Full System was:

Linbide/orbital/ Hand Sand old coatings off.

Detergent/waterblast extrusion. 

Allow to dry.

Tramline Sand with 180g paper top to bottom. 

Air Dust, then clean whole thing with Wax and Grease remover, changing to clean rags regularly.

Mix 81a and B etch primer and catalyst and allow to stand for 20 mins induction time, meanwhile:

Apply Hydrafos Acid/Water Mix (2:1) with garden weed sprayer, allow to fizz but not dry out, wipe with clean damp rags then dry with paper towels until they come clean. 

Wax and Grease remove again, wiping with clean rags as you go (think Mr Miyagi Wax on/off here)

Spray 1 Wash Coat of etch primer.

Allow to dry overnight.

Then apply chosen top coat - in this instance Resene Durepox Black 1st coat thinned 20% followed 10 mins later by the same but with 10% clear added for a bit more sheen and a serviceable finish.

A LOT of work but considering the worn and beaten to sh*t original Metallic Grey Caprathane that was on it from New I had no real other option but to paint.

Quietly stoked with how it's come up 😎

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, funlovincriminal said:

Was transported a shortish distance from yacht club to my house up a twisty road utilizing a Nissan Navara with a Hydraulic transmission lifter lashed on the tray, Borrowed digger trailer with an engine lifting crane bolted to the back end, motorcycle tie downs, carpet off cuts, a not insignificant amount of overhang, a firm belief in luck and no plausible Level 4 get out of jail story....

Middle coat is Resene 81a Etch Primer.

Full System was:

Linbide/orbital/ Hand Sand old coatings off.

Detergent/waterblast extrusion. 

Allow to dry.

Tramline Sand with 180g paper top to bottom. 

Air Dust, then clean whole thing with Wax and Grease remover, changing to clean rags regularly.

Mix 81a and B etch primer and catalyst and allow to stand for 20 mins induction time, meanwhile:

Apply Hydrafos Acid/Water Mix (2:1) with garden weed sprayer, allow to fizz but not dry out, wipe with clean damp rags then dry with paper towels until they come clean. 

Wax and Grease remove again, wiping with clean rags as you go (think Mr Miyagi Wax on/off here)

Spray 1 Wash Coat of etch primer.

Allow to dry overnight.

Then apply chosen top coat - in this instance Resene Durepox Black 1st coat thinned 20% followed 10 mins later by the same but with 10% clear added for a bit more sheen and a serviceable finish.

A LOT of work but considering the worn and beaten to sh*t original Metallic Grey Caprathane that was on it from New I had no real other option but to paint.

Quietly stoked with how it's come up 😎

Looks awesome man ….you should put a Ctech sticker on it for a psychological advantage against your competition .

That durepox black is the dogs bollix !   We have that on our new prod and it’s hard as nails 

• Like 1

Apparently I can still row a dinghy, left the oars on the yacht though.

I can swim to the yacht to get the oars and bring them back, that would be much safer than just using the outboard wouldn't it?

If I had a kayak I could fish from it, but I don't have a kayak.

If I finally get to the yacht in the dinghy can I stand on it at the mooring and fish? Its less than 200m from shore.

Why is everything so confusing now?

Friday afternoon/Saturday ... Painted new charcoal metallic boot top above my laboriously reclaimed white gelcoat factory stripe. Re drilled bolts for rudder top gudgeon, removed, freed up and reinstalled grease gland packers for bearings. Fitted rudder bearing tube and rudder. No play now!

Installed new prop and prop speeded sail drive and prop. Wife and kids masked and sanded teak interior window trims. 

I prepped external window surrounds and installed vhb tape, and marked and masked window outlines.

20211015_161408.jpg

20211015_193639.jpg

20211015_193724.jpg

20211016_174827.jpg

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

This weekend, after 35 years of sailing . . 

I learned to whip a line.

Let the mockery begin. 

35 years ago my father taught me how to whip a line - still it’s a hit n a miss for me… about 50% work out well.

10 minutes ago, DrWatson said:

35 years ago my father taught me how to whip a line - still it’s a hit n a miss for me… about 50% work out well.

Were it not for Ytube I would not have even tried. 

My dad was MIA, figuratively not literally.