Jump to content

This Weekend's Achievements


Guest

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, funlovincriminal said:

I was wondering if normal sign writing vinyl would handle the heat.

 

The labels are a metallic label, Marine Stainless used to get new ones printed but no idea where from.

If you can get a photo of a good one, a printer would be able to reproduce. If it is any help 4 o'clock is about 180 deg😃

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 new carbon/foam steering plank and new carbon removable prod .

my mate Scott worked his butt off designing and building the rudder . The internal structure is very much like an aircraft wing with spars and ribs .

It was CNC cut from a thin carbon/foam/carbon plate . When it was assembled and glued Scott put each end on blocks and stood in the middle and it only deflected a wee bit so it’s damn strong . The core is expanding foam and the skin is carbon . It’s not super light but it has positive buoyancy and it’s feckin stiff .

the prod is a repurposed carbon spin pole we found cheap on T me . We took a splash off the bow and glued a 1.9m piece of the tube to that . The side brace bits are a 500mm length of tube split in half and glued on then wrapped up with shed loads of carbon . It will be through bolted into the anchor well and easily removed for trailering or marina berthing.

we are copying the Figaro 3 bobstay system where the bobstay is not fixed to the prod . It passes through a tube in the prod and will have a low friction ring for the tack line to pass through . Will be interesting to see how the prod behaves under compression .

 

08B42AFD-22D4-43DC-8530-2CE51E4FB610.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cameron said:

The Figaro 3 type bobstay system makes a lot of sense... Only loaded when tackline is.

This is the one we copied , but only one bobstay/tack line 

C8125C74-1DEE-4BB3-AC8D-61E52B8C83A5.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/09/2021 at 2:10 PM, 44forty said:

 new carbon/foam steering plank and new carbon removable prod .

my mate Scott worked his butt off designing and building the rudder . The internal structure is very much like an aircraft wing with spars and ribs .

It was CNC cut from a thin carbon/foam/carbon plate . When it was assembled and glued Scott put each end on blocks and stood in the middle and it only deflected a wee bit so it’s damn strong . The core is expanding foam and the skin is carbon . It’s not super light but it has positive buoyancy and it’s feckin stiff .

the prod is a repurposed carbon spin pole we found cheap on T me . We took a splash off the bow and glued a 1.9m piece of the tube to that . The side brace bits are a 500mm length of tube split in half and glued on then wrapped up with shed loads of carbon . It will be through bolted into the anchor well and easily removed for trailering or marina berthing.

we are copying the Figaro 3 bobstay system where the bobstay is not fixed to the prod . It passes through a tube in the prod and will have a low friction ring for the tack line to pass through . Will be interesting to see how the prod behaves under compression .

 

08B42AFD-22D4-43DC-8530-2CE51E4FB610.jpeg

Nice.  What boat are they going on to? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the only pic I have at the moment .

Its a bit different to a MK1  7.8 . The sheer line is straight and it has a bit less rocker I think . Also the rig is 1 metre taller than standard .

297B44E0-700C-4923-858D-3ADBF1C900CB.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

These spring gales gave me the courage to risk a police challenge and visit GH to replace Fogg’s dock lines with a set of more suitable sized lines (custom made a while ago by KM but have been sitting at home).

 

2F244619-DB78-4724-A696-CD1D78DE342E.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Big day coming up tomorrow. We get to leave the peninsula and drive to Birkenhead for jabs. Heading ashore now to put gas in Angela 's car, check the tyre pressure and consult google maps. Then come back and make a nice picnic lunch. Have I missed anything?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Black Panther said:

Big day coming up tomorrow. We get to leave the peninsula and drive to Birkenhead for jabs. Heading ashore now to put gas in Angela 's car, check the tyre pressure and consult google maps. Then come back and make a nice picnic lunch. Have I missed anything?

You know they are doing drive in Jabs at North Shore airport now? I was booked at Birkenhead (cause it was the only place with appointments within 2 months), now currently booked via the Dr's at Bunnings car park, but got this message about the Dairy Flat Airport. Sunday - Wednesday, 8 something to 3 something. Got it via text and email on Friday night. Amazing what happens when they fly in more vaccine stocks...

You could go today and not even need gas for the car (save the environment, and some $$$)

I even got some priority booking code, making me feel like some under-privileged Moari or Tongan. I was going to forward it to David Seymor to see what he thought of middle aged white guys getting priority booking codes...

Give me a call if you want the details.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

I got that text too but we are all excited about our big outing. Been booked since pre lockdown and too lazy to change it.

If it is a drive in centre, be prepared for a sore arm for 2 days. I think its because you cant drop arm down to fully relax. Had it last Sunday and still felt it Tuesday night but bonus no flu symptoms

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fitted the prod last night and tried it out today in first spring series race today .

It has transformed the boat downwind and we have gone from a 40 something masthead m2 spinnaker to a 100m2 gennaker . 

boat felt great , heaps more power and speed and so nice to be apparent wind sailing again after 6 months of spinnakers only .

8CE65E12-2E38-40E7-A2DA-5DA8F43BA765.jpeg

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, B00B00 said:

That looks really good. Nice work.

Have you sold the shaw? 

all credit to my mate Scott , he’s pulled some big hours and done a superb job . 

Sort of sold the Shaw , lockdown is drawing things out a bit so hopefully it will go to a new home by early summer 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, harrytom said:

If it is a drive in centre, be prepared for a sore arm for 2 days. I think its because you cant drop arm down to fully relax. Had it last Sunday and still felt it Tuesday night but bonus no flu symptoms

Ive had both jabs, nothing at all. After the first one I had to double check they'd actually done the jab. Standard seems to tell you to look away, and then say it's all done. Such a small needle I didn't even feel it. I felt the second one, but no side effects at all.

My daughter had a really sore arm, couldn't sleep on that side for a few days.

A mate had massive headache for a week after jab 2, but no side effects after jab 1.

Seems to hit everyone differently.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 44forty said:

Fitted the prod last night and tried it out today in first spring series race today .

It has transformed the boat downwind and we have gone from a 40 something masthead m2 spinnaker to a 100m2 gennaker . 

boat felt great , heaps more power and speed and so nice to be apparent wind sailing again after 6 months of spinnakers only .

Looks great, I'll be staying away from you on the start-line at Bay Week :-)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...