Coastal Classic Next Year

I'm sure people of all boats competing in the Coastal under 40ft / PHRF .870 don't reasonably expect to feature in the overall prizes (monos)

So do we lobby for a Corinthian division - similar to IRC division but more relevant.

Criteria

Sundowners or finish drinks on board

Sleeping bags on board - part crew ok

Breakfast

clothes for trip home

Squabs - optional

Lack of Pros or Sailmaker / rigger masterminds or organising the boys from the loft because you bought a new A5

No Powered winches - unless you have 3 separate enclosed cabins and/or an oven and cockpit shower

No canting keels / extra rudders, extra dagger boards

I'm trying to be tongue in cheek, but with the faster boats getting faster, the smaller boats, and / or displacement boats are rarely going to be in the overall results. Part of the Coastal heritage is that everyone does it every year. I fear that unless the bulk of the weekend warrior fleet continue to feel like they are included and recognised, this might change.

Am I alone in this thinking?

Like the idea a lot.

I don't think there should be a time limit for a longer race like the coastal. Felt terrible for the slower boats not making the finish after all that effort.

A staggered start would be good but where do you draw the line? A bit impractical to have starts all day, but even say 3 starts at 9,12 and 3 would even up the finishing times somewhat.

That said still love the event great organisation and fantastic destination.

Very hard to get a fair result across all divisions when the start is in the morning. Be better if it started in the evening :-)

However, the issues raised have already been noted at the NZMYC and some ideas are coming out which may help. We'd welcome all ideas.

How about one small simple thing that would make a hell of a lot more think they are included and part of the game and help keep interest of those who can't make the sail.

Don't stop all coverage/news/updates an hour after the glamor boats arrive. The last race there was nothing after 7.30 odd in the evening. That is common in previous races also, exactly as it also is in the Fiji and New Cal races. The first day of boats arriving then nothing.

The funny thing is that everyone can pretty much pick with reasonable accuracy the finish order of the glamour boats before they even cross the startline, which just goes to show where in the fleet the real racing is happening.

Yes definitely, Corinthian displacement monos. There is a big gap between the arms race up front and the ultra light stripped out down wind trailer trash type sporties.

Bring back Corinthian, that was the back bone of big fleets for so many decades previously.

Totally agree not all of us have open cheque books and carbon everything. I feel a bit like that with rni we intend to do in 2017 it's almost what's the point looking at the entry list.

I'd love to see something for the normal boats

Omega 8, the boat that won the overall PHRF prize was designed in 1994. It has been updated, and is very well sailed, but I thought it was great to see some different boats coming to the fore in the prizes this year, thanks to the conditions.

Knot Me, what you are saying about race coverage stopping after 7.30 simply isn't true. I wrote thousands of words about the race (pre, during and post) and at least half of those words were about boats that didn't get to Russell in the top ten. We had two TV channels there and TVNZ gave more airtime to the two Div 5 boats it was interested in than to the headliners, and Greg Pearson from TV3 was put onto a Div 2 boat to experience what 'real' racing was about. Ditto the Fiji race, a report was done every day and if not all then most members of the fleet were covered every day in some shape or form, and it was distributed far and wide, and on the race website. With the coverage being light overnight in this year's Coastal, that was more to do with there not being a lot of input from the fleet overnight, but there were still trackers and live progress times for you to check out. Stephen C did a fantastic job here on Crew.org.nz firing through messages from the racecourse. I think we are pretty good at celebrating the spectrum of racers in the fleet, on the whole.

(For the RNZYS coverage - click on Race Bulletins

http://www.rnzys.org.nz/Sailing/MajorRe ... fault.aspx )

Also, the majority of the coverage is at volunteer level (by that I mean that even those what get paid, get paid so little it might as well be a volunteer job).

So with regard to the topic,..

I was lucky enough to be on a finishing boat but did wonder about all the boats that never made it. 1400 or whatever it was seemed too early.

An old mate of mine said he stopped doing the race when the finish time changed because he can't see the point - he knew he'd never win anything but would at least get satisfaction from 'completing'.

I can't see that there would be any harm (other than to the poor buggers on the finish boat) in having a later finish time for the cruisers, non-modified and small boats.

Don't stop all coverage/news/updates an hour after the glamor boats arrive. The last race there was nothing after 7.30 odd in the evening. That is common in previous races also, exactly as it also is in the Fiji and New Cal races. The first day of boats arriving then nothing.

Sorry mate I'm going to have to correct you again. For the 2012 RAYC Sail Noumea Race (Auckland to Noumea), every single boat got a mention and we continued the coverage right up until the end. Every boat that enters deserves to be recognised.

The website for Sail Noumea is still live so feel free to check out the reports here - http://sailnoumea.com/news

So my contribution will be firstly to quote Jono's original post to get it up on this page:

I'm sure people of all boats competing in the Coastal under 40ft / PHRF .870 don't reasonably expect to feature in the overall prizes (monos)

So do we lobby for a Corinthian division - similar to IRC division but more relevant.

Criteria

Sundowners or finish drinks on board

Sleeping bags on board - part crew ok

Breakfast

clothes for trip home

Squabs - optional

Lack of Pros or Sailmaker / rigger masterminds or organising the boys from the loft because you bought a new A5

No Powered winches - unless you have 3 separate enclosed cabins and/or an oven and cockpit shower

No canting keels / extra rudders, extra dagger boards

I'm trying to be tongue in cheek, but with the faster boats getting faster, the smaller boats, and / or displacement boats are rarely going to be in the overall results. Part of the Coastal heritage is that everyone does it every year. I fear that unless the bulk of the weekend warrior fleet continue to feel like they are included and recognised, this might change.

Am I alone in this thinking?

and secondly to add that although I have been lucky enough to have done the race on some very quick boats, I also have fond memories of sunrises at the Brett etc, and also note that it is a big thing when sons do their first Coastal with Dad. So yes, I reckon it is worth giving those competitors what they feel they need to be recognised as what is probably the mainstay of the race from the point of view of entry numbers.

Jono, another addition to your list would be the enjoyment of an evening meal that is a minimum of a stew, eaten from a bowl or mug, with bread rolls although the gold standard is always going to be a roast. Freeze-dried would be specifically excluded.

I read about an event (in england?) where each boat had to prepare a dish under way, a pot luck was held at the finish and the winning boat was the one with the tastiest food. My kinda race.

Loving all of these ideas. Omega and frenzy where the standout boat's for me this year. One of the ideas where are thinking of running for our racing fleet as well as handicap wins is a system where each boat guesses how long they think they will take to do the race. The boat that finishes closest to their estimated time wins also. Gives everyonea shot.

We were the smallest boat in the Coastal for the past 2 years. The idea of staggered starts is a great idea. My suggestion is a 9 am start divisions 4,5 & 8. 10 am divisions 2 & 3. 11 am divisions 1,6 & 7. If the finish time was extended to 1700 Saturday this would give an extra 4 1/2 hours for the smaller boats to finish.

It would also be great to see the faster boats in the race up the coast rather than only before the start.

Back to Jono's original idea of a Corinthian division is a good idea especially if it gets more boats on the start line.

I know the NZMYC don't want to fix what isn't broken in a fantastic race but some small tweaking could get more entries.

Zoe and Stephen did a wonderful job with the updates. Reading them all with rum after we finished was a highlight. (Obviously we could still read them as the rum bottle had just been opened)

The other thing that gets me is that they have 100 plus boats in boi after the coastal and no race series the weekend after the race :shock: :shock:

It seems crazy that everyone then goes back up there in jan for boi race week when they've all been there in October??

being trailer trash like elevation I also vote for a staggered start.

Archived