Jon

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:03 PM

Getting someone to cover a one day event is quite easy
For the RNI you need someone for a month, the race only takes 16 to 18 days but with the build up then wrap up plus prize giving your talking 25 to 30 days non stop.
Sure it may only take half an hour to write something everyday but gathering that info and getting it out is what takes the time
Leg two finish I got 3 hours sleep in the two days it took the fleet to finish (but I did find out that craft beer is as good as sleep on the beer tour)
To get the good oil you really need to catch the sailors as the hit the dock (think the LSD Skinner video)

The more I think about it to pay the likes of LSD to cover the entire event you would be talking 50 to 100 % increase in the entry fee.
The best sailors do it two handed

#352 notnes

notnes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:11 PM

When was the last time a yachting event was on the 6 o'clock news and not in Boating NZ?

#353 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:20 PM

Coastal Classic?

#354 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:53 PM

RNI was on 6 o'clock news
Also 3 local newspapers plus YNZ news, these all contacted me for updates during the race.
The best sailors do it two handed

#355 smithy09

smithy09

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,570 posts
  • LocationMairangi Bay

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

Nice discussion here!!

I agree with what Jon appears to be saying above. Others kept in touch. Boating NZ is a business. The model is meant to be "Write interesting stories that the NZ boating public want to read, increase readers, attract advertisers". They fell over at the first hurdle because they were lazy and had no-one reporting on what is a big race in NZ terms. Josh and Damon are Pros and made sure their story was heard. It was the same prep and attention to detail that won them the race. No argument there. 

The issue is lazy journalism on the part of Boating NZ.

If there was some way of getting Live Sail Die on board for the whole race, then you know coverage would be awesome!! Imagine Drones covering Wellington Harbour entrance!! Especially for when the fleet left! (Huh Vesna? :-) ) I have no idea how that could all be paid for, I just know that they would be the people who could get it done! 

Jon, I have no idea how you keep your enthusiasm levels so high? Maybe it is just waiting to see another Skinner type video that keeps you going. Huge job you do mate and much appreciated.

For those who haven't seen it, this is gold, even if we were the butt of the joke: 

Want to make God laugh? Tell him your plans!.

#356 aklsailor

aklsailor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:21 PM

Skinner's never going to live that 1 down is he!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users